SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
I like to cut them from homemade fiberglass sheet. Just laminate several layers of glass cloth with epoxy or polyester resin between a couple of pieces of waxed window glass to form the sheet. If you're in a hurry, a laminate of fiberglass cloth / medium CA also works, but is much harder to shape. Wax may or may not work as a release agent for CA, so use plastic sheet or waxed paper between the laminate and the window glass. If surface finish of the fiberglass sheet isn't important, you can use any two flat surfaces with a plastic sheet / waxed paper release agent as your tooling.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:35 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
590 Posts
Many good ideas but I think I like the Flossers the best due to simple fact that they give a wider area to glue to at contact to foam and are at an aceptable angle as is. Use one as a guide to drill holes and you will have nice even spacing. Time for a trip to the dollar store on the way home.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:09 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
flossers also make great skids for tail draggers ,, use 1 or laminte 2 ..
an dif they break .. ah well hot glue on a replacement ...

Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:47 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
To Each their own
I love the stuff
Me too
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:46 PM
Balsa taste like chicken!
USA, MS, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
490 Posts
I use broken Electric props. Cut'em out and drill'em. They work great. And who doesn't have some old plastic props lying around?! Charger
A74Charger is offline Find More Posts by A74Charger
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:45 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,923 Posts
"..And who doesn't have some old plastic props lying around?!..."

If there is someone that needs some help on breaking props, I can help with that. PM and and I'll send you a list of the sizes I specialize in breaking and you can send them to me.

I'll need to charge you for return postage too.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:07 PM
Fly to live. Live to fly.
California
Joined Mar 2006
50 Posts
I make control horns from CD plastic. Using rubber cement I paste a guide template on a defunct CD. Then I just follow the cut lines with an Exacto saw or small electric model circular saw. By using the template I can make many control horns having the same dimensions. For added strength I sometimes stick transparent scotch tape over the control horn surfaces.
rrcc is offline Find More Posts by rrcc
Last edited by rrcc; Dec 10, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:43 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
675 Posts
Flosser

Thanks for the tip on flossers, I am trying it. The plastic seems soft when I drilled it. Does the hole get worn out (oblong shape) quickly? I guess I will find out. I wonder if the brand name flossers have harder plastic?
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:58 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
I've been using them for the past few years without any problems with them. YMMV
cptdragn is offline Find More Posts by cptdragn
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
I like these laser cut plywood horns. I also use Dubro horns but on the small planes like 40 inch and under, these wooden ones are lightweight and when glued into the aileron or elevator, it becomes part of the structure.
These wooden ones need no heavy screws. They do need a coat of paint or CA to waterproof them.

You can cut them by hand, but at eight/one dollar I just grab a pack now and then and keep 'em ready. They may fool you and look flimsy if you flex the whole board they come on but break them out and in their singular self are very strong and stiff.
Where do you get these?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:01 AM
Fail Warrior
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2010
131 Posts
I wouln't use CDs, they are made out of quite brittle plastic. And i know a guy that used them on a 3m thermal glider once... Guess what happened?

I usually just buy the horns, they cost about $1 for 10 pieces at HK.
T0RN4D0 is offline Find More Posts by T0RN4D0
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Great price good quality

i have ordered from this ebay seller before, great communication, fantastic quality product for the price, bargain at 3 and reasonable postage without being ripped off by the imported products!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=221392618448
Birdinthesky is offline Find More Posts by Birdinthesky