HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:56 AM
Lichfield, England
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Help!
Twin Apache 3 views???

I have been scouring the wonderful wonder web for three views of the early Twin Apache, and thonly ones I can find don't look right. Anybody seen any good three views. I believe the designation is Piper Apache PA23-140

I have searched Bob Bankas site and he may have a three view. But I thought I would try on here first.

Cheers
Danny
septic is offline Find More Posts by septic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:32 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Danny,

Try http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue..._apache_3v.jpg. By the way, I don't think Piper ever made a PA23-140. I used to own a PA23-150.

Enjoy!
Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:56 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Cool stuff!

This would have to be one of the sweetest handling twins I've ever flown. It has very benign yet sporty handling with very gentle landing characteristics. It should make a good model airplane. A little bit of trivia, the wing has slightly more dihedral but is the same size, shape and airfoil as the Piper Super Cub(PA-18-150) although totally different structure and materials. I received my multi-engine rating in a PA-23-180, Doyne conversion.

Randy

P.S. Danny your photo airplane has modified wingtips.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:27 AM
Lichfield, England
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Hi Brian and Randy, thanks for coming back to me. The three view you reference Brian is the one I have, and according to Wikipedia you are right the first version was the 150. The immediate reason I suspected the three view was iffy was the fin outline is much bigger than a profile photograph scaled and laid over the top in my cad package. The other main difference, which Randy has solved was the wingtips weren't right. I never suspected that the aircraft was incorrect! Thanks for your help.
I may drop Bob a line and get his 3 view, I just hope it isn't the same three view as Bob has shown the link to.
There was a reference to a plan on RCUniverse by scalebldr but he hasn't logged in over there since 2009 so that avenue has probably gone cold.
Thanks again
Danny
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Lichfield, England
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts

Well I dropped Bob a mail and he hasn't anything better than the 3 view Brian has refernced. Fortunately I have a good side view phot and a pretty good near head on photo. So have worked from them. I have no decent plan view photo, so am having to use the poor 3 view for that.

I sent a mail to the Piper Museum in Lock Haven, they may have something.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers
Danny
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Danny,

For what it's worth I didn't think the 3-view drawing looked bad at all. Nothing stood out as wrong anyway. My Apache only had the modified wing tips but many Apaches have modified noses, windshields, vertical stabs, rudders...etc. I don't know if you are trying to model a stock Apache or not but I thought I mention that there are other options.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:50 AM
Lichfield, England
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Thanks Brian, I managed to purchase a downloadable version of the PA23 -150 manual and it gives a much better 3 view and incidences. I intend to do the model as original, round wing tips, but they are fairly easy to alter or even draw both versions.
I much prefer the look of the short nose and the rounded fin.

Once again thanks for all your help, should have realised that the manual would be available online, hadn't expected it to be just $14

Cheers
Danny