Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3f0rc3 View Post
anyone know where i can get some good stickers or decals for my wings. i need some cool looking stickers since my fpv ship is all white its so bland.
I had the Police crests on my wing custom printed on vinyl decals from Stickerhub.com. You can basically get them to print any image you would like.
Tracks is online now Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:23 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Bixler FPV setup

Bixler FPV with 1.3ghz 800mw bev rc tx and rx.

Gopro hero 2 for live feed and hd recording.

Bixler reinforced with CF and fiber tape.
swartzracing is online now Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Means laughing in Swedish
Kingdom of Sweden, Stockholm County, Jakobsberg
Joined May 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
OK I'll bite...

How on earth does it fly with all that weight on it ?
I put my GoPro on my Skysurfer as well as the FPV cam and it flies like a ruddy brick (standard motor and prop)
You know that the case for the gopro wheights almost 50g (same as the gopro itself) and the skrew holding the case wheights 11g. I also fly with the case but with nylon skrew holding the case instead and the back door with holes (non waterproof) .
Why does nobody use the live video out from the gopro?
skrattar is offline Find More Posts by skrattar
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Yea the case weighs quite a bit, but I just cant stand flying the hero 2 without protection! I actually had my first crash non FPV with the Go Pro mounted and if i didnt have the case the camera would have been done. I use the video out and it looks good so far. I think people dont use the video out due to the gopro not handling lighting conditions as well.

cheers,
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined May 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Yea the case weighs quite a bit, but I just cant stand flying the hero 2 without protection! I actually had my first crash non FPV with the Go Pro mounted and if i didnt have the case the camera would have been done. I use the video out and it looks good so far. I think people dont use the video out due to the gopro not handling lighting conditions as well.

cheers,
Try change the skrew to a nylon one with nylon nut. 10g lighter. Yeah maybe lighting. I have a pain watching my 7inch lcd in sunlight. Dont afford a fatshark yet.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrattar View Post
Try change the skrew to a nylon one with nylon nut. 10g lighter. Yeah maybe lighting. I have a pain watching my 7inch lcd in sunlight. Dont afford a fatshark yet.
Just use some cardboard or other opaque material and make a shroud, works well for me even in direct sunlight.
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined May 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Just use some cardboard or other opaque material and make a shroud, works well for me even in direct sunlight.
My case looks exactly like yours . Yeah need some sun shade. Would be nice with black dollar tree foam board?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,158 Posts
Quote:
You know that the case for the gopro wheights almost 50g (same as the gopro itself) and the skrew holding the case wheights 11g. I also fly with the case but with nylon skrew holding the case instead and the back door with holes (non waterproof) .
Why does nobody use the live video out from the gopro?
I am unconcerned about the weight, and these little cameras are remarkably resilient without them. I fly with the case on my larger 100" wing, and without the case on my 48" wing.

Also remember, you can get the skeleton case which has holes in the sides and it is also lighter than stock.

Im unsure why you say nobody uses GoPro's live video out, could you clarify? A bunch of Atl FPV pilots, myself included use the Gopro for both recording and transmitting video signal, many persons also choose to run a separate camera dedicated for FPV, it all depends on your budget and your needs...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,622 Posts
Quote:
My case looks exactly like yours . Yeah need some sun shade. Would be nice with black dollar tree foam board?
I have about 6 sheets of white and black dollar tree foam, but I don't think it will hold up as long as cardboard, eventually I am going to make a nice black fabric folding one
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I am unconcerned about the weight, and these little cameras are remarkably resilient without them. I fly with the case on my larger 100" wing, and without the case on my 48" wing.

Also remember, you can get the skeleton case which has holes in the sides and it is also lighter than stock.

Im unsure why you say nobody uses GoPro's live video out, could you clarify? A bunch of Atl FPV pilots, myself included use the Gopro for both recording and transmitting video signal, many persons also choose to run a separate camera dedicated for FPV, it all depends on your budget and your needs...
Just that i see a lot of gopro planes with extra fpv cam. Whats up with that? I think the live out works great.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:49 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Just that i see a lot of gopro planes with extra fpv cam. Whats up with that? I think the live out works great.
Many people found the original GoPro liveout too dark, and the FOV was too wide. Now, both issues have been resolved with the GoPro2. All I ever used was the liveout of the GoPro (until I killed it.)
Tracks is online now Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:40 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
So I just got back from my first FPV flight and I have a few questions for you guys!

I have a HK Bixler and Im wondering what the max weight you can run in the bixler? My weight for my Bixler is 1353grams with a 2200mah main battery and 800mah video tx battery, and Gopro with case.

It was kinda windy today and when I launched the plane I had lots of trouble controlling it, didnt even get a chance to look at the monitor due to the plane being pretty unstable in the air.

Also for the bixler with FPV platform what should the CG be? I CG'd at 60mm and it was slightly nose heavy. Should it be more nose heavy then perfectly balanced?

You guys expertise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nicholas
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,622 Posts
Quote:
So I just got back from my first FPV flight and I have a few questions for you guys!

I have a HK Bixler and Im wondering what the max weight you can run in the bixler? My weight for my Bixler is 1353grams with a 2200mah main battery and 800mah video tx battery, and Gopro with case.

It was kinda windy today and when I launched the plane I had lots of trouble controlling it, didnt even get a chance to look at the monitor due to the plane being pretty unstable in the air.

Also for the bixler with FPV platform what should the CG be? I CG'd at 60mm and it was slightly nose heavy. Should it be more nose heavy then perfectly balanced?

You guys expertise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nicholas
Got a picture of the setup? Nearly 1400 grams is pretty heavy, what motor are you using and prop? I weighed in at around 1150 grams using stock motor, prop, 2200mah 3S, 1300mah 3S, 120 grams of landing gear, fpv cam, tx (1.3Ghz), bluebeam 3 lobe SPW, with stock motor and 6x4 APC, with CG around 58mm (mostly to counteract the LG effects), I still had a lot of climb on high throttles but overall flight characteristics where good, for another 200 grams in weight I would want a better motor on their then the stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:14 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Got a picture of the setup? Nearly 1400 grams is pretty heavy, what motor are you using and prop? I weighed in at around 1150 grams using stock motor, prop, 2200mah 3S, 1300mah 3S, 120 grams of landing gear, fpv cam, tx (1.3Ghz), bluebeam 3 lobe SPW, with stock motor and 6x4 APC, with CG around 58mm (mostly to counteract the LG effects), I still had a lot of climb on high throttles but overall flight characteristics where good, for another 200 grams in weight I would want a better motor on their then the stock.
Thanks for the reply! I will share a photo tonight of my setup. Everything is stock except for the added CF rods in the wings and rear rudder and aileron and im running a 6x4e prop . I did paint the body if that makes much difference. Im running a 6x4e prop. Im going to go through my wiring and cut down the long un needed wires and try to lighten it up. Do you suggest I use one battery for power and VTX power?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I will share a photo tonight of my setup. Everything is stock except for the added CF rods in the wings and rear rudder and aileron and im running a 6x4e prop . I did paint the body if that makes much difference. Im running a 6x4e prop. Im going to go through my wiring and cut down the long un needed wires and try to lighten it up. Do you suggest I use one battery for power and VTX power?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Not really unless you have a filter to clean the power. Personally with your weight I would step up the motor to a 2200kv with the same prop.
RCG Plus Member