HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:52 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Fun flying at Brownsboro Baptist Church tonight, and just one more fly-in scheduled

Next to last Brownsboro Baptist Church gym fly-in of the season was tonight. Nice turnout and fun flying. Their next flying is Monday 3/25/2013 from 6:30-8:30.

Tonight's flying was punctuated, as it were, with the alarm system sounding off the whole evening, except for 10 seconds or so if someone went and pressed the "2" button on the control panel. They had reportedly had alarm problems all day, and the promised service person never showed up. Hopefully tomorrow. Funny how with a few pilots chatting and flying planes and helis, the fun sounds quickly drown out the alarm!

Tonight when I flew my Crazy Ball, several times the downdraft drove other planes and helis smack dab into the gym floor. But I'd never be able to duplicate that again if I tried!

Tommy successfully flew my Crazy Ball and even did some wall-walking. The next pilot with a Depron 3D plane who tried (at least he said he meant to do do that!) wall walking blew the whole front third of the plane to bits, retiring that airframe early.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:21 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
MARS Micro Modelers Wed 2/27/2013 4-6 PM

Wednesday, March 27, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in the MSFC Activities Building 4316. Bring out your new stuff and try it out!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:59 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,743 Posts
Thanks Jim! I guess I missed so many sessions I have been dropped from the distro list
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:13 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Flew tonight with the St. Mary of the Visitation pilots

Tonight after a long absence, I drove downtown to fly with the guys at St. Mary's of the Visitation Parish. Saw several familiar faces and some new faces. One face that looked a big familiar, but the size was wrong turned out to be one of Bob Gabrys' grandsons who Grew Up! Kids do that when you are not watching them.

I talked to Marcus at length about things back out at AMRDEC. Sounds very slow there, plus the concerns about the sequester furloughs.

All and all I had a fun 6-8 PM flying and talking with the guys with none of the organizing, setup, and tear down responsibilities that I have at Grace UMC.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:05 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Wed May 15 MARS Micro Modelers!

Here is the latest from Al Clark: Our next flying session will take place Wednesday, May 15, in MSFC building 4316 from 4:00 to 6:30PM. Bring out your latest flying toys and have some fun with us!
Old Jun 03, 2013, 04:19 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Nice Grace Family Fun Fly yesterday Sunday 6/2/2013 at Grace United Methodist Church! Thanks to all who came and especially to all who helped tear down afterwards. Before I could get my stuff off the tables and out into the hall, all the tables and chairs were put away. Thanks!

One family came with 3 generations represented. And two wife's with the same first name!

We had what seemed like a new record number of quads present and flying at once. I sadly learned that the beautiful tight flips they were doing were done with the press of a button on top of the transmitter. My attempts to do flips manually with my older and less smart mQX took a huge amount of airspace, much guts, and resulted in breaking a boom. Pushing a button on the Tx to flip seems like "cheating" to me, but it's definitely fun!

I learned a few of Bic's "secrets". He stays practiced up for our monthly indoor fun flys by flying multi-million-dollar UAVs, by flying an R/C plane designed to fly just like a UAV, and by practicing hours and hours frequently on simulators. His plane-building skills are augmented by several skilled paid builders over at Tommy's E-Mergent Hobby Shop. He also installs two- and three-axis gyros on his indoor electric airplanes and adjusts the gains to his personal preferences. His latest, simplest, lightest, best, and least inexpensive radio/gyro setup is a combined unit from HobbyKing with the case removed to reduce weight!

Another thing I learned about Bic is that he is looking for some more commercial customers for his aerial photo business. I'm amazed at the sharpness and clarity he gets with his R/C aerial setup!

Come fly with us in July on Sunday July 7th from 1-4 PM!
Old Jun 03, 2013, 04:23 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Bic's the man.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:14 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
The latest from Al Clark

Folks,

No luck scheduling the MSFC Activities Building 4316 in June Ė itís very busy. Our next flying session is scheduled for Wednesday, July 10 from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in MSFC Building 4316. We will have a few new folks this time so Iíve attached a map of the buildings. Bring out your new flying toys and have some fun!

Al Clark
Chief S&MA Officer
Flight Programs and Partnerships Office
Bldg 4201, Room 445
256-544-6967
256-683-8955 mobile
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:47 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
De ja view all over again out at RSA

Thanks, Keith, for taking me Wednesday onto the RSA for the MARS Micro Modelers! It was nice to see several of my old flying buddies there.

Dodging the power drops and the internet drops all over the ceiling brought back the memories!

Getting locked "out" in the kitchen/bathroom section of the building was a first for me. On subsequent trips, I blocked the door open to avoid having to exit the building, walk around, and re-enter at our main entrance, also locked!

The nano-QXs sure buzzed around. Thanks, Darren, for letting me fly yours. Having something that you can throw randomly into the air, power up the throttle, and have it self-right is quite a spectacle! My only concern was that it was so tiny that I had a real challenge keeping oriented front-to back in the air. No idea what I would have done with it in the acrobatic mode. I also had no idea that the little black plastic transmitters had a fifth-channel push switch hidden in the left stick. Who would have thought of it way back when when they designed this Tx?

Anyway, I had a nice flying time out there with some of my old buddies! Thanks again, Keith!
Old Aug 05, 2013, 07:21 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
The latest MARS Micro Modelers flying info from Alan Clark

Our next MMM flying session will be Wednesday August 14th, 4:00 to 6:30 PM, in MSFC building 4316. Map is attached for some of our newer members. Bring out your latest flying toys and letís have some fun!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 05:44 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Pat and I dropped over to Emergent R/C and visited with Tommy this afternoon. I had not been there in quite a while. He had been rearranging the entire shop, getting ready for the Christmas stock-up, and it all looked terrific, even though I could not tell that he had more to rearrange yet.

He told me that some time this fall, he and Jim will put together a flying schedule for the Baptist church gym. I told him I'd be glad to help get that schedule circulated once he/they get it put together.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:37 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
The latest announcement from Al Clark - Wednesday September 18th

Folks,

Our next flying session will be Wednesday, Sept. 18, from 4:00 to 6:30 in MSFC building 4316. Bring out your latest flying toys and have some fun!
Old Sep 09, 2013, 03:33 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Yesterday's Grace Family Fun Fly had on of the smallest attendance in some time. We had 4 pilots plus two spectators.

Bic had a new foreign aircraft recently built to fine-tune as he likes it. On it's maiden voyage, he demonstrated how important it is to get the gyros set up correctly, not backwards! On what should have been a mild maneuver, the reversed gyro suddenly rolled the plane so hard that it apparently twisted the motor off the front of the foam airframe. Impressive! Fortunately with some super glue, redoing the gyro setting, etc., he soon had it back in the air and got it flying really great! His airshows are great. Now if he would just do them in time to some nice music....

I was recovering from a sinus infection. So I flew my Night Vapor a few times and mostly chatted with the other pilots and the spectators.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 05:50 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Life is the journey, not the destination, or something like that

In my personal quest for a Vapor with ailerons (good luck on that one!), or a really light, slow, indoor aerobatic plane, I recently ordered a Vision 3D airplane kit and I bought the "guts" of an UM Sbach 342 with AS3X "magic" from Bob to power it cheaply instead of the ludicrously expensive radio/motor equipment typically used on this plane if flying F3P. I just want to fly slowly and do a few acrobatics like Bic Green does. Hopefully without all the gyro settings, tweaking, etc.

Vision 3D Assembly Manual in case you want to see it: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_kT...pOYVd5VTg/edit

As soon as it arrived, I was all fired up to get it built and equipped in time for the next Grace Family Fun Fly. But then I realized (1) that my work table is completely covered with hobby and gardening stuff, (2) that the reports say this complex airframe takes 20-30 hours to build as compared to the 2-3 hours that "normal" foamys take to build, and (3) that the next GFFF is Sunday November 3rd. Plus (4) that life is all about the journey, not the destination, etc.

So I'll get the work table cleaned off as I can, and then I'll build this plane as I can. And I'll enjoy the journey, keeping this as sturdy (EPP, no milled Depron here) and light-weight as I reasonably can. And I'll equip and fly it when it's ready! Probably not in November, but hopefully early in December. But there will be 2014.

I've noticed that many pilots at the GFFF fly things they bought, bound, etc. That's just fine. Buy 'em. Build 'em. Bring your family. Fly and have fun!
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Oct 20, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:04 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
The latest from Alan on the MARS Micro Modelers

The Activities Building 4316 is beginning to get fully booked up, as is usual for the latter part of the calendar year. I managed to get us a spot next Tuesday, October 29, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM. This may be our last flying session this season due to lack of availability of 4316, but I will try to squeeze in one more flying session in November. Bring out your latest models and have some fun with us next Tuesday!

Al Clark
Chief S&MA Officer
Flight Programs and Partnerships Office
Bldg 4201, Room 445
256-544-6967
256-683-8955 mobile