Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
Question
Sterling Stearman restoration/conversion project

I have begun the restoration/electric conversion of my old Sterling Stearman. Is this the appropriate place to post this project?
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:50 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Yes, it is the correct place. I have one that has been framed for 13 yrs. I built it before I switched from IC power to totally electric. So I keep it wrapped in plastic(along with a PICA T-28) waiting for a BIG outrunner. I also have the Sterling D-7 for "E" conversion.

This is my third Sterling Stearman. Amazingly, they were heavy, but flew well. I lightened the last one by substituting wood and cutting lightening holes. But I have seen them fly as heavy as 15+ # on old Fox .78's.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Awesome. Reminds me of my Sterling story:
I got a Sterling Peashooter for Christmas around 1978, and pushed my dad to build it. I recovered it when I first got into rc, but did not convert it well. Some years later I revisited it, recovering the wings and tail again, this time with Microlite and added ailerons. The plane flew as well as I could have hoped for.
Bill
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:35 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
Yes, it is the correct place. I have one that has been framed for 13 yrs. I built it before I switched from IC power to totally electric. So I keep it wrapped in plastic(along with a PICA T-28) waiting for a BIG outrunner. I also have the Sterling D-7 for "E" conversion.

This is my third Sterling Stearman. Amazingly, they were heavy, but flew well. I lightened the last one by substituting wood and cutting lightening holes. But I have seen them fly as heavy as 15+ # on old Fox .78's.

Fuzz
Allright. I knew they built heavy... there was a fellow at the club field who had one powered with a .90 2 stroke. It wasn't too pretty to watch. It looked as though it struggled to stay in the air. The landing gear struts were loose and would wobble and flob around any which way. So I figured mine had to be built light as possible, and have the landing gear reinforced.
I left out the hardwood rails in the fuse, figuring that they were there for reinforcement if the model was built for control line. I also sanded the bottoms of the wings increasing their lift. It came out at 7 and a half pounds, and flew well on a Super Tiger .60.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:04 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,743 Posts
1Post

My Peashooter is still flying, looking more pre-war weary though. How about your beautiful Seabee?
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:55 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
Robart makes/made Robostruts for this plane. Well worth the money, and work to retrofit. I flew mine with the standard gear, and on take off, never knew which way the plane was going. The Robostruts made all the difference in the world. I could really take off in a scale manner.

As for heavy; amen. I took 16 ounces of mine (yes 16 ounces) just by replacing their supplied trailing edges with built up, sheeted.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:13 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
Robart makes/made Robostruts for this plane. Well worth the money, and work to retrofit. I flew mine with the standard gear, and on take off, never knew which way the plane was going. The Robostruts made all the difference in the world. I could really take off in a scale manner.

As for heavy; amen. I took 16 ounces of mine (yes 16 ounces) just by replacing their supplied trailing edges with built up, sheeted.

Les
Heres a better shot of the LG strut mod. Not scale, but it's rock solid.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:32 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
I have those Robo struts, also, Les. Worth the bux.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:34 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
"I have those Robo struts, also, Les. Worth the bux."

And they look great, too.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:58 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
There isn't much lightening to do here, much was done during the initial construction. The leading edge sheeting was omitted. Balsa instead of the maple spars.
Think I'll replace the steel aileron pushrod with carbon fiber. The long sections of the cabanes as well.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
A power 46 with 4S 5000 mah will replace the Super Tiger 60 in the ol' Stearman. She was a bit nose heavy with the ST, and the new power supply is about 6 OZ. heavier. Just about the equivalent of a full tank of fuel. The Battery will go in through the front cockpit and will have enough room to move fore and aft to get the balance right.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:28 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
The vac formed LG fairings are long gone, and i'm not likely to build a box for that. So I'm forming them out of styrene sheet. Not exactly scale, but I think They'll look all right.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:26 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
More work on the LG struts, more paint on the fuselage...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,625 Posts
Some may think Doculam too thin for a model this size, I don't see why. It's not as resistant to puncture as monocoat, but neither is silk and dope. I'm impressed with this stuff.