SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Raehm, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:57 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
835 Posts
Discussion
RC Motor Comparisons

This is my review of alternative motors.

At this point, I am using the GForce G10. See Below:

My first upgrade was to the Eflite Power 10, which is pricey but very reliable (and durable if you crash alot).

A cheaper alternative is the GForce G10 (http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=1&item_id=228)

Here are the comparative specs:

Eflite Power 10
KV: 1100
Weight: 122 g (4.3 oz)
Max. efficiency: ??
No load current / 10 V: 1.2 A
Current capacity: 32A
Motor Diameter: 35mm (1.40 in)
Shaft diameter: 5mm (.20 in)
Overall Length: 43mm (1.60 in)
Suggested prop: 10x5 to 12x6 electric
Price: $60

Gforce G10
KV: 1250
Weight: 106g (3.7oz)
Max. efficiency: 80%
No load current / 10 V: 1.2 A
Current capacity: 35A
Motor Diameter: 35mm
Shaft diameter: 4 mm
Overall Length: 1.55
Suggested prop: 12X5, 11x8.5, 10x7
Price: $23.50

As you can see, the GForce G10 has a higher KV (more speed) and a higher current capacity (for larger props). The GForce mounts directly on the stock motor mount, but you need to use the prop adapter included. It's aluminum, and very prone to warping in moderate to hard landings. Be sure to order replacements prop adapters when ordering this motor. Also, you cannot use PZ props with this prop adapter, but you don't want to anyway.

Props: I prefer the APC 10 x 7 for it's speed, but it is not durable and breaks on hard landings. An alternative is the EMP Neodym 10 X 7, which like the APC, comes with inserts for different shaft sizes.

ESC: After trying several, I settled on the hobbywing pentium 40a esc (http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...php?item_id=51). It is fully programmable, and incorporates a UBEC "Universal Battery Elimination Circuit", that converts battery power into a consistant and safe 5 or 6 volts (preset at 5) for receiver and servos. You will need to add Dean's connectors, which I recommend over the PZ connectors, if you choose to use the GForce Batteries.

As for batteries, I use GForce 30C 1800mAh 3S 11.1V LiPOs, (http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=8&item_id=336) which are less than half the cost of PZ batteries, and features the superior "Deans" connector.

The Motor, ESC, Props, and batteries are all available from Valuehobby.com, with whom I have had good experience.
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Raehm; Dec 08, 2010 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:02 PM
Watch my trickeration! Oops...
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Dec 2010
248 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. It was kind of you to put it all together like that. I will take your recommendations and go with the G-Force motor and the ESC you described. I'm not sure of the programming card. Exactly how does that work and does it stay in the plane???
Mustangman50 is offline Find More Posts by Mustangman50