SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Im currently running a Turnigy 2826-6 and just ordered a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3530-1340kv The power rating is about the same but i will be putting a 8x6 prop on it rather than the 7x4 on the old motor. I May try up to its recommended 9x5 but we will see how it goes.

For the 2200kv's im building a aluminum motor mount with cooling scoops and fins to hopefully bring the temp down (One has my fingerprint burned onto the chrome)

The lower KV and bigger prop keeps my thrust about the same but will have more low end power for climbing and control. Ill loose about 15-20 mph im guessing but that will be fine since I usually flew the 2200 at 1/2 throttle or less.
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Iv always worried about cooling with in-runners... Maybe its just because my outrunners are really touchy to outdoor temp/power.
Outrunners are inefficient and burn lots of their power away. You feel that as heat. Plus most poeple overload them, and since they don't short, they think the temp is ok.

If you are running 30 amps, you got nothing to worry about with an ARC 28-47.

Here's me running an ARC 28-47-1 at 1400watts, 4S, 100 amps:

HET Super Sniper with ARC 28-47-1 (2 min 20 sec)

and an ARC-28-58-1 at 2000 watts, 6S, 100 amps (60,000RPM)

Revolt on ARC 28-58-1 (1 min 28 sec)
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
If you are running 30 amps, you got nothing to worry about with an ARC 28-47.
wow... That is awesome, so running one of these with a 6x4 or 7x4 would probably keep it around the 30-40A range? I use a 45A esc so i have some spare room to increase power a little if needed.

The 1700kv 3 turn version is looking even better... It can handle a larger prop for more thrust, just less speed.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
wow... That is awesome, so running one of these with a 6x4 or 7x4 would probably keep it around the 30-40A range? I use a 45A esc so i have some spare room to increase power a little if needed.

The 1700kv 3 turn version is looking even better... It can handle a larger prop for more thrust, just less speed.
6x4 would be about 25-30 amps(with good 45C batts) and 39 ounces thrust

7x4 would be 30-35 amps with 56 ounces thrust, way over kill.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,860 Posts
my latest video piloted plane, just finished, well mostly. My 'Avro' Polaris seaplane. From the Polaris XL Depron kit sold by Aeromodel. Dam this thing was a lot of hours compared to the usual FPV foamie (Zephyr excepted). Kinda fragile too, though I glassed the bottom half.

BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
my latest video piloted plane, just finished, well mostly. My 'Avro' Polaris seaplane. From the Polaris XL Depron kit sold by Aeromodel. Dam this thing was a lot of hours compared to the usual FPV foamie (Zephyr excepted). Kinda fragile too, though I glassed the bottom half.
Ya, We have one of these hanger queens sitting around our garage... It took so long to build i dont really want to wreck it. now, my Hotwired wings that take 1 hour from foam block to flying... those are fun!

Cant wait to see some FPV water action! I may have to dust mine off

Is that the grayson hobby microjet v3? thats what i have on mine... works great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:25 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,860 Posts
The motor is the Spin Max 2810-9 . 1500Kv. Need to dig up an 8x6 for it. Has a 7x5 onnow, but it is not enough (but ESC stays cold with it)

still have not decided where to maiden - on water, on grass or at our rough flying field.

Hey I like wings, now that I have got past the learning curve w my Z2. Just ordered a Tek Sumo. Some local guys are really keen on hot wiring wings, maybe I should hit em up for a couple. I understand I can use my ImaxB6 charger to power a wire wing cutter myself, too.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
The motor is the Spin Max 2810-9 . 1500Kv. Need to dig up an 8x6 for it. Has a 7x5 onnow, but it is not enough (but ESC stays cold with it)

still have not decided where to maiden - on water, on grass or at our rough flying field.

Hey I like wings, now that I have got past the learning curve w my Z2. Just ordered a Tek Sumo. Some local guys are really keen on hot wiring wings, maybe I should hit em up for a couple. I understand I can use my ImaxB6 charger to power a wire wing cutter myself, too.
I would recommend over land first, even with the proper CG my first few flights were a bit questionable. it flew different than most Iv flown.

Oh, my motor is a 2200kv and uses a 6x4

For a hot wire cutter, you can get a 24v transformer light dimmer, and leads. They are very easy to make, and you wouldn't be risking damage to your charger...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Quote:

I built one of those for FPV, too. Mine is about 90% finished for 3rd person. Please do share some video when you can!
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:27 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,918 Posts
That one is really good, even off the water. Look up GGtronic's video as he fly's it.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Sexy

A year ago I found on RCG some pictures of a wing constructed by somebody from Germany. He called it SEXY. I modified the plane to have more space in the fuselage.
Have you ever tried taking pictures of your plane while piloting it? I took these that way.
My advice - do not even think about it.
PistaJ is offline Find More Posts by PistaJ
Last edited by PistaJ; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistaJ View Post
A year ago I found on RCG some pictures of a wing constructed by somebody from Germany. He called it SEXY. I modified the plane to have more space in the fuselage.
Have you ever tried taking pictures of your plane while piloting it? I took these that way.
My advice - do not even think about it.
Outstanding and fantastic JOB! Well done!
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,566 Posts
Pistaj.....Tell us some more about the Sexy. It looks like wood sheeting? How does it fly? Has great FPV potential.

Is the wing built up or a foam core? Power system?
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
And if you maybe have a link to the original thread? Or if you could post a picture straight from the top, straight from the side and the front...And tell us which airfoil you used
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:11 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Just finished.

mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans