HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Cliff,

Before adding the FPV gear I was flying 10 mins and only putting back in about 650mah (conservative with the throttle, little wind). However with higher winds and more weight I expect if I fly 10 mins I will be using 80% of the batteries capacity. Not the best thing in the world but these are not expensive lipos either.

I just had the first flight through goggles with it, solid 15knot wind (white caps) and it flew great. I wish I could show you the flight but my easycap failed big time, one video didn't close properly and on the 2nd attempt it maxed out my laptops disc i/o causing skips and dropped frames its unwatchable. I have a better solution for that in the works.

I think I need to either upgrade my antenna's or get a stronger TX. Everything looks fine during level flight but when I bank hard the video gets lots of static. At the furthest I went away from base (about 500ft measured on google) when I would turn back I would lose video for a moment. I just kept the motions and as it levels out video comes right back but its pretty scary. Not sure if I should bother trying to build a better antenna for this 10mw setup or just move to big tx (only 10g's more) but it will also consume more power etc. When I get the new recorder situated I will ask for diagnosis from everyone. I'm really trying to stick with the 2.4ghz receiver built into the old fatsharks I have. I get more flying done if I have less gear to worry about.
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienofun View Post
I wish I could show you the flight but my easycap failed big time, one video didn't close properly and on the 2nd attempt it maxed out my laptops disc i/o causing skips and dropped frames its unwatchable.
Same here. EasyCap, more like EasyCrap.

Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
What os are you guys running with easycap? I'm running windows 7 and it can be a pain in the butt sometimes. On occasion I have to reinstall the driver.

Oh well, I guess its the price I have to pay for being cheap. Think I paid like $6.67 shipped from Hong Kong.
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
I'm running it on Vista... or should i say, I'm not running it on Vista, because i cant get the thing to work!! EasyCrap is a definite!!

Anyone know of a better solution to replace EasyCrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
What os are you guys running with easycap? I'm running windows 7 and it can be a pain in the butt sometimes. On occasion I have to reinstall the driver.

Oh well, I guess its the price I have to pay for being cheap. Think I paid like $6.67 shipped from Hong Kong.
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
JT, I actually shouldn't be complaining about the ezcap. I think the reality is my hard drive is dying and can't keep up with the file being written, its a very beat up macbook (core2duo2.16Ghz/4GB/OSX10.6.8). I was using the easycapviewer software http://bentrask.com/easycap/ thing is I tested it a few weeks ago and it worked great but I noticed the other night the hd was a little louder and I think its about to die. I will start using a camcorder I already had, I didn't realize it had AV in!

Charlie

FWIW: I tried the easycap on a dell mini9 but it couldnt keep up at all, it was running windows 7 (32bit I think). It has a PCI SSD and 2gb ram, even using amcap with the preview turned off the files it captured stuttered. It couldn't keep up, I only got it to capture a decent frame rate when I dropped the quality way down so I gave up. oh well.
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post

Win 7 on a netbook(1gb ram, 5400 120GB HD, 1.67 atom). Pretty much a recipe
for an epic recording disaster and failure. But I got it for like 9$ shipped, so I
guess I can't complain too much... Gonna switch to a Aiptek or one of those
BR3002 deals that Daemon speaks so highly of...

Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:25 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Im sorry you guys are having problems. If anyone comes up with and inexpensive alternative please share. I have only used mine a dozen times or so. I need to get a patch antenna and one of them inverted v's that ibcrazy makes.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
That is great and to top it off it isn't taking you years to build. I am super impressed mate. damn!

So you are close to flying. now fly the damn thing fpv!!!!
Thanks a lot .. actually the quadrocopter was already built long time ago, I trust it so much , this is why I used it as my experimental FPV ship

I'll post my results when I fly it FPV

Thanks again

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:38 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Skydiver jumps from Skywalker

Here are 2 still shots from "Maj. Terrin Barlow" who's just jumped from Randy's (rsowder) Skywalker. I'll post the video from the drop tests sometime this week:

These were from the initial drop tests performed with a 12" G.I. Joe (Maj. Barlow), a 24" Estes parachute, a Y cable connected to the flaps switch and a servo velcro'd to the SW body about at the CG. Hit the flaps and the servo releases the rubber band holding your skydiver to the airframe.... it falls.

The biggest challenge is the wind drift, but the weight of a 12" GI Joe with the 24" chute is pretty nice and looks as close to scale while falling that I can think of. Oscillation of the diver in the wind wasn't too bad with this setup. Yu won't barf when watching the footage!
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Thats aawesome! Can't wait to see the video...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
These were from the initial drop tests performed with a 12" G.I. Joe
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
376 Posts
my best footage so far, from my bixler. Hoping to install true FPV cam/tx equipment sometime next summer (I'll be away from home till June) on deployment.

Aerial Footage of Corsham, Rudloe, Westwells, Hawthorn and Box (4 min 8 sec)
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
My First FPV Plane

I'm new to FPV and completely addicted! Here is a recent video I made from one of my flights. This is my first plane:

AXN Floater Jet
GoPro Hero
900Mhz, 800mW video kit

http://youtu.be/ryfQAetoYWA?hd=1
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Last edited by Tracks; Jul 11, 2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Trying to fix embedding
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:13 PM
BelgiŽ
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
First fpv plane

This is my first fpv plane. I have already a little experience with a mpx minimag but now i bought an easystar as fpv platform. Since this is my first fpv plane, i tried to make the setup as simple as possible. A 200mw 5.8ghz transmitter and the cheap hobbyking cam. Ground station is just a 7 inch lcd screen. I will soon do some tests and make probably make my verry first fpv flight.

Ow yeah, i'm new here, i'm from belgium and english is not my native language. So sorry my imperfect english.

Greetings;
TtnmsTheDust is offline Find More Posts by TtnmsTheDust
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,519 Posts
Mother Ship, work in progress. My favorite things..
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev