HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:19 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Cool
showcase and Review of Xtreme Upgrades for the Blade 120 SR

I have once again been given the pleasure of being a test pilot for Xtreme – this time with the EFlite Blade 120 SR, which is great as I did likewise on its baby bother the MSR. I have started this thread to showcase and review the Xtreme upgrades for the Blade 120 SR. The first upgrades that I have tested are the blade grips, anti rotation collar and head.

See below of initial specs/review and of course pics

The Grips are made from aluminium and the top portion is one-piece graphite that clamps onto the aluminium lower piece and uses a screw and bolt to hold and pivot the blades.
The grips come with all hardware including screws, white delrin spindle collars which attach to blade grips allowing pivoting on the head.

The anti rotation collar is all aluminium construction with mounting screw included.

The head is also all aluminium construction, comes with button, and head dampening rubber o-rings. I did not use the bushings from the stock grips, BUT I did transfer over the feathering spindle.

Weights (all hardware per unit included and weights are in GRAMS)

Stock:

1. Blade Grips = 2.97
2. Head = 1.2
3. Anti –Rotation Collar = .42

Xtreme Productions Upgrades:

1. Blade Grips = 4.11
2. Head = 1.83
3. Anti –Rotation Collar = .73

Total Difference(s) in weight from stock to Xtreme upgrades

1. Blade Grips = 1.14
2. Head = . 63
3. Anti –Rotation Collar = .31

Total Difference of 2.08 Grams

First flight Impressions:

I have only had a few close quarter indoor flights and won’t get a chance to really test out these upgrades until my clubs indoor gym session on Wednesday night. I’ll report more then.

The first 30 seconds of flight I had very minor TBE at first as parts are getting worked in and the blades were little snug in the grips – this is to be expected. After some minor adjustment this quickly went away.

The cyclics were very smooth and precise and the grips allowed the blade to track very well when hovering and slow forward flight. The linkages moved great through the guides of the head and anti rotation collar. The head seems to have cured my previous wobbling of the heli at transition from FF to a hover. However – this could’ve been a coincidence.

The aluminum/graphite looks great in flight and even better stationary. As stated earlier, I haven’t flown them much yet, but this will quickly change.

More to come; stay tuned
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:25 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
On the fourth picture the finish on the metal part looks a bit rough. Is this a sample or production quality material?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:29 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
The grips are a pre-production model sample and wont look rough like that when released to the public, as far as I am aware anyways. Part of the issue is the lighting in the picture as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
On the fourth picture the finish on the metal part looks a bit rough. Is this a sample or production quality material?
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
34 Posts
Thank you so much for the details, great pics and your testing review! They all look great!~!

Any idea when thy will be released to the public?

Thanks, Razors edge 29!

gamma
gamma13r is online now Find More Posts by gamma13r
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:52 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Thanks Gamma

The anti rotation collar and head have been released and can be purchased from miracle-mart.com/

here is a direct link

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...th=110_266_534

I am not aware of release date for grips yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma13r View Post
Thank you so much for the details, great pics and your testing review! They all look great!~!

Any idea when thy will be released to the public?

Thanks, Razors edge 29!

gamma
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:26 AM
St. Louis
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Appreciate the work your doing. Keep us informed!

I should have my SR120 for Christmas........upgrades to follow!

DSQUIGGLEY
DSQUIGGLEY is offline Find More Posts by DSQUIGGLEY
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:36 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Thanks

It is a great heli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQUIGGLEY View Post
Appreciate the work your doing. Keep us informed!

I should have my SR120 for Christmas........upgrades to follow!

DSQUIGGLEY
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:02 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
The grips are a pre-production model sample and wont look rough like that when released to the public, as far as I am aware anyways. Part of the issue is the lighting in the picture as well.
Thought so much. The bottom side already looked shiny, so I have the same faith as you, that the final product will be even more polished.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Regrettably I wasnt able to attend the indoor flying session tonight so I didn't get a chance to test the upgrades on a more open air concept yet.

Perhaps if weather permitting I can get outdoors for some winter flying :P
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
I really wish the 120 SR flew better in colder temps - its been a solid -14 + C here lately and the 120 SR can't handle outdoor flights even with a lipo sock.

Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Well I have been trying to get outdoors for flight tests, but the weather has really not been cooperating.

Been, cold, windy and snowy

I really wish it was still Summer
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:16 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Well I have been trying to get outdoors for flight tests, but the weather has really not been cooperating.

Been, cold, windy and snowy

I really wish it was still Summer
Is that the reason you decided to resurrect your Solo Pro?

But I agree, there have been a few nice days here so I could take a quick flight outside, and the cold temps affect the motors on my helis positively, so I've noticed, but my hands like some warmer temps better, and you always feel the risk of having plastic parts getting shattered should you crash in these conditions. Haven't had any lipo problems related to the cold. I think the fact that on the Solo Pro the canopy shields the lipo from direct airflow may help a lot with this, or the lipos I use are not much affected. I recently flew a Thunder Power 160 outside at around 0 degrees centigrade, in a Bravo SX, which has the lipo more exposed to the cold, and could still fly 4 minutes with power to spare, since I still needed around 60% throttle for hover, 10% more than in the beginning of the flight.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:24 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
LOL

No its just been down for a while is all.

Yes the cold can make plastic brittle for sure - especially the fuse which is not something I like to crack.

Gotta keep my babies looken good.

Quote:
Is that the reason you decided to resurrect your Solo Pro?

But I agree, there have been a few nice days here so I could take a quick flight outside, and the cold temps affect the motors on my helis positively, so I've noticed, but my hands like some warmer temps better, and you always feel the risk of having plastic parts getting shattered should you crash in these conditions. Haven't had any lipo problems related to the cold. I think the fact that on the Solo Pro the canopy shields the lipo from direct airflow may help a lot with this, or the lipos I use are not much affected. I recently flew a Thunder Power 160 outside at around 0 degrees centigrade, in a Bravo SX, which has the lipo more exposed to the cold, and could still fly 4 minutes with power to spare, since I still needed around 60% throttle for hover, 10% more than in the beginning of the flight.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:31 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
LOL

No its just been down for a while is all.

Yes the cold can make plastic brittle for sure - especially the fuse which is not something I like to crack.

Gotta keep my babies looken good.
Amen to that. I once cracked up a canopy during my first FFF with the SP, and with the wind, so it lost lift fast, and went down nose in. Felt horrible. I kept the canopy on though, and only replaced it when I learned to fly better, than put a new one on.

Btw, perhaps a little offtopic, but plastic gets brittle, I know, but does the same apply to foam, like on the wings of the Champ? I'd love to get up with that plane again, but I keep thinking about the wings snapping off midair during a loop because of the cold. Is that possible?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:42 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,312 Posts
Yes Foam can become brittle as well.

I dont think the wing would snap off in flight unless there were previous damage/stress cracks.

Foam will give less when cold.

Quote:
Amen to that. I once cracked up a canopy during my first FFF with the SP, and with the wind, so it lost lift fast, and went down nose in. Felt horrible. I kept the canopy on though, and only replaced it when I learned to fly better, than put a new one on.

Btw, perhaps a little offtopic, but plastic gets brittle, I know, but does the same apply to foam, like on the wings of the Champ? I'd love to get up with that plane again, but I keep thinking about the wings snapping off midair during a loop because of the cold. Is that possible?