HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2008
275 Posts
Discussion
How to hang a plane from the ceiling???

OK, I'm just getting started in this hobby, and I only have a total of two planes now, but I will be adding to my fleet after Xmas. I know a lot of you hang your planes from the ceiling to keep them out of the way. I just need to know the various ways to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, guys,
Mike
aclinml is online now Find More Posts by aclinml
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:13 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,538 Posts
I usually try to find a horizontal ceiling member, and screw a fairly long hook through the ceiling tile and into that. Then very strong string or stainless fishing leader for the suspension mechanism.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 05, 2010, 03:28 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=11
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
If you have drywall walls you can nail picture hooks to the wall and make a loop of wire to go in back of the landing gear and hang it on the hook so plane hangs against the wall. You can also lake a loop of wire and hang plane by the tail against the wall. You can make two loops of wire to go onto each wing and hang both loops on a single hook in the ceiling. You can make a "stacking rack" of PVC pipe fittings and pipe with a number of pieces sticking out for the planes wings to rest on. Make it movable or mounted on the wall.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
51 Posts
[PHP]leccyflyer http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=11[/PHP]

You do realize that there is a fine line between hobby and obsession, It is just my opinion but I think you may have crossed it.
money-pit is offline Find More Posts by money-pit
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:41 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by money-pit View Post
[PHP]leccyflyer http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=11[/PHP]

You do realize that there is a fine line between hobby and obsession, It is just my opinion but I think you may have crossed it.
Leccy is trying to single handedly save the world economy by creating a booming model airplane sector.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:13 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I use an old tie looped around a rafter and the plane. The tie is wide enough to even the strain and avoid flattening the foam. You often have to hang them upside down to get them to balance satisfactorily
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:26 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,538 Posts
Display

Not the size we are talking about, but this is a small room:-)))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:42 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
for one of my bigger planes i made a pvc cradle, btw PVC is the best stuff for any type of rc storage, and then rigged up a few pulleys and some nylon rope and now my plane is hanging above the garage door.
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:41 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
It's funny how large planes without their wings look like big trophy fish sometimes. I thought, from the first picture, that joshet had a big tiger fish hanging up there for a second.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:20 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
I would make sure there are no ceiling fans in the room and that they remain off while storing planes, just sayn"
Sorry I am just a smart A**!!
Couldn't resist.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
I think the image with all the planes from the ceiling are just about right. A couple more would be great IMO.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
you fly some you crash some...
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
If you have drywall walls you can nail picture hooks to the wall and make a loop of wire to go in back of the landing gear and hang it on the hook so plane hangs against the wall. You can also lake a loop of wire and hang plane by the tail against the wall. You can make two loops of wire to go onto each wing and hang both loops on a single hook in the ceiling. You can make a "stacking rack" of PVC pipe fittings and pipe with a number of pieces sticking out for the planes wings to rest on. Make it movable or mounted on the wall.
x2 on what he said!
whiplash1 is offline Find More Posts by whiplash1