HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Indoor electric full-contact combat, anyone?

At yesterday's Grace Family Fun Fly, several pilots flew my Crazy Ball and clearly enjoyed it. We talked about the possibility of flying full-contact combat with slow, manueverable virtually indestructable planes with protected- or rear-props like that. It will be interesting to see if more CBs fly around town this summer.

Jim

Update: I ordered a second Crazy Ball kit to use as a template for building a second one, etc.. Hopefully I'll have it all cut out, put together, and flying in time for the July 17 GFFF! Even if I don't, Keith promised to bring his Bug, or something like that, with a carbon rod around the front that protects the prop. Sounds promising!
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jun 28, 2011 at 04:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:44 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Just a few days till the next Grace Family Fun Fly Sun. July 17, 1-4

I bought a second Crazy Ball kit to build a second CB for full-contact combat pylon racing. I'll use some parts of the kit, and cut my own foam instead of using much/any of the EPP foam. But that's about all I have to report on it so far. It clearly won't be ready in time for this GFFF. But my original CB is ready and raring to go!

The following video and pylons info is something to stimulate thought. No, I don't have one of those Parrots, nor the necessary Iphone to fly it either. But someone else in town may have or might get one.

[CES 2011] AR Drone's "Quadracopter" (1 min 44 sec)

Pylons: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=PTAPF730001

Race Donut: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=PTAPF730000

I like the look of that inflatable ring, too!

See you Sunday afternoon!

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added photo and info on race donut
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:03 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Hot off the press from Al Clark!

The MARS Micro Modelers will hold their next indoor flying session on Wednesday, July 27th, in MSFC Building 4316, from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. Itís been too hot lately to fly outdoors, so charge up you latest micro models and stay cool flying indoors! See you there!

-----

A sad note from me, Jim, since I recently got my layoff notice from CSC, this could possibly be my last time to fly with the MARS Micro Modelers.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:15 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
July GFFF was fun

We had fun at the July Grace Family Fun Fly, all 3.5 of us, that is. Fred, Keith, I, and my Grandson Jackson flew and ran the red race car.

Fred brought his new Crazy Ball, and Keith brought his NutBall. So we had plenty of opportunities for smashing and crashing. Several impacts, but no damage noted.

I tried wall-walking for the first time. And also ceiling twirling. Here is my first wall-walking attempt:
Untitled (0 min 27 sec)

Fred's CB looked neat and flew well. Here is some practice for full-contact-combat:
Untitled (0 min 25 sec)

See you all there twice in August!

Jim
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:06 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
Hey Jim looking forward to Sunday, RC Hobby Barn hooked me up and replaced my tandem rescue helicopter as it turned out it had a bad motor and blade. We have my son's mCX too that he is doing pretty good at.

I saw a mention of a red race car above. My son has an RC Can-Am Spyder he would like to bring if that is OK? link below for what it is.

http://www.newbright.com/product/view/id/145

John
Madison, AL
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:03 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
John, nice to hear from you. Look forward to seeing you again this Sunday. Sure, bring your son and his motorcycle. It looks like fun!

Jim
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:31 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
Great time today Jim. Thanks for some great indoor flying, will need a few more batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:37 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
John, glad you and your son came yesterday. Glad you had a good time flying, even with your apparent low-capacity battery problems. Had I been aware of your situation earlier, I might have been able to help troubleshoot some. I wonder if the batteries that power your charger may be weak/dead. The ones that come with the BNF and RTF planes are the cheapest in the world, and they only supply a few tens of charges. After that, I recommend you replace them with alkalines or rechargeable NiMh cells, and then recharge the rechargeables frequently to insure good full charges on your flight packs.

That may not be your situation, I know. But it's the easiest and first thing to check.

Jim
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:46 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Welcome Back!

It was nice yesterday to see a larger turnout yesterday than our last several GFFF. Even though the air-conditioned gym is simply great!, it seems that in summer people tend to go on vacations, to mow their yard, etc., for some odd reason.

Thanks to everyone who did the survey yesterday! We had really good participation, and your comments and suggestions were great!

When I send out the reminder a week ahead of the August 28th, GFFF, I'll include the survey. But here it is, in case anyone would like to PM or email me your thoughts. I've added the final question especially for anyone who has not flown with us for a while.

Please tell us what you like about the Grace Family Fun Flys

Please suggest what you'd like to see different in the GFFF thru the rest of 2011

Please suggest what you'd like to see different in the GFFF in 2012

If you have not flown with us in a while, why not?

Name (Optional)
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:35 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Why to buy from your Local Hobby Shop

John told me yesterday about how his first Rescue Helicopter did not work right out of the box. He took it back to R/C Hobbies. They tried it out and replaced it. That's why I always suggest that folks (especially new folks to R/C) buy at their local hobby shop if at all possible. Rick has always taken good care of his customers, including me!

Jim
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:01 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
I had an idea to add a simulator instruction with a laptop and controller. I have a net book and John does practice on it, but the screen is small.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:14 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Some Family Fun Flys in the past, I brought my notebook computer with FSOne installed and my trusty DX6 transmitter. It got some attention, but not all that much, so I've not brought it in a while. I can start bringing it again if there is interest.

Jim
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Next MARS Micro Modelers

We have MSFC building 4316 reserved for Wednesday, September 7th, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM. Charge up your models and come enjoy some good flying and socializing!

Al Clark

Note: I'm still on Al's email list, and I'll post the schedule here. But with my recent layoff from CSC after 14.5 years there, I no longer have the necessary badges and stickers to go onto the arsenal to these fly-ins. Bummer! Someone else will need to take some photos and report here on the events.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:10 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
[QUOTE=

-----

A sad note from me, Jim, since I recently got my layoff notice from CSC, this could possibly be my last time to fly with the MARS Micro Modelers. [/QUOTE]

hey Jim,
I am sorry to hear that bad news Jim. I have been out of communication for a couple of weeks. My thoughts and prayers are with you..

Bruce
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
The latest from Al Clark on Wednesday September 7 MMM

Just a reminder we will be having a flying session this Wednesday, Sept. 7, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM. I will be bringing my new lighter than air “Air Swimmer”; come check it out. I’ll also likely be running a bit late so will probably arrive at around 4:30 PM.

--
I may be able to join you guys if the arrangements with Keith work out.

I'd really like to see Al's Air Swimmer. It's a Clownfish or a Shark blimp that you fly with an interesting man-powered IR controller.

Air Swimmers - Awesome RC Flying Shark and Clownfish! (1 min 43 sec)

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Sep 06, 2011 at 02:58 PM.