Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:53 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
Help!
e-Supra Motor Recommendation

Hello,

I'm working on my Christmas wish list for my wife.

This winter I'm scratch building a Supra and plan on putting an electric motor in it using either 3S or 4S A123 batteries. They are 3.15 volts per cell but do a great job holding their voltage right to the end of the charge!

I digress. I'm looking for a motor on a budget and would like some recommendations. I'm told by a reliable source the Hacker A20-6 XL 10-Pole EVO + 4,4:1 Gearbox would be a great combination.

What about a motor recommendation without a gearbox?

I saw the Hyperion motors and thought perhaps a Gs2218-10 or Gs2218-12 would be suitable.
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/gs/

I'm looking for a nice climb rate to say winch launch height in 30-45 seconds.

Thanks for the help folks, I really appreciate it.

Happy Holidays
Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:56 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,126 Posts
You may have trouble with the size of the nose fitting an outrunner, hence the inrunner/gearbox recommendations.

My flying bud has a Hacker B40-8S (or close to that) with the 4.1:1 gearbox on 3S lipo ... gets to 200 meters launch height in 25 seconds (it's intended use is ALES competitions).

Some of the Hyperion outrunner motors are tapered and may fit the nose, but it's pretty darned narrow.

Hope this helps.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:26 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
Thanks TK, but that won't be a problem.

A good friend of mine turned a male mold that's a work of art and I'll be making a fuselage using the "Male Mold" method. It'll fit up to a 2" diamter motor! 1.25" or less would be ideal.

I mainly need help with motor KV size, poles, turns etc. Basic motor stuff that's a little over my head.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:26 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,614 Posts
I've been running a Hyperion 3025-06 in an e-AVA and would highly recommend that you go with a '30 series motor instead of the 2218 motor you are looking at. This power combination in the AVA will definitely get the plane UP, but it is tame enough that it will not require a lot of control attention to get there. I am building an ARF Supra and unless you think your Supra is going to have a flying weight of less than 50 oz., I think you will be a lot happier with a little more power and torque. In any event I think getting the Hyperion to fit in a stock Supra nose would require some plastic surgery. There is not much difference in cost between the the 22 series and the 30 series and there is a whole range of 30 series motors from 3008 to 3032 (the 3032 would probably be a thrill) and if you want a bit of structural overkill, the 30 series motors have available a lightweight and inexpensive rear bearing support which might be useful.

If you are sport flying and absolute minimum weight is not an issue, my flying buddy D.O. and I have tested a 3025-8 with a 3S 2600 pack and a 15x8 prop and it is definitely a winner. It will pull about 2900 g. static. You will be able to get 3 or 4 full burns out of a pack for sport flying. If weight is an issue, you can use a lot smaller pack (even as small as 1300) safely if you want to recharge between launches (stay with a good 45C pack for this).

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:25 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
Don,

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and the very thorough explanation.

One of my problems is the controller (ESC) I have is rated at 60amps. It's a Castle Creation Phoenix 60.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-60.html

I visited some friends yesterday afternoon and he had the Gs2218-12 and I'm certain it's too small.

So I've done more searching, thanks to your help Don, and came up with the Gs3014-16. I ran these numbers through eCalc and the attachment is what I came up with.

Would you mind verifying that I have the Motor Parameters "Lo Amps" input that correctly?

Anyway, eCalc has been fairly accurate for my uses and this shows that I'd get very good performance and a fairly decent flight time as well. Heck, if I got three trips up to 500 feet I'd be very happy.

Oh, fuselage size isn't an issue as I have my own mold for a pod.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:37 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
Hmm, I did just a tad bit more searching and think this would be a better option, a Gs3020-8. I don't think I'll exceed the amps to the controller with this setup and the performance is much better.

This gets me closer to 100 watts per pound too, which is what I think a very good target.

What do you think?
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Dec 07, 2010 at 01:45 PM.