SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
MARS Micro Modelers Wed. October 21 4-6:30 PM

The latest from Al Clark:

Our next flying session will be Wednesday, October 31, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in the MSFC Activities Building 4316. Come out and join us with your latest flying machines!

Al Clark
Chief S&MA Officer
Flight Programs and Partnerships Office
Bldg 4201, Room 445
256-544-6967
256-683-8955 mobile
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Update from Al Clark

Folks,

Sorry, but we have been displaced on 31 October. We will now fly on Wednesday, November 7th . Same time and place.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
Jim,

Good news for those of us with Halloween commitments!
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Yes,
I do have a few houses to haunt..... Boo
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:11 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Small turnout today, but I learned something helpful

We had two new pilots today who live near Grace United Methodist Church. Welcome!

We had just one other pilot, besides me, of course.

We all had a nice flying time with no mid-airs or significant crashes, and we got enough flying in by about 3:00. So they went home. I stayed a while longer testing some packs in my Night Vapor. For some reason or another, several of my packs seem to charge ok, but they won't even fly a Vapor. Now that's Dead!

The thing I learned today was that if you fly standing up or even sitting on a chair up on the stage, the visibility is noticeably better, and the glare from the overhead lights is much reduced. Yes, you get to climb up and down the several steps up to the stage, and then down again later. But I thought it was worth it for better visibility, less glare, etc.

I've requested GFFF dates for 2013, and have most, but not all of them approved. In 2013, we'll have the GFFF once a month instead of the every 3 weeks or so we've had them in 2012.

Come fly with us indoors some time if you'd like to!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:02 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Grace Family Fun Fly Schedule for 2013 is set!

2013 Grace Family Fun Flys
All are 1-4 PM at Grace United Methodist Church
2113 Old Monrovia Rd. Huntsville AL 35806
Jan 6
Feb 10
Mar 3
Apr 21
May 5
Jun 2
Jul 7
Aug 4
Sep 8
Oct 6
Nov 3
Dec 1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:18 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Thanks Jim for all your hard work so we can all enjoy some indoor flyin' and hangin' out......You are much appreciated...

Bruce
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Had a great time this morning flyin' and hangin' out with some of the Grace Fun Fly Folks. Yes, Quite a bit of outside big airplane and Heli flyin'. good time with a bunch of good folks....
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:12 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Bruce: I saw an indoor plane with your name on the box being worked on there today at Intergraph and bound to a different transmitter, etc. I went around handing out 2013 flyers for the Grace Family Fun Flys. Not sure if I got one to the apparently new owner of that Ember. Perhaps next time I'm with the guys at Intergraph, you can help me give flyers to everyone there who might want to fly indoors with us.

Here is the new flyer in .PDF in case that's handy for anyone.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Great Idea Jim..

I believe there may be some new folks coming this Sunday...... See You there...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:15 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
2012 GFFF is completed! Now for 2013

Looking back, looking forward. Mostly Forward!

Sunday we had several regulars and several new pilots. Experienced pilots, but new to us. Welcome!

Keith brought his new Mini Vapor. It flew just like the original Vapor and the Night Vapor as far as I could tell, just watching it. I declined his kind offer to fly it to prevent an overwhelming desire to immediately go buy one myself!

2013 GFFF? New schedule flying once a month. Same terrific gym. Same tables and chairs. A parade of old and new pilots and aircraft. A few wheeled vehicles expected and generally welcome. The Eye of the Needle suffered a crushing death out in my garage this season. But the terrific 2011 video will live on!

Horizon and others have so many new planes and helis and quads and on and on available to us! And some of them can reasonably be flown in one's living room. In that sense, fewer people will need to come fly in the gym. But they can start small and grow, or bring their small airframes to a huge for them venue.

Today I'm getting from Trent a crushed hulk of an airframe and some gear to do something with that will be more powerful than my Extra 300 and more survivable, I hope, than my Divo. Hopefully that will become a new regular plane for me to fly, or else another box project for someday start/completion. We'll see. Hope springs eternal!

Sunday January 6, 2013, 1-4 PM, bring out your new Christmas flying toys and your experienced airframes and lets have Fun!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Yesterday I took 2013 GFFF schedules to the three great local R/C Hobby Shops and posted them there.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Nice New Year's Eve flying at Brownsboro Baptist Church gym

I went over tonight for my first time to fly at the Brownsboro Baptist Church gym. We flew from 4-8 PM. Tommy generously had pizza brought in at 6 PM. About 20 pilots, plus some family members were there. A lot of flying occurred. Definitely a Fun way to celebrate New Year's Eve!

Jim Yearta is their leader. I got to meet and to talk to him some tonight. This winter they are flying every other Monday evening till the weather breaks. Then the pilots tend to fly outside, so their indoor flying will end for the season.

For more info and schedules of their flying, contact Jim Yearta or Tommy at E-Mergent.

Bic Green got to wring out my Osiris twice tonight. He showed us right away what it can do! He told me that he briefly had one, but his two dogs tore it up before he got to do much with it. He said to change nothing on this one, except dig out some better LiPos for More Power! On the second flight, he was using so much power that the 2 screws holding the motor to the motor mount backed out. Locktite to follow!

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:47 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Great kickoff today to the 2013 Grace Family Fun Flys!

Tommy from E-Mergent R/C came, and he invited several of his pilots, we had some new local pilots, and we had several people bring their Christmas presents in to fly. We had about 20 pilots total today. I never even tried to count them, as they came and went over the time we had the Grace UMC gym.

I had my two terrific grandsons and my wife Pat there to help watch and to enjoy them. They had a great time.

Bic Green, Rick Nelson, and I flew my rebuilt Osiris today. It definitely can be flown slowly in this gym. Bic flew two other large planes. Tommy flew a large plane. We had a LOT of helicopters flying today. My grandsons drove around the Red and the White race cars and a new flip-over and LED lights all over sporty vehicle.

We enjoyed some donuts and some breakfast pie left over from our church breakfast celebrating reaching the half-way point in raising the money to build a new home on Sand Mountain next year.

I'd call today's flying a great kickoff to 2013. Our next GFFF is Sunday February 10th.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
The latest MARS Micro Modelers flying info from Al Clark

Our next flying session will be Wednesday, February 6th, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM in the MSFC Activities Building 4316. I figure a lot of you got new flying toys from Santa, so bring ‘em on out and get some flying in!

Al Clark
Chief S&MA Officer
Flight Programs and Partnerships Office
Bldg 4201, Room 445
256-544-6967
256-683-8955 mobile