HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:58 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,755 Posts
My latest Stryker (#4).

I started building it Friday at lunch time. I flew the maiden Sunday and it flew well.

The second flight was with the VTx on to check my set up out. It was taking serious hits with my 9C w/Castle 4ch Rx and the 400mw 1280MHz VTx powered so I landed to resolve the issue at a later time.

The third flight was going great I just wanted to fly a bit since the wind has stopped me for about the past three months. I made several low passes and on the final pass I rolled right and began to climb out and as if the right aileron detached it began to roll left and sink even with full elevator. It nailed a friends house at full throttle. It happened so fast I never pulled the power back. The impact sounded like a car crash. The sheet metal on his house was pressed in about 3" with a diameter of 20" or so.

Hopefully my electronics survived the antenna on my Rx broke as did the positive battery wire on my speed controller. My home built 360deg pan and HK pan/tilt were destroyed. My Thunder Power battery took a beating crushing the leading 1" My 180deg servo had the tabs ripped off so its only good for gluing in place now. And my ET V3 logger had no data on it I'm hoping the impact didn't damage it

...anyway! the only pic I have is the pile. I had designed the fins and added winglets. It did seem to track better with the enormous HK cheese camera strapped to the front. My last two Strykers had a bit of a tail wag as if the CP was to far forward. It had a quickie paint job because the blue mask I used was older and paint bleed through and the white underneath was mottled so I just threw some florescent orange fade on for good reference for my spotters.

Here's the pic and my video test. The ET never initialized and I couldn't get it corrected but I wanted to take a flight with tthe VTx on and check the signal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NUOT_Yawpe4
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,193 Posts
Flying in rain close to funnel clouds FPV Dragon Link RC (2 min 44 sec)
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:46 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexedit View Post
If you don't mind. I seen this in the other stickied thread of fpv videos. If your going to post here can you post a picture of your plane :P
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:07 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Heres my latest attempt to create more shade. Its a 4.15M Southern Sailplanes "Eclipse" I picked up slightly used for a good price. It was a pure sailplane, so I did a motor conversion and added the FPV gear. Im just waiting on the RVOSD Gen5 to be released and it will be ready to maiden. Its fitted with SN555 cam, 2.4/500Vtx, 433DL LR, 360deg pan/tilt and a 5000mAh/3s. Its HUGE!
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:06 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,771 Posts
Huge?? Your right on that point. How you get that into a car?
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:08 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Heres my latest attempt to create more shade. Its a 4.15M Southern Sailplanes "Eclipse" I picked up slightly used for a good price. It was a pure sailplane, so I did a motor conversion and added the FPV gear. Im just waiting on the RVOSD Gen5 to be released and it will be ready to maiden. Its fitted with SN555 cam, 2.4/500Vtx, 433DL LR, 360deg pan/tilt and a 5000mAh/3s. Its HUGE!
That's awesome. With all that wingspan, why didn't you mount the VTX somewhere out on the wing? I'm also waiting for the RVOSD Gen5 (because I like the RTH feature which is very useful for inherently stable aircraft, even if it's just rudder-only control) but I won't trust it in my expensive gliders just yet because like all new hardware, it may have some firmware bugs.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:59 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Wow! That's fantastic!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
I was lucky to score the airframe for just $350. Its been flown 30 times off a winch, and is in excellent condition. The wing is 2 piece, so each panel fits in my sedan easily. The tailplane slips off and the fuzz fits in the front seat.
I thought about putting thr VTx outboard, but as the plane was second hand and as it had already been completed, I didnt want to hack it up. (cos im lazy) I have tested the gear and dont seem to have any interference issues yet. Nice clear pic, and no servo jitter. No ferrites either. The DL antenna is on the fin so, thats miles away. If there are any issues I will rehash it. Also I have another 2 planes with VTx outboard, and its a pain to have to hook up everything just to test video every time. Much easier to just have it all in one location. Im even toying with the idea of putting the GPS module under the hatch too. If it tests ok then thats where it stays.
Now just waiting for RVOSD.
Cheers
Frank

PS, the RVOSD Gen1 was only for stable aircraft as it had no inherent stabilisation. Gen 2,3,4 all had thermopile stabilisation. Gen5 comes with 3gyro/3accelerometer stabilisation. My Gen4 is rudder elevator, but rudder connects to ailerons and it stabilised perfectly. It also controls altitude, has fly by wire, heading hold and position hold a/p features. My Gen4 works well, and the failsafe RTH has saved my bacon more than once.
F
Last edited by ommadawn; Jun 08, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:50 PM
vAMPire
Germany
Joined Aug 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Nice glider but you should really do yourself the favor and discard those crappy plastic props!
I used them in a ~600W hotliner when one blade broke. The resulting inbalance ripped the motor out of the glassfiber fuse and I was just able to land it because the motor was still hanging on the wires.

I really recommend to you to get some Aeronaut or Graupner props.

regards
Henni is offline Find More Posts by Henni
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:03 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henni View Post
Nice glider but you should really do yourself the favor and discard those crappy plastic props!
I used them in a ~600W hotliner when one blade broke. The resulting inbalance ripped the motor out of the glassfiber fuse and I was just able to land it because the motor was still hanging on the wires.

regards
tottaly +1 here is a vid where one broke on me
La Bufadora baja california mexico ritewing zephyr fpv crash (1 min 51 sec)
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:23 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henni View Post

regards
Definitely noted. Its still in the setting up phase and im in no hurry so will look for something more expensive to suit. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:

Geezzzz, Ommadawn, you really know how to make us green with envy don't you?

That's one sweet rig there, bet you are keen to get that airborne.

Cheers
Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:22 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Geezzzz, Ommadawn, you really know how to make us green with envy don't you?

That's one sweet rig there, bet you are keen to get that airborne.

Cheers
Mr_B
8)
//
Actually, Im not in a hurry as my success rate with new planes has been about 50% in recent times
Nervously apprehensive, cautiously optimistic, and scared silly would be close.
Mind you its still probably going to fly before your.. what was that plane again?.. big white foamy glider thingy.. I cant quite remember, its been so long...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:11 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
Fpv plane in the making

PROGRESS REPORT

this is a fpv plane im in the proses of making and just thought id post what i have done

the first pic has all the details

A: flight battery ONLY not connected to any electronics just motor

B: electronics battery for the VTX and the RX/servos (using external UBEC)

C: hobbyking 1watt 2,4GHz VTX with IBCrazy's CP cloverleaf antenna

D: camera/ tilt mount (servos isn't hooked up yet)

E: 45amp castle creations ESC

F: ASTRO motor with planetary gear box (10,000RPM max)

G: 11x8 master airscrew 3blade prop

H: homemade fiberglass motor mount that clamps on with 6 bolts (fiberglass panel on the bottom too)

I: "fire wall" type mount with rubber washers in between the 4 bolts and wood to reduce vibrations (all bolts have lock nuts on them so they don't vibrate off in flight)

PS:the battery that runs the motor is independent of the RX/ servos and the Video link... in case voltage drops or i run out of power there will always be a strong link to the controls...

in the 3rd pic there is two panels made sitting on top of the plane, the on in the back covers the motor and the one in the front will be hooked to a servo on a 3 position switch and will be an "air scoop" to cool the electronics and motor... as i live in Michigan USA and when its cooler out i can close the scoop for longer flight time as the motor run quite cool at cruse

in addition there will be 3 carbon fiber rods to straighten the wing... the construction materials are 1/2" Blue Foam (for the wing), 1/4" poster board (for the fuze), 1/8" plywood (for cam mount), fiberglass/ epoxy, and some packing tape

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Last edited by crazy1pilot; Jun 10, 2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: forgot to add constrution materials
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:49 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,529 Posts
to: crazy1pilot
You will have hard time balancing this wing. Did you fly this wing before ? If not you can use this wing calculator to find out where is the CG.
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=38&...ow_mac_lines=0
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev