HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kholder116, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
203 Posts
Discussion
Re-Build of a Vintage Old Timer - Sal Taibi Powerhouse

ThThese are a few photos of a rebuild and electric conversion I did of a Vintage plane called the Powerhouse. Today, these models are part of a category of model airplanes referred to as "Old Timers". They were operated with the use of a large gas powered motor that would contain enough fuel for approximately one minute of power and the goal was that during that time, the model would be taken to "speck" height, and then cut off once it ran out of fuel. The winner of the contest would be the person who's plane came back to to earth, "LAST". Generally, prior to take-off the controlled surfaces of the plane would be situated so that once the engine cuts off, it would float down in a large circle until it gently lands on the ground. This was done by pre-positioning the rudder and elevator. The re-build was accomplished by closing the gapping hole in the fuselage where the previous gas engine was situated, repairing and repainting the fabric and the control surface connections.

This model has an 84 inch wingspan. An E-flite 60 electric engine, 80 amp Electronic Speed Control, and will fly all day on a 5S 4900 lipo.
The model difficult part of the build was the engine cowl. Originally designed to accommodate a gas engine, the cowl upper portion was open to allow the protrusion of the engine together with an engine firewall. My electric conversion required that the entire cowl be closed , therefore the opening had to be closed. That repair is depicted immediately below. The use of balsa wood allowed me to shape and fashion a cover to completely seal the opening. Finally, fiberglass resin was used to finish, seal and harden the cowl.
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kholder116; May 10, 2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: corrections
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:21 AM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
282 Posts
Very nicely done! I also enjoy restoring old RC planes, there's something satisfying about seeing an old girl fly again!

Mark
Scirocco14 is offline Find More Posts by Scirocco14
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scirocco14 View Post
Very nicely done! I also enjoy restoring old RC planes, there's something satisfying about seeing an old girl fly again!

Mark
Thanks for looking Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:05 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Beautiful Work

Hi Kenneth:

Beautiful work, I really enjoy seeing the work of a "builder".

I have been building and flying model airplanes since the 1940's and obviously seen many changes in our wonderful hobby. I really believe the younger fellas today are short changing themselves in not seeing the rewards of their own construction. Not to mention the the skills one develpos over the years.

Best,

Tom
Milton, WI
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Hi Kenneth:

Beautiful work, I really enjoy seeing the work of a "builder".

I have been building and flying model airplanes since the 1940's and obviously seen many changes in our wonderful hobby. I really believe the younger fellas today are short changing themselves in not seeing the rewards of their own construction. Not to mention the the skills one develpos over the years.

Best,

Tom
Milton, WI
Thanks alot Tom. I have seen your blog also, and can clearly understand your point when it comes to building. It is a shame that along with our educational system, our youth show little or no interest in learning the craft of building that we all acquired from our fathers and grandfathers. We live in a Ipod, Iphone, ARF world. If it's not built, "I don't want it", if it breaks, "get me a new one". I'm still holding out hope. I taught my 3 boys how to build like this. They may not show any interest in it right now, but it's there when they get the "bug"....

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kholder116; Dec 12, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
We have a fellow here in Traverse City who built a Powerhouse from the kit and made it electric to start with. It is one of the most graceful fliers I have ever seen. What a great design. One of our club members took one of his old FF planes and made it into an electric, Miss America and he also built a Mercury from plans. What a treat to see old designs flying again, graceful and majestic.
You Powerhouse is classic, color and finish are terrific.
A job well done.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
We have a fellow here in Traverse City who built a Powerhouse from the kit and made it electric to start with. It is one of the most graceful fliers I have ever seen. What a great design. One of our club members took one of his old FF planes and made it into an electric, Miss America and he also built a Mercury from plans. What a treat to see old designs flying again, graceful and majestic.
You Powerhouse is classic, color and finish are terrific.
A job well done.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
thanks alot Conehead.. this planes are wonderful flyers and made even better in these days of remote control...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,337 Posts
Very nicely done!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2004
203 Posts
Thanks!! love your 1938 Build....the finish is amazing.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Odd request to photograph your plane!?

Hi Ken,

First off...love your plane!

Secondly...
I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it doing a simple google search for "Old Time Model Plane in NYC", and sure enough this is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm a photographer in Brooklyn trying to find pre-built models for a book cover to a novel that involves model airplanes. If you happen to still be in Queens, would you be willing to allow me to photograph your plane for this project? Or would you happen to know of any other hobbyists in the area who may have "old timer, free flight models" I could shoot? I would love to chat with you more if you are available. Feel free to email me at scott@scottnobles.com at your earliest convenience to discuss more.

Thanks so much in advance for your time.

Best - Scott
smndigital is offline Find More Posts by smndigital