SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:34 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Thanks KeithK!

Thanks so much KeithK for taking me to the MARS Micro Modelers this afternoon!

I enjoyed flying, visiting, and seeing Al Clark's Air Swimmer Shark. It looks just like in the videos that I had seen. Also Al let me fly it twice, and I gained a little bit of experience pushing the tail right and left alternately to make it "swim". And doing more on one side than the other to make it turn. I can see now how they sell it so inexpensively. And that's not a complaint on my part.

I also learned tonight that Toys R Us has a radio-controlled version for $40 to compete with the IR version available by mail-order for $30. The R/C version does not appear to come on different channels. The IR version seems to be switch-selectable to three different codes or something. So I suppose theoretically we could have 4 of them in the air at once. Air Swimmer pylon racing, anyone?

I hope that one or more come to the next Grace Family Fun Fly Sunday September 18th.

Thanks again Keith!
Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:54 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Grace Family Fun Fly tomorrow 1-4 PM at Grace UMC

Hope to see you tomorrow afternoon at the GFFF!

Keith told me that he has completed his Air Swimmers Clown Fish and he plans to bring it. At the last MARS Micro Modelers, Al Clark brought his A S Shark. It was a blast to watch, and he let me fly it.

See you tomorrow afternoon!
Jim Marconnet
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:06 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Definitely a fun Grace Family Fun Fly Sunday!

We had a fun Grace Family Fun Fly Sunday the 18th. It was the day before my birthday, so my wife Pat made a birthday cake. We had no difficulty getting takers on that tasty German Chocolate cake.

I was glad to see not only the individual pilots, but several families with several different aircraft, having fun as a family group. Hopefully some of them will share their comments and perhaps some of their photos.

Thanks to all who responded to my survey. After reviewing the survey results, talking at some length to several repeat pilots, etc., it looks like next year's GFFF schedule and goings-on will probably be a lot like what we are doing this year. Pilots pretty much want to fly whatever they have with them where and as they'd like to fly them. They don't care much about "organized" stuff like competitions. They want a lot of flexibility and little or no commitments. That works!

Thanks to all who came, had fun, enjoyed the cake, and helped put the chairs and tables away afterwards!

Jim
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:45 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Jim

We had a great time as usual, thanks for doing this! It is very nice to allow my kids some flexibility with my son's remote controlled Can-Am Spyder motorcycle and my daughters remote controled dog too. They have a blast with the MCX and the little Air Hog isn't that bad with the slight mods I've done to the tail.

My Ultra Micro T-28 is just too fast for the gym, but afterward we had a blast down at the schools track with it. I did 'strafing runs' at the kids while they 'fired grass flack'. My son succesfully shot me down twice, no damage since it was so close to the groud, but they really enjoyed it.

If you have pictures of my daughters 'fish encouter' I would love to see them, my cell phone pictures are not very good.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Pat and I went over to St. Mary's of the Visitation this evening for Pat to read in the comfy parlor and for me to fly in their nice gym. It was nice to see the guys there again after a long time of my being away and to fly my Crazy Ball, Night Vapor, and Extra there.

I've gotten a bit spoiled flying in Grace UMC Gym, which is noticeably larger and taller. But St. Mary's is certainly better than not flying indoors at all! They fly virtually every Monday from 6-8 PM, a frequency that I personally could not do.

I found out that their typical turnout has decreased some. That means no need for air traffic control! Who knows what will happen there when things get cold again.

Pat and I had a good time there and we will go there again sometime.

Jim
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:14 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Hey Folks,,
I hope to show a couple of the photos of Keiths Clown fish from the last encounter at Grace Church..

Have a great week!

Bruce
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:44 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Very nice Grace Family Fun Fly today!

We had a very nice GFFF today. We had regulars and some new folks. Thanks Keith for helping the really new folks learn to fly with my Night Vapor.

Hopefully some others will share their photos and videos taken today. I'll download my photos in the next few days and share some of them here. Tomorrow Pat has her second outpatient kidney surgery, so I'll be tied up for a while taking care of her while she recovers.

My Grandson Jackson came today, and he had a great time, as usual.

Jim
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Huntsville, we have a Video!

Mark Mullen took video at our Grace Family Fun Fly held on October 9th and put together a terrific video!

Grace United Methodist Church Family Fun Fly (4 min 43 sec)

Thanks so much Mark!

Jim Marconnet
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Jim,

This is such a nice video. I'm sure you could use it to get a few people into the hobby or to participate in your fly-in! If only I lived closer!

-Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
The latest from Al Clark

Folks,

The MSFC Activities Building is getting hard to schedule these days due to so many functions going on. I did manage to reserve it for Wednesday, November 16 from 4:00 to 6:30. So bring out your latest toys and let’s see them fly. I know there are at least a couple new Air Swimmers floating around, so bring them and we’ll have a race!

Al Clark

Chief S&MA Officer for Flight Programs and Partnerships

Science and Mission Systems Assurance Branch/QD22

S&MA/MSFC Bldg 4203/Rm 2107

256-544-6967

256-683-8955 mobile
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Hey Jim we are going to try and make it out on Sunday. I picked up a couple of Force Battle helicopters for John and I to try out in the gym.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:35 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
All right! Those are a blast! A while back, Andy brought out 4 of them and a ground target to an early GFFF to shoot some video for an RCGroups review article. He and his 3 pilot friends had a blast with them, figuratively and literally. My only negative observation on them was that the machine gun sound that comes from the transmitter was not loud enough to be heard very far away.

Curious if anyone is bringing their pets to enter in the pet blessing, show, and contest benefitting Relay For Life starting at 3 PM outside on the North side of the church. I sent out info in a reminder email to the regulars who get GFFF reminders a week ahead.

Jim
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:48 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Indoor R/C Flying Witch - not here, sorry to say!

I ran into this video and I wanted to share it. Perhaps next year someone in the Huntsville area can build and fly something like this around Halloween!

Indoor Electric Flying Witch #2 (0 min 43 sec)

Jim
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Too far to drive!

At several of the Grace Family Fun Flys, I've had people ask if we fly there every Sunday afternoon. I've told them, "No, but the St. Mary of the Visitation Parish Center flying occurs nearly every Monday evening from 6-8 if you are interested in flying there."

I just ran into a little info on a different flying venue up in Michigan. Too far for us to drive, for sure. They require AMA and they charge for each session. But an annual pass, and also punch cards are available for sale. I'm posting info on their aerodrome to possibly help people here in Huntsville appreciate our free indoor flying at three different sites around town! http://www.skymasters.org/events/fly...mateindoor.pdf

I've decided that what I really want for Christmas this year is the new Hyper Taxi. We don't know yet if it will arrive in town late December or in January. But it should be fun. Hopefully it will make me look like a better pilot than I do with my current Crazy Ball! But I'll need to invest in some new batteries since it uses a 180 mAH 2S pack with a new/different connector than anything else that I already have.

Jim Marconnet
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
905 Posts
Jim,
Is there going to be a Grace fun fly on the 11th? I am going to try to make it if there is and also if you are going to get into the 180 2S packs then you need to look at this web site.
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...index&cPath=66 He has adapters for the 180 style plugs for everything. Charge from your balancer charger, use two 1s packs together, change from 180 to jst-xh etc etc etc... Just click on Parkzone UMX Beast in the Categories column and you will see what he has to offer.
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
Last edited by rcl_al; Dec 06, 2011 at 05:01 PM.