SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Heres my latest... Its Fast... Just have to hook up my OSD and Transmitter and its ready to go!
Again... camera too front placed...
Please, recess camera as much as you can, and enforce the nose / leading edge under the camera with some balsa or, better, if you have some 1-2mm ABS, heat it with a gun until it's soaked and mold it on the wing nose.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
I have wing like yours

Nice clean build but for the battery wires they really stick out in the wind

Love to see video of this flying

Kevlar weave with epoxy works well[ to reinforce nose area if you plane of hrd landing

Other wise just land here like it should and you will be great

Nice to see someone makemaerodynamic wing or plane rather than brickm house aerodynamic plane

Yours looks good except for wires and them major hanging out which is major drag

QUOTE=chanyote66;22745604]Heres my latest... Its Fast... Just have to hook up my OSD and Transmitter and its ready to go!

[/QUOTE]
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
But David it's foam..
rc_fpv is offline Find More Posts by rc_fpv
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
Ya but looks like he has great camera on it and is aerodynamic

Would love to,see fpv video

Hate the wires out in the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_fpv View Post
But David it's foam..
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
The Wires are now tucked in, These shots were right before its Test Flight. I have a video coming soon for it just editing it now. A 120mph dive made me almost sh#$ myself... never had this fast of a plane, its awesome!

22 min of FPV + 5 min of test flight on one battery.
Flew a total of 14 miles (Total distance)
With a Max of 2 miles so far... Farther once I throw in my DOSD...

I wont do a fiber weave because of where I fly. Yes this is fast, but it will crush if I accidentally crash into something... Flying over Ranch homes and a spread out town does have a chance to crash into something (I have designated crash sites throughout the area just in case...)
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,554 Posts
Multiplex FunJet FPV

This is my latest addition to the FPV fleet. I have three lightweight EasyStars (l and IIs), but with the windy autumn coming up, I felt that I needed something that would penetrate the wind better:

AUW is 520gr with a 2826mm 1900kv outrunner, a 1800mAh 3S LiPo and 200mW, 1040MHz VTx and cam.

Flies very nicely, but she's a bitch to launch despite the low-power motor. Too much throttle, and she'll torque roll and lawn dart before you can compensate. I launch her at 30-40%, and then everything is (almost) fine. Why Multiplex prescribes 100% throttle on launch is beyond me...

Video below is not that interesting, but note the torque roll on launch. I used about 50-60% throttle on that occasion:
Multiplex Fun Jet FunJet on board camera twisty launch (5 min 46 sec)
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Sep 17, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
The Funjet Ultra is great to fly, not fun to launch. I laugh how in the instructions they say "for the perfectionists among you, the FJU has a slight tendency to roll to the left upon launch". I am generally not good at hand launches and the Funjet Ultra scares me every time I do it. I love/hate that plane.

I gave up throwing it and use vertical launch holding the plane vertically out in front of me. I still use a lot of throttle though so the plane gets up to a controllable speed faster. I just do not like having to throw like an Olympian leaving my right hand not on the sticks while the plane tries to roll over. I launch my MPX Dogfighter the same way but I can use a lot less throttle since the prop is in front.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Anyone have any recommendations on more efficient motors? My 2200kc Turnigy is only 70-80% efficient and gets really hot spinning a 7x4 prop. This is my only concern with flying farther... Im going to drop it to a 7x3 and add cooling scoops but I just need a better motor...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations on more efficient motors? My 2200kc Turnigy is only 70-80% efficient and gets really hot spinning a 7x4 prop. This is my only concern with flying farther... Im going to drop it to a 7x3 and add cooling scoops but I just need a better motor...
I would like to stay within the 300-400watt range and around a 7'-9" prop
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Just noticed I can change this
Toowoomba QLD, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
99 Posts
I know the Bixler has been done to death but here is a quick pic of mine.
The camera pan mount is just a quick rough test one until my better camera from SC2000 turns up.
Its an ARF model with a thicker wing spar and a 6x4E prop. 200mw 5.8ghz video and corona 2.4ghz RC gear.
It should serve me well for the casual FPV flying I have planned for it.

Okisub is offline Find More Posts by Okisub
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Again... camera too front placed...
Please, recess camera as much as you can, and enforce the nose / leading edge under the camera with some balsa or, better, if you have some 1-2mm ABS, heat it with a gun until it's soaked and mold it on the wing nose.
I am building some Z2 style skids for it, but so far its done great. Even if i recessed it into the EPS it would hit on impact because of the planes speed and softness of the foam. I would have to take it back about an inch into the foam and then the wide angle will see more plane than view...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okisub View Post
I know the Bixler has been done to death but here is a quick pic of mine.
Nice plane! Iv been thinking of a Bixler but they never have it in the HobbyKing USA warehouse... Might have to go with the Bixler 2 for a nice slow flyer...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:30 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
http://lightflightrc.com/HTML/products/ARC-28-47-2.htm

I have run those motors up to 1400watts at 100amps in EDF's. That version is the 2 turn version and should easily handle +50 amps at really great efficiencies(like, edging 90%).

It should pull about the same as your current motor (30-40amps), but be more efficient overall.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Iv always worried about cooling with in-runners... Maybe its just because my outrunners are really touchy to outdoor temp/power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
I run a himax 2025-5300 at close to the 60,000rpm limit. I had 1 failure 2 days ago after like 3 years of using those motors, but I think it was a manufactering defect, the magnet cracked in half... They do run hotter, but they kick BUTT for insane speeds!!!
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut