HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZackJones, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:45 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Upgrading F4F Wildcat ESC, Prop Adapter and Prop

While I love the way my F4F wildcat flies in her stock form I like to tinker with things and the Wildcat is no exception. Eventually I want to put an EFlite Power 10 motor on it but because I don't yet have one of those motors I decided to try an upgrade I read about in the Wildcat owner's group. You can get increased performance from the Wildcat by replacing the stock 9x6 prop with the 9.5 x 7.5 prop from the T-28 Trojan. Because the prop adapter shafts are different between the Wildcat and the Trojan I elected to replace the prop adapter on the Wildcat with one from the Trojan.

The process of swapping everything out is pretty simple. You can do the upgrade in under an hour. I've attached several pictures I took while doing the upgrade. Check 'em out along with the description provided for each one.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:58 PM
Top Gun
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
Let me know how it Performs

I have one coming for Christmas. Thanks for the upgrade tip. Let me know how it performs. I have an E-Flite Park 400 I want to put in a plane also. I'm getting the PZ Extra 300 also for Christmas. I'm thinking that may be the plane that the 400 will shine in. My wife really supports my hobby and I'm pretty sure she bought 3 other planes as well. I know she bought the Multiplex Fun Jet. I'm thinking she also bought the 64mm Blue Angel F-18 and A-4. ( bodys only on those 2)

Again let me know how the wildcat performs. I'm in NE Ohio so it may be March before I can maiden mine.
Remington001 is offline Find More Posts by Remington001
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:47 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
I've been able to put in one brief flight with her since I upgraded and while I can see that there is a performance gain I can't say, from that one flight, just how good it was. I'll have a better idea this coming weekend when I can fly with my buddy that has a stock P-51 Mustang. Isn't the Park 400 motor considered a smaller and less powerful motor than the 480 that's in the Wildcat now? Most folks I've talked to upgrade their PZ warbirds with Power 10 or similar motors and that's what I'll probably do with mine one of these days.

You're one luckly dude to have a wife that supports your hobby so well. Let me know how you like the Extra 300. I've been checking that one out as well.

On the Fun Jet -- if it's the same one that I saw fly this past weekend put a 4S battery in her and she'll really come alive.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:51 AM
Top Gun
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
I'm definetly going 4S on the fun jet. I'll have to check the specs on the 400. I once put it in the PZ Spitfire and ripped the wings off. I knew I should have put carbon rods in the wings. I had about 15 wicked flights before she came apart. I'll update you on the Extra.
Remington001 is offline Find More Posts by Remington001
Last edited by Remington001; Dec 09, 2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Spelling