HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:46 PM
USA, MI, Columbus
Joined Mar 2009
67 Posts
Discussion
What is a good lipo charger

So I want to get back into electric planes,after LIPOs scared me away lol and im looking at the E-Flite Mini Pulse, if i can fly all the planes in Real Flight Basic would I be able to fly this plane,and also I am looking for a good LIPO charger I was looking at the Super Brain Palm AC/DC charger but if there is a better one for under $150 please list it and i would probaly only be charging E flite 3 cells thanks.
tigersfan45700 is offline Find More Posts by tigersfan45700
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:39 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Tiger,

I picked this one up earlier this year and it has worked well. I also picked up the 120v AC to 12 volt, 6amp device plus a few other odds and ends. Check out the add-ons that go with it.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=B3825345

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:08 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Check out this one. AC/DC CHARGER. http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
kid at 55 is online now Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
Its not the price thats important when buying a charger and considering a swa yours at 79$ it makes it a very BAD DEAL.

Its rated specs call for 5A output so I would assume thats a 50W charger and the WATT output is the SINGLE MOST important number you need to look at.

At 80$ for a 50W charger that of course puts the price per watt over 1$, the other linked charger AC6 is also 50W but with a price tag of 50-55$ it bring the price per watt closer to a BUCK 1$. Now you can get 100W-150W & 200W charger for under 1$ a watt and then that starts to make more sense.

There is a thread or post around here listing some chargers with the PRICE PER WATT and some can be purchase for as little as under .50$ and they will have the same feature and options as what you need and are looking for...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:40 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
I like my Triton (version 1), Polyquest 4-port and my new Imax Quattro Pro.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:47 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
been using this for a year. No regrets. You can save some money too..
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=110
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:56 PM
you fly some you crash some...
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
the Triton EQ hands down is great charger!
whiplash1 is offline Find More Posts by whiplash1
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:11 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
good cheap charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7523

this is the one i will get next... http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/new...i-charger.html
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:26 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,289 Posts
Lov my gt-power.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Btw i have a mini pulse xt with park 480 9x7 prop and 40 amp eflite pro esc..goes around 70 mph..flies like an old nitro plane..
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Just got a Thunder Power 610C AC/DC, it has the advantage of having a built in ac power supply so I can just plug it in to the wall. It is an 80 watt charger from a very reputable r/c battery company. It is a little pricy, about 120 but I got very good deal on mine so I'm under the $1 a watt standard referenced here, not that I think that is the only suitable criteria for a charger. You can get a really cheap charger that costs a dime per watt, but if it breaks or burns it self up after a few cycles what good is it?
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:53 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
i have both the superbrain 992 palm and a thunder 610 200W charger

both are good.. but IMO "since i traded for mine from a friend" i would NEVER pay 80$ for it... it is a GOOD charger.. and it does come with its own power supply but the setup is annoying flipping screens back and forth the balancing is ULTRA precise.. which honestly for me isnt necessary every time i charge dont get me wrong i like a well balanced battery but 45 mins balancing at less than .1A is ridiculous

my thunder 610 is IMO a much better charger balancer is still within .01-.02 "verified with a fluke meter" and it was exactly the same price "before they lowered the cost" is much easier to setup and more user friendly

as for a power supply there are tons out there that can be had for very little money .. or you can build your own out of a nice pc powersupply "not including the cost of the power supply itself most can be had free or just a few bucks from old pc's" costs about 5$ to build

what im saying above is dont limit yourself to a charger just because it comes with an AC source that really is the least of your worries heck most local walmarts sell a very nice little power supply back in camping its for a 12v cooler its 12v 5a and takes quite literally only 2-3 minutes to make work with our stuff "adding terminals" and costs 20$ or less

no matter.. good luck have fun and keep it in the air!

Tim
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:17 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
173 Posts
I just bought the same charger from Thunderpower and so far am pleased with it. I also have a Parkzone Stinson.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
All the chargers linked to on this thread so far are basically the very same charger, as is my Venom Pro http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=0657 and probably about 90% of the rest of the chargers out there. Only the cases and the positioning of the controls, plugs and screen vary, the electronics are all the same, and probably the accesories they come with.

If they have a 50W output, a similar looking screen and four buttons, they are a clone (I think the Imax B6 is the original genetic donor). nothing wrong with that, I've heard good words about this design, although the instructions are attrocious, especially with the cheaper Chinese versions.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:00 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,450 Posts
Your mrc palm charger is great... you take your lipo off charge right after you hear the 2 beeps and it's done no need to let it sit on the charger at.10mah charge rate for a little extra MAH that maybe 100mah more or so ...the 992 is actually good because it beeps 2 times and the cells are charged to 4.18V in the pack and lots of guy's like this because charging right up to 4.2V cell makes your packs not last as long...so after 2 beeps take the lipo off and use it and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored21 View Post
i have both the superbrain 992 palm and a thunder 610 200W charger

both are good.. but IMO "since i traded for mine from a friend" i would NEVER pay 80$ for it... it is a GOOD charger.. and it does come with its own power supply but the setup is annoying flipping screens back and forth the balancing is ULTRA precise.. which honestly for me isnt necessary every time i charge dont get me wrong i like a well balanced battery but 45 mins balancing at less than .1A is ridiculous

my thunder 610 is IMO a much better charger balancer is still within .01-.02 "verified with a fluke meter" and it was exactly the same price "before they lowered the cost" is much easier to setup and more user friendly

as for a power supply there are tons out there that can be had for very little money .. or you can build your own out of a nice pc powersupply "not including the cost of the power supply itself most can be had free or just a few bucks from old pc's" costs about 5$ to build

what im saying above is dont limit yourself to a charger just because it comes with an AC source that really is the least of your worries heck most local walmarts sell a very nice little power supply back in camping its for a 12v cooler its 12v 5a and takes quite literally only 2-3 minutes to make work with our stuff "adding terminals" and costs 20$ or less

no matter.. good luck have fun and keep it in the air!

Tim
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman