SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:15 PM
USA, Pittsburgh Pa
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Discussion
Dirty Birdy 20 or Derringer?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the site. My name is John ....been flyin' rc since about 82-83...what a great hobby. I currentIy have 16 planes, seven are equipped to fly, workin' on # 8. I ran across an antique plane at a swap meet in my neck of the woods several years ago and I'm tryin to figure it out. The wing span is 58" & 10.5" chord at the center but leading edge sweeps back to wing tips, & fuse is 43.5" long from nose to tail, has a foam core wing that has some bad sheeting. Looks like it would be fast, I'd like to restore it,so I'm hoping to find a wing kit or plans.I've set an O.S. .40 FP in the engine mount and it seems like it would fit but looks large...lol. I saw the dirty birdie 20 plans on here that looks very similar but it has the built up wing? I also saw some photos of a plane that I think is called a Derringer that looks alot like the plane I have. It has what I think are wing fillets on the fuse that flare out at the back of the wing mount. The fuse structure is solid and sleek lookin', nicely rounded with a strange lookin' peaked up cockpit / canopy area that was constructed as part of the fuselage. The fin starts up the fuse a ways with a nice long sleek slope to the top of the fin, which extends below the fuse by an inch or two. The horizontal stab is not just a flat sheet, It's contoured similar to the wing. I'm sure it's a pattern craft, just don't know what. It is a tri-gear set up on the landing gear. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I could maybe send pics if that would help. May God bless you this "Christ"mas Holiday season. Thanks for your time and have a great one. John
cudafstbk is offline Find More Posts by cudafstbk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Hello John...

I have only been flying since 1957 when I put my K&B powered delta into a greasewood bush. Been flying radio since about 1964 as it got higher and away from the bushes.

You need the proper instructions to go along with the A/C. About five years ago, I went to an A/C swap meet, found an old Jetco PT-19 there that had essentially been torn apart by someone. Near everything was torn out and salvaged somehow. This A/C had a fiberglass cowl in the box which I thought was aftermarket. No. I talked the vendor down to less than twenty for the remains, from the asking $30.

Later on, found out this was no normal Hollinger/Jetco/Jemco PT-19, but something offered back when, for a few months only when the whole company was up for sale. It took a long time, as found out the plans for different versions of same model did not match exactly the version I had. Then some one mentioned a sort of Interim version, and that caught on. After a few years again, I found the correct version of the plan and there it was. It showed the one piece cowl I had.

You see things cannot be found here overnight if there is the slightest bit of oddball to it. It takes years. Post a few pictures of what you got now and then maybe someone can identify the model, and once you get the proper model and age, someone yet has a copy of the plan for you then. You have a good description on the model now, and remember the details of such. For they aide you.

Bill
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:27 PM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
221 Posts
Hi John,
Most of the time somebody will recognize these mystery planes, usually sooner rather than later. Please post pcs when you have the chance. God bless and Merry Christmas to you as well sir.
Jeff Worsham is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
USA, Pittsburgh Pa
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Photos

Hey..I'd like to put some photos of my mystery plane on here but don't know how to go about it. Already took pics. any help? Thanks....John
cudafstbk is offline Find More Posts by cudafstbk