SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
No, I've never seen one. Bring one and fly it if you have one!

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Jim, has anyone showed up with the Air Hogs Pocket Copter? This looks cool...
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:03 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,885 Posts
Thanks Jim. Tempting, as you can get in the air real quick.
Work has been hectic lately; not sure if I can get to the FF this time.
Kevin
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:31 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Yes, the next Grace Family Fun Fly will be held Sunday April 24, 1-4 PM.

Yes, this is Easter Sunday. It was scheduled on that date without my realizing it's Easter. It's scheduled, has been publicized, and will be held then. Come if you want, or not. It's up to you.

Last year the FFF on Father's Day attracted me and one other pilot. We had a great time sharing the whole Madison UMC gym between just two of us!

I'm building a new, different plane called a Crazy Ball. I may have it finished and if so, will fly it this Sunday. It's something like a white Easter egg, that flys!

Jim
Crazy Ball?...... Sounds like my kind of plane.... hehe

Bruce
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:38 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
With various things going on in my crazy live, and I'm still awating the correct motor and some metal-gear servos from China, I won't have the Crazy Ball equipped this Sunday. But I'll bring it along to build up suspense!

Jim
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:41 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
With various things going on in my crazy live, and I'm still awating the correct motor and some metal-gear servos from China, I won't have the Crazy Ball equipped this Sunday. But I'll bring it along to build up suspense!

Jim
Good Idea Jim, I like a Mystery.......
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
It turned out that Scott has my Dremmel Tool and my electric drill and bits at work to finish up his Senior Design Project at UAHuntsville, so I could not have finished up the Crazy Ball for Sunday regardless. So I'll bring it unfinished, as I said.

I've gotten two phone calls so far. Yes, this GFFF is tomorrow, April 24, on Easter Sunday afternoon.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Apr 24, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:48 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Great Easter Sunday Grace Family Fun Fly Yesterday!

I was surprised how many people came out (in) to fly yesterday afternoon at Grace UMC. Thanks to all who came! And Happy Easter!

Sorry about the closet with the tables being unexpectedly locked up tight. I'm working to avoid that happening again. Glad we were able to get by with what tables we could scrounge up, plus using the edge of the stage.

About the "wind" from the two air conditioning units... I think next time I'll schedule several A/C off times, perhaps from 1:30-2, 2:30-3, and 3:30-4. Subject to change, of course. That would give the Carbon Butterfly, etc. pilots some time to fly freely. During those times, I think I'll ask all helicopter pilots to fly over in the no-spectator zone. I know that when that CX heli was flying yesterday, I either flew in the other half of the gym from it, or I stayed on the ground. I learned something at the earlier GFFF where my new Night Vapor became a victim of an encounter with a heli!

Another thing I think I'll ask for is a volunteer to dust broom the gym floor afterwards. I've been doing it myself, to leave the gym nicer than when we found it. No, we don't trash it any. Running the blue duster is not like a Zamboni to watch. Anyone want to come up with an R/C Bluey to dust while we fly?

I have a many years old Roomba. Perhaps we could put a dust mop, Swiffer, something soft around it and let it entertain us while we fly? Can you imagine the pattern it's random ramblings would make?

See you all in three weeks!

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Apr 25, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:02 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
[QUOTE=Jim_Marconnet;

Another thing I think I'll ask for is a volunteer to dust broom the gym floor afterwards. I've been doing it myself, to leave the gym nicer than when we found it. No, we don't trash it any. Running the blue duster is not like a Zamboni to watch. Anyone want to come up with an R/C Bluey to dust while we fly?

Jim[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim,
Josh and I had a great time last sunday. Thanks.... I will definately volunteer to do the floor sweep after our next flyin'. Take care and have a great week...

Bruce
Old May 04, 2011, 04:41 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Power is back on at Grace UMC!

And at my house too! I would have hoped to do some substantial plane repairs over this forced time off work, but somehow other priorities like finding and tending a generator and gasoline and food have taken my priority.

Hope everyone is safe and gets your power back on soon if it's not on already.

Jim
Old May 04, 2011, 05:17 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Hey Jim,
Glad you and your family are good. same stuff been goin on at my home. Got some power ontues for a while. back on today... hope it stays. home phone and internet about 15 minutes ago... whew......
Take care and see you soon...

Bruce
Old May 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Nice GFFF Sunday May 15!

Thanks to all who came Sunday. Turnout was somewhat below normal, but that meant plenty of airspace for everyone. We did have one major midair anyway.

My photos are still in my camera.

When the A/C units were running, we had plenty of turbulence and downdrafts. I had thought about having A/C off periods, probably from 1:30 to 2:00 and from 2:30 to 3:00. And during that time to have all helis fly over in the No Spectators area. But the boxes of stuff from the Sparkman Junk Sale bolluxed up that plan. Hopefully by next time we'll have the entire gym to ourselves again.

My Mom from Illinois enjoyed her week+ visit and especially the GFFF. It was great that my grandson Jackson could come. He had a great time poking thru several of the boxes of stuff left over. My Mom had no checked luggage, so she was unable to get too interested in the stuff left over for the next time.

Jim
Old May 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
MARS Micro Modelers Flying Session June 22

The latest from Al Clark:

I know itís been a while since MMM has had a flying session. The MSFC Activities Building is being utilized frequently these days so itís a bit harder to reserve a time slot. Our next flying session will take place Wednesday, June 22, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in MSFC building 4316. Hopefully some of you have acquired a few of the micro flyers that have recently shown up in the hobby shops, so bring Ďem out and letís see them fly!

Al Clark
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:35 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
A few photos from the May GFFF

Sorry it took me soooooo long to get these out of my camera.

Jim
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:34 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Nice GFFF yesterday June 5. Just 5 pilots in attendance. That surprised me. I figured with it sooooooo hot outside that we'd be swamped with pilots. No problem either way. We had plenty of airspace and fun.

Rick and I flew the Crazy Ball in there for the first time and I got some photos. It's Crazy!

I brought back my Roomba for a moving landing target for the helis. We had a number of successful landings, and lots of near-misses and aborts. Great Fun!

See you the 26th!
Jim
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,388 Posts
Nice MARS Micro Modelers flying after a long absence

We had a nice turnout and a nice time flying tonight at NASA.

I flew my Crazy Ball there several times and it got a lot of attention. The tiny Planectraco planes wisely stayed far away from it. One Vapor attacked it and actually took it down. The new nickname for the CB is the Death Star!

Curt flew that beautiful biplane he built powered by Vapor guts. Soooooo slow it flys! Hopefully by the next MMM, he will have a larger rudder on it. Turning took too much advance planning with the current tiny rudder.

Thanks, Al, for having us!
Jim