HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:50 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Probably not. It's very wide angle. One my Tri I have them almost next to each other.

Get a piece of scrap foam and make a dummy to try it out.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
I am planning a Zephyr FPV build and ordered my 54" kit from ritewingrc.com. I am a fan of Trappy's videos and set-up and have studied his builds. Trappy places the GoPro to the side of his FPV flying cam, which results in the HD recordings showing part of his wing and the FPV cam. I am thinking of building it differently -- my idea is to stack both the FPV cam and the GoPro on top of each other (see the pictures). Has anyone tried this approach? The FPV cam I am thinking about is the HQ550, which is tiny (23mm x 23mm). The Zephyr wing must be at least 1 3/4 inches thick (not sure as I don't have the kit yet).

The attached 3d renders are just quick and dirty... obviously a LE is not flat
The 3d rendered images assumes a wing thickness of 1 3/4", FPV cam of 23mm x 23mm, and uses the actual GoPro dimensions. We will also not be using any pan or tilt for either cam.

Has anyone tried this approach? Can it work? Will the GoPro clear over the nose of the plane? What do you think?
With the rounded nose of the Zeph, I don't think you will be able to embed the FPV cam that nicely. Also, as soon as you land on anything irregular (or land abruptly ), you are going to bash the FPV camera to bits.

On mine, the FPV camera is going to be installed right next to the GoPro (GoPro on the right, FPV cam on left if you are looking from the back), so the lenses are as close as possible. Don't over-think it.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:07 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
With the rounded nose of the Zeph, I don't think you will be able to embed the FPV cam that nicely. Also, as soon as you land on anything irregular (or land abruptly ), you are going to bash the FPV camera to bits.

On mine, the FPV camera is going to be installed right next to the GoPro (GoPro on the right, FPV cam on left if you are looking from the back), so the lenses are as close as possible. Don't over-think it.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have to get the kit to take a look at the side by side option. I also saw this cam from futurehobbies.com, which should go into the nose nicely. I have to research the cam a bit more, but looks like a decent one (KX 400BHQ) with 600 lines.
timnilson is online now Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:53 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Gopro is going up front, also more things need to be done, i want to keep the canopy on so the camera is getting a new position. AUW 32oz with 3s2600mah no gopro

paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Phoenix 2000 FPV

PHOENIX 2000 FPV - 2m FPV Ship from HobbyKing (1 min 30 sec)
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Nice video! ave you tested the plane yet? I like the SIMPLE setup, very much my style.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,646 Posts
Quite a few reviews for the Phoenix on youtube, it seems like a great plane.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:40 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Is your pan/tilt on a head tracker? It looked pretty smooth to have been on switches.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,602 Posts
Quote:
2 questions

Where did you get your 900mhz patch antenna?
And
Where os are you running with the easycap? I have one on it's way but I'm running windows 7. Some people how found drivers for it but I can't find out if they work til it gets here.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
ReadymadeRC sells the patch antenna.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,039 Posts
Nice looking plane LLoydh.
The fuselage looks like good soft durable plastic. Probably something like the JP Greensleeve/Rok2000 fuzzes I have been using.
Heres a couple of shots of the latest quick hybrid. I just cobbled this bird together out of leftovers
I was using the Radian elliptical wing, but I picked up a Radian Pro wing to try out, as I wanted to play with crow mixing. Test flight this weekend.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Is your pan/tilt on a head tracker? It looked pretty smooth to have been on switches.
No head tracker, the pan & tilt servos are linked to two dials on the Futaba 9CHP (VR A & B). I might change the pan setup to a 3-position switch which will make it a little easier to control during flight.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
Who done it?
Erie, CO
Joined Oct 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
No head tracker, the pan & tilt servos are linked to two dials on the Futaba 9CHP (VR A & B). I might change the pan setup to a 3-position switch which will make it a little easier to control during flight.
You may be interested in this thread about programming the 9C for Left Stick P&T Control during flight...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362265
rawlmark is offline Find More Posts by rawlmark
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
2 questions

Where did you get your 900mhz patch antenna?
And
Where os are you running with the easycap? I have one on it's way but I'm running windows 7. Some people how found drivers for it but I can't find out if they work til it gets here.
1. The patch antenna came with the rest of the gear from Range Video - http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...products_id=17. I havent given this setup a thorough test as yet but from what I have read, the range video setup should work well.

2. Im using WinXP on my netbook and I forgot to mention in the video that the stream through the EasyCap is captured via Virtual Dub software - www.virtualdub.org. There is a microsoft program included on the installation disc (cant remember what it was called) but Virtual Dub is much easier, simple and packed full of features. I would be surprised is you couldnt find a driver for EasyCap on Win7. It should automatically detect the device when you plug it in to the USB. If not im sure someone on this forum would be able to help you out.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I am thinking about hooking up a Pan servo on the 3-position switch on my 9cap also. Will probably do it tomorrow.