SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:52 AM
Go Packers!
Lambertville, Mi
Joined Apr 2010
267 Posts
Discussion
Which battery charger?

Im looking at new chargers and have always liked and trusted my FMA CellPro. Im thinking of sticking with this manufacturer. What chargers would you suggest? I would love to be able to charge at least 2 at a time.
wgregww is offline Find More Posts by wgregww
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,688 Posts
Well there aren't that many models in the FMA CellPro line so it really just comes down to how many watts and cells you series you want/need. Small -> Multi 4/4S, Medium -> 10S, Large -> PowerLab 8.

They all work very well.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:20 PM
Go Packers!
Lambertville, Mi
Joined Apr 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Well there aren't that many models in the FMA CellPro line so it really just comes down to how many watts and cells you series you want/need. Small -> Multi 4/4S, Medium -> 10S, Large -> PowerLab 8.

They all work very well.
What other brands do you guys suggest. I really want to do 2 at a time and I never go over 2650 3C
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:32 PM
Go Packers!
Lambertville, Mi
Joined Apr 2010
267 Posts
Ok forget the FMA chargers. I went to order a power supply for my 4S and they wanted almost $30 shipping. Thats some new business model. Please give me other charger options.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
222 Posts
I prefer chargers that can charge AC/DC (ie: they have a built-in power supply--since I charge so much in my house) and which are under $200. After doing a lot of research then, here is my recommendation:

Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3-AD. $160 at www.allerc.com

see my thread at http://www.rcdiscuss.com/index.php/topic,31735.0.html
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:50 PM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2004
117 Posts
Four at once: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10327
Kuba is offline Find More Posts by Kuba
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:19 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,548 Posts
I really like my Hitec X4. Charges and balances 4 packs at a time. All chemistries, Rx and Tx packs.
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,688 Posts
You might want to read the parallel charging thread. Any charger can charge as many as you like. I charge between 2 and 6 batteries on each of my chargers.

Check out the iCharger line.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:35 PM
Go Packers!
Lambertville, Mi
Joined Apr 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I really like my Hitec X4. Charges and balances 4 packs at a time. All chemistries, Rx and Tx packs.
I really like the X4 but I want a AC power capability
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:16 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgregww View Post
I really like the X4 but I want a AC power capability
Check out the Thunder Power 610C-ac/dc, I just ordered one. It's only 60 watts output on the ac, but can do 80 watts if you plug into a 12vdc car battery. If you aren't charging anything bigger than 3s or 4s 2650mah, it should do what you are looking for.
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
Old Dec 04, 2010, 05:19 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,871 Posts
If you are looking for an AC charger, have a look at this thread.

AC/DC chargers w/over 100 watt??

Then follow up with this thread.

200 watt Lipo Chargers? any good ones out there?

If after reading those two threads, you change your mind about the AC requirement, then have a look at the Bantam Charger series. The iChargers have more features, and are less expensive, but in my opinion, the Bantam charger's sturdier construction and ease of use are worth the extra cost. I particularly like the BC6HP model. 250 Watts, 10A charge rate. Parallel charging multiple lipos would not be a problem with this charger.

The separate power supply is pretty cheap if you know where to look. 12 volts 30 amps 350 watts for $21.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:35 AM
dhaka
Joined Dec 2010
78 Posts
NiHm batteries come in various amperages (If a AA battery 1.4 volts)and the higher the amperage the more power to drive flash and other functions in the camera. Length of usage will vary depending on use and recharge times will also vary.

Be forwarned that batteries should be charged in pairs and should match in voltage and strength in charge. A good battery charged with a defective battery will soon falter due to uneven charge by the circuits. With that said it might be smart to charge similar batteries(of same amperage and brand)

Buying in bulk (say a dozen ) will allow you to rotate the various batteries in and out of the charger. Try to keep spare batteries away from metal objects that may short circuit them and away from moisture.

Various areas will see rayo-vac, duracell and others being sold. Buy according to the most amperage per buck, if no clear cut good buy there is always eine meany miny moe method..

Last edited by Dino2010; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 08:49 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
You might want to read the parallel charging thread. Any charger can charge as many as you like. I charge between 2 and 6 batteries on each of my chargers.

Check out the iCharger line.
Yea what he said. www.progressiverc.com

206b + P350 power supply = great combo...

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:03 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgregww View Post
Ok forget the FMA chargers. I went to order a power supply for my 4S and they wanted almost $30 shipping. Thats some new business model. Please give me other charger options.
Hi Guys,

In case you are not aware,there are several retailers in the US that sell the REVOLECTRIX/FMA Direct chargers. In those cases you pay for local/US shipping charges.

Progressive RC - http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p..._id=1&Itemid=1

and

Quantum Hobbies - http://www.quantumhobby.com/category_s/418.htm

Just to mention a couple of US dealers. There are many others as well.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:26 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
AA NiMH batteries as used in consumer electronics are not raed in amps. They are rated capacity as in mAh in the rabnge from 1500 or so up to 2700 mAh or so. Higher mAh ones have more capacity but may not deliver as many volts under load or even as much capacity as ones rated lower capacity (mAh).

There are also low self discharge ones such as Sanyo Eneloops which while only rated 2000 mAh do not self discharge in a month or so like many others and have faily low internal resistence so in fact in many applications out perform the hugher capacity (2300-2700 mAh ) ones.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer