SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,389 Posts
gallfer:

Here is a little larger photo of Ron and his TX. Not much better but a larger scan.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
I don't fly the TT much as I do not want to damage it but I absolutely love the plane.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Ed
The history behind some of these ‘barn-finds’ is amazing. That TT story is awesome. Survivors like that are rare. I would be scared to death to put it in the air but on the other hand these things were built to fly and thats what they should be doing. I bought a Tipo hanging in my LHS. The rumor was it was from an estate sale and nosey me had to check the AMA number. Sure enough it belonged to a man named Ed Majors from Tempe, AZ who had recently passed away. A sticker on the nose called the plane “Miss Kelly”. According to his obit Kelly was is only daughter. So now I’m a nervous wreck every time I fly it with some sort of self imposed obligation to make sure it doesn’t crash.

But my other barn-find the opposite is true. The ‘A Mystery Plane’ as we call it (long story) from all indications is a one-off really pretty hobby shop ornament. It looks like it spent about 30 years hanging upside down as eye candy for the gawkers, dying a slow death. It had never flown. So now I figure every minute I have it in the air is bonus time. And not knowing the history helps. If I burn-it-in... Oh well. At least it got to fly. I just hope the NovaRossi survives.
Eric
edh13 is online now Find More Posts by edh13
Last edited by edh13; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,389 Posts
Eric:
I agree that these "barn finds" can have a wonderful story. Like you, I don't fly the TT 4 very much but it is hard not to want to fly it as it files soooo well.

Great Story on Miss Kelly. Perhaps someone from the Arizona or So. Cal. area might chime in with info about Ed Majors. The mystery plane looks nice. Try looking thru the planes at this link:
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/patterna.htm

If you can't identify it there, might try Classic Pattern Forum on the the "other" site.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
gallfer:

Here is a little larger photo of Ron and his TX. Not much better but a larger scan.

Ed
Thanks Ed! Sure looks like a SS Tx.

Gino
gallfer is online now Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,848 Posts
Eric,

I still think Enigma is a cooler sounding name. Looks really nice from the hind view.

I'm amazed you have no heat issues on the exhaust with that mean machine up front! Does any air flow through? The exit opening looks mighty small. Very slick.

How does the carbon compare to aluminum heat wise - colder probably isn't it?

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
484 Posts
Quote:

If you can't identify it there, might try Classic Pattern Forum on the the "other" site.

Ed
Thanks Ed, the guys on here have been trying to figure this one out for some time. We started with a 'guess what it is' thread and ended with a 'name it' thread because nobody could figure it out. I took it over to Camarillo last spring for a classic pattern meet and let the guys go over it. Tony F. couldn't even figure it out. David probably had the best name, Enigma, 'cause that's what it is. Here's a link, if you make it to the end there is a video of it flying.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543923
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post

I'm amazed you have no heat issues on the exhaust with that mean machine up front! Does any air flow through? The exit opening looks mighty small. Very slick.

How does the carbon compare to aluminum heat wise - colder probably isn't it?

David
Yea there is a heat issue. Even with the heat blanket tape that lined the pipe bay I was getting temps above 160 after shutdown. Fiberglass isn't happy over 150, it starts getting soft. I went ahead and vented the fues. I didn't want to, it looks like hell. It got real hot when my coupler blew. It was around 200 and I'm real lucky I got it down. The plastic servo mounts that were bolted thru the floor were melting. If it wasn't for the tape it would have burned thru the fues top. Might have even folded it up. I had to pull everything out and rebuild the floor etc.

The carbon pipe is much cooler to the touch than the aluminum. Still too hot to handle though.
Eric
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
Aerofox74
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jun 2009
13 Posts
Heat..... There is a company named Lydall Thermal Acoustical that makes a product called
ZeroClearance® In-Tack
An innovative solution developed and patented by Lydall to protect interior components from excessive heat. This adhesive backed application is designed to protect interior components on a vertical surface.

This is used around exhaust systems in automotive to protect gas tanks and floor pan carpets. You can purchase thru these guys http://www.randallraceparts.com/otherinsulation.html

Its expensive but it works. I use it inside all my tunnels and around exhaust pipe areas. Hope this helps

AeroFox74
aerofox74 is offline Find More Posts by aerofox74
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
742 Posts
Eric,
I am looking at moving the Classic Pattern get-Together to Lancaster for 2013, since the Condors field is still closed. There is the one day contest at Lancaster on Saturday, Feb. 10th as well. I hope to see you and Miss Enigma/Mysterio/whateveryacallit out this way again this year. That's a sweet flying airplane, thank you again for allowing me to fly it last year.
-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2004
127 Posts
still fly 72mhz with a xp9303

Nice plane. What radio are you using?[/QUOTE]
Cuba59 is offline Find More Posts by Cuba59
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
AMA MEMBER
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2010
392 Posts
Robert
Do you have or know of anyone that has a needle socket ys0365 for a a short stroke ys 60?
Don
frequentflyer1 is online now Find More Posts by frequentflyer1
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Test

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer1 View Post
Robert
Do you have or know of anyone that has a needle socket ys0365 for a a short stroke ys 60?
Don
Sorry, I have no YS parts. You may want to check with Kevin Gribben, he can make the YS sit, roll over and speak. He goes by Kevin 2035 here on RCG.

Merry Christmas,
Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
672 Posts
Very Cool!

Someday I hope to have a nice collection like that!

RG
R_G is offline Find More Posts by R_G