Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 30, 2001, 10:32 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Yep, Sad but true. They are gone.

I understand the property got so valuble right there on Shoreline that it was irresistable.

Kasra, I think I know you, I worked in Sheldons for a while, you used to come in the in the evenings. I'm Dave, grey hair, worked in aircraft there. If you are that Kasra, hello!

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2001, 10:47 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Dave! You need to come back to Sheldon's. Rene can be difficult at times. Some days he can be helpful but for the most part he's getting real grumpy.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Apr 30, 2001, 11:08 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Dave, What are you doing in Folsom? Just Kidding. It is really nice to hear from you. Do you still fly the E-PuddleMaster? I am all into electrics now and have not flown any gas in more than a year. Let me know if you ever come down here.

Kern, I think Rene is just relaying some of Ron Sheldon's attitude. He is a good guy stuck in a stressful environment.
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2001, 12:26 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
To ezone members in SF/SJ Bay Area

What ever happened to Pec's Hobby Supplies in Mountain View? Did they close or move or what? If they closed, thats a bummer cuz they had a large selection on parts and accessories.

Thanks
Al
atsiang is online now Find More Posts by atsiang
Old May 01, 2001, 12:35 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
What I heard was that the owner decided to retire and also they had a good offer on the location from a Japanese firm. As far as the shopkeepers, I believe Dan is working now at Castle Hobbies. Reggie flies down at SCCMAS. I don't know where Paul is.

They are all good people and the store was nice also. I bought my first electric stuff there.
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2001, 01:46 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
To all: yes, Dan is at Castle Hobbies; he's the only guy there representing the aircraft side of r/c. Castle is 90% car stuff...At Sheldon's, Rene does seem grumpy most of the time...
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old May 01, 2001, 02:23 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
What a bummer! Pec's Hobbies was my favorite hobby shop. Gotta find a new favorite hobby shop.

Al
atsiang is online now Find More Posts by atsiang
Old May 02, 2001, 07:07 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Kasra/tempest411
Don't get me wrong, I like Rene, but for the last year he seems to be getting grumpier everytime I'm in there. To bad, I used to enjoy chatting with him. I know Ron S. can be a pain, hope Rene can find a better environment to work in.
To bad about Pec's. Not to long ago I saw a neat little show on "Bay Area Backroads" about RC and Pec's was highlighted in it.
Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old May 02, 2001, 05:40 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Renae is a really nice guy at heart. He's simply stuck trying to do the jobs of two or three guys at once. I went in there one afternoon and he was about to quit. He was trying to run the register, answer the phone and help with customer questions all at once. I helped him out by checking out a kit that a lady customer had a problem with. He really is a nice guy once you get to know him. He now allows me to go behind the counter for my own battery packs and motors.

Have you guys tried San Antonio hobbies in Mtn View? Their prices aren't the best on some stuff, but they do have a LARGE selection of electric stuff, including MP Jet gearboxes. You kind of have to know EXACTLY what you need when you go in there.

R/C Country in Sacramento probably has the biggest selection of stuff I've seen anywhere, if you're up that way. There is also Dunbars Hobbies in Pittsburg, Small but cheap and growing.
Why don't some of you guys come up to Court Ln in Concord some Sunday and fly with us~~--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old May 02, 2001, 10:34 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi Kasra,
Yes, I still have the E-puddlemaster, just got it trimmed up for the new season for float flies. Also have been flying a much faster low wing with FAI 05, 7 1900's and a Hobby Lobby Supercub with 6V speed 400, mini olympus and 8 500AR's. Working on a larger test bed to try some Speed 600 stuff. Bring on some good weather!

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old May 02, 2001, 10:47 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,375 Posts
I too miss Pecks but I was able to take advantage of their going out of business sale. I want to invite all of you who fly electric to a fun fly outside of Modesto this summer. the main event is on Sunday and it is a fun fly with emphasis on World War I electrics but we will allow others to fly except for certain times when only WW I planes can fly. For more info check out our club web site on events: www.modestorcclub.com. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2001, 05:36 PM
Gilroy, Ca
Joined Jun 2001
5 Posts

Have any of you guys in the SF/SJ area thought about starting an electric RC Club here? I'm sure it's been talked about and there may already be one that I just haven't found. I recently moved here (live in Gilroy and work in Mt View) and am having a hard time finding a place to fly larger electrics. I have been flying my smaller models in a couple of parks near Mt View but I don't feel comfortable firing off a hot F5B type glider or other larger faster airplanes there because of the proximity of people to the flying field. The SCCMAS club seems to have nice folks and nice facilities but they are usually jammed and an electric airplane with 5 - 6 minutes of battery time may get stranded due to a busy pattern. Anyway, just thought I'd ask in case I missed a club or better flying site.
BumbleHead is offline Find More Posts by BumbleHead
Old Jun 27, 2001, 05:59 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,099 Posts
Bumble:

Have you been to Rancho San Antonio Park in Los Altos Hills? Take the Foothill Exp exit west off of 280, go about 50 yards, and turn right on Cristo Rey Drive. Go about a mile and you will come to the park. Just as you turn into the park there's an area set aside for electric RC. You'll find a big crowd there on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jun 27, 2001, 07:22 PM
Gilroy, Ca
Joined Jun 2001
5 Posts
Yep I've been there a couple of times and I have been to the one off 237 between Mt View and Milpitas a bunch. I got bad interference with one of my fast aileron gliders at San Antonio and my knees were shakin by the time I got it back. That's when I really started thinking about what I was flying with all those cars around. I really enjoy flying my foamies and slower gliders at either of those but I worry about anything else with the people and cars around. It sure would be nice to have somewhere to fly the bigger faster stuff away from the public. Just wishing I guess.
BumbleHead is offline Find More Posts by BumbleHead
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:34 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Sep 2000
109 Posts
Is that the DaveW that flew the teeny .02 planes with retracts at SCCMAS? If I'm correct you used to build scale subs?

Bumblehead- What schools are you flying at in MV? Where is the site off 237. I fly at a small field by calero resevior. We have about 20 members and 30 cows A busy Sunday is 4 people. I think we are limited to 25 members but it is secluded. I just started into electrics so I could fly closer home. I've been by Rancho San Antonio a couple of times but there was no parking to be had! I guess I need to get up earlier

Jay
J.Critchfield is offline Find More Posts by J.Critchfield