HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
385 Posts
So you guys mean you've got the ailerons isolated from the elevators and then have the rudder mixed the elevators? I think I'm going to give that a shot as I couldn't find a good place to hide a rudder servo and am having a problem with clean turns.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Whiskey it has to be split elevator halfs, each half on it's own servo. This Toonie 737 had it and it worked wonderfully . Right up untill the crash... lol
737 crash (3 min 24 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Maybe 3 servos were a little too much for a cheapie 10A esc.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,279 Posts
I tried inverted again with my F-22. Still no luck, wants to sink, even at full throttle,and full elevator. What's a good way to move the cg back without adding weight? Has anyone pushed the battery into the intake? Would that mess up the ducting?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I converted my mirage as pusher. Slapped an AXN stock motor and prop on it. Wide flight envelope now. Goes really slow and as fast as a 3S alloy EDF setup. CG is moved back from stock by about 10mm.

Mirage Pusher (0 min 52 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I converted my mirage as pusher. Slapped an AXN stock motor and prop on it. Wide flight envelope now. Goes really slow and as fast as a 3S alloy EDF setup. CG is moved back from stock by about 10mm.

]
Looks really good. I've been tempted to make the F-16 a pusher like my old Ultrafly F-16. That was a nice bird.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Cheese5, My son altered the Mirage to place the battery back into the intake . And it was the cats meow compared to the nose heavy , dive at the ground bird it was otherwise. He made a hatch over the V splitter in the intake , then cut away the V and the battery sits in the duct work where the V was. If I ever un-retire my F-22 I'm gonna try it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Dang Mike, that pusher took care your nose heavieness and goes like a B O O H (Bat Out Of H---). Nice performance and probably longer flight time too
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Al, it flies really great now. I looked at the uncut video and I got 6:30 seconds out of it with mixed throttle settings, which is either high speed passes or low speed high alpha. I asked you about the Jas39 and had the pusher conversion in mind if that was similar to the Mirage. My reflex for level flight on the Mirage is now is now about half of what it is as an EDF. I'll take some pictures in the next few days and provide more details since Gooniac is interested.

Joe, when I think of a pusher F-16, I keep imagining that the soft nacelle collapse just as I launch the plane and bzzzzttt... I have a phobia of launching pushers too..

queadlunnrau, that tattooed F-22 looks wicked! Does it improve the visibility greatly?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I tried inverted again with my F-22. Still no luck, wants to sink, even at full throttle,and full elevator. What's a good way to move the cg back without adding weight? Has anyone pushed the battery into the intake? Would that mess up the ducting?
Hey that's Baylands!! Now I know who you are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Al, it flies really great now. I looked at the uncut video and I got 6:30 seconds out of it with mixed throttle settings, which is either high speed passes or low speed high alpha. I asked you about the Jas39 and had the pusher conversion in mind if that was similar to the Mirage. My reflex for level flight on the Mirage is now is now about half of what it is as an EDF. I'll take some pictures in the next few days and provide more details since Gooniac is interested.

Joe, when I think of a pusher F-16, I keep imagining that the soft nacelle collapse just as I launch the plane and bzzzzttt... I have a phobia of launching pushers too..

queadlunnrau, that tattooed F-22 looks wicked! Does it improve the visibility greatly?
That thing flew awesome!! Way better than with EDF! I may have to do that myself....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
Luck is my skill
On Earth
Joined Jun 2009
1,005 Posts
The black tats don't help much with visibility

My eyes are getting worse as the years go by too I may need to invest in some florescent paints.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Micheals Acrylic Neon... My man
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:22 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
So you guys mean you've got the ailerons isolated from the elevators and then have the rudder mixed the elevators? I think I'm going to give that a shot as I couldn't find a good place to hide a rudder servo and am having a problem with clean turns.
Here is a video I did showing the mix, apologies its a bit rubbish I got confused at the beginning
skip to 0:38 to see the action.

The mix was a real pain for me to program, I found it very confusing.

F35 flapperon taileron (2 min 23 sec)

I think the F22 could do with fully moving horisontal stabs like the F35.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
here's a photo of how I mounted the motor.
  • The plywood mount sits flush with hole.
  • Motor sits in the center of the mount.
  • No thrust angle.
  • AXN stock motor from HK
  • 5x5 prop, but I had no idea where I bought it from. found it in my parts box.
  • 30A ESC
Last edited by miketre; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
Yep thats tailerons Green_ F. Next time instead of the complicated mix try selecting " V Tail Mix" on your transmitter and let it do the mixing , works like a , ( what do you Brits say?) treat? You just have to reverse one rudder direction ( I think )... I can't remember cause it was my 13 year old son who came up with it.