HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2010, 03:50 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Discussion
Live Wire Trainer - with flying photos

Morning folks!

My entry for the 2011 build off will be a "Live Wire Trainer", designed by Hal DeBolt.

I'm going to enlarge it as much as my limited software will allow, and think it will come in at about 1.5 meters.

At the moment I'm still in the planning stages, and I have yet to renew my wood supply - so this will probably only get started in January.

A while ago someone posted an article on how to make inflatable wheels - has anyone actually tried this? It looks easy enough, except maybe for the valve.

Owl
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Last edited by owlsabie; Nov 07, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 03:56 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
The "look" I'm thinking of going for.

I'm hoping with the bigger size, that this may handle a light breeze - and so can go with me to the local club.
Last edited by owlsabie; Dec 04, 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:01 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I keep thinking about building an electric powered reproduction of a Sterling 48" Mambo with dummy IC engine, throttle rudder and elevator. Would like to try loops and rolls etc., with rudder only after some 40+ years. Many scale electric projects in the queue, most are old scale IC and rubber kits.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Live Wire dummy IC engine

Here is my dummy engine electric Live Wire
billmod12 is offline Find More Posts by billmod12
Old Dec 05, 2010, 02:34 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
E.C. You should do it! Take a break from scale modelling for a build, a change is good as a holiday But I hear you - so many plans and planes, so little balsa wood. . . are you doing the fun build this year?

Bill - thats stunning dude - I saw your videos, and that was what convinced me to give this a try. It looks good and seems to fly really well (obviously also excellent piloting)
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Owl, Are you planning on gas or electric?
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:35 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Electric! My only experience with gas was 1/2 cox black widow on a control line plane back in the eighties. I enjoyed it then, but I find it much easier to plug and fly, than sit fiddling to get the thing running. On the other hand I know nothing about more modern motors. But one day I would like to build a plane with one of those big radials on it. . .
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:34 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Well, the work roster for December is out, and there's going to be little time for flying this month (like 4 days). That does mean a fair amount of time at home waiting for the phone to ring, which is when I do most of my modelling.

A friend is going near the LHS tomorrow (its in another town), so hopefully I be re stocked and building this weekend.

Owl
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:46 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Some of the stuff arrived (out of stock of most of the wood I wanted unfortunately!). I didn't realise quite how big this was going to be . . .
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Live wire build

Owl, having had a lot of dealings with the live wire trainer and other 1950s electric conversions over the years, here is some info you may want to consider. The Trainer has a very short nose and is difficult to balance considering the original(1952) has a gas engine, fuel and forward located heavy batteries. The trainer has a very wide fuse that is not needed with today's equip. When you scale it up the fuse is going to be really wide. Keep the tail end as light as possible. Cut the elevators into the existing horizontal stabilizer maintaining the the original size, as close as possible, in other words don't hang the elevators on the back of the original stabilizer. Drop the width of the fuse to about 3-3/4 inches. There were several other Debolt Live Wires that were offered that are like the trainer but with these changes already in the plans and may be more suited for what you want to do and also the size you want. I have most of them if you would like pictures and demensions I will be glad to share them.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:18 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Thanks Bill - good advice, which I will take to heart. The structure will be changed somewhat, for although I'm a fan of solid planes, I don't really want to build a whole plane out of 3mm sheeting! Not only heavy, but a waste of wood. Also, "stick" builds are more fun!

I built the "wave" from RCME plans just over a year ago, which is all sheeted, and it flew OK (but then I did extend the wing a bit) and its around the same size.

But please feel free to post pictures plans or advice or anything else here - its all interesting, and of benefit to anyone else who may build one of these. Unrelated comments/chirps/photos are also, as always, more than welcome as well

Owl
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:14 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
I didn't realise it was gonna be this big But, I'll have lots of time to kill, and if I never finish it at least it will keep me busy
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,952 Posts
Nice paint scheme too, Owl...

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:04 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,907 Posts
Fuselage

Ok - after much head scratching, the fuse is ready to start being glued. Basically the plans calls for a fuse made of 3mm sheet wrapped around the formers, I want to build it a bit lighter. Once I've got the middle true and glued, the rest should be easy
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Back in 2004, I did some plans and work on the Live Wire Trainer for Bob Holman. In original size. His advertisement for DeBolt is to appear in Flying Models soon.

As you are doing this at 150% size, then his autocad files need to be increased an appropriate amount. Those parts which are of 1/4 inch balsa ought now to be of maybe 3/8"? He has facilities to laser cut up the parts tomorrow, if interested.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber