HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
tempting,so what do u think of SA version,it should fly as well since its an f-16,but not sure...right now i have like 5 EDFs i want...its a sickness man...lol
Haha... I know the feeling.
I am almost ashamed to admit that I have almost 40 in service EDFs. My hanger is almost full.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,625 Posts
I have the Skyangels F-16 and can recommend it. It's faster than the T-45 due to its sleeker aerodynamic shape. The battery compartment is not nearly as big as the T-45. Went with a G3 Hyperian 850 3S 25C.

The addiction does get to me too sometimes. I average about a plane per month. I needed a " fix" today so I went ahead and bought the Phase 3 F-16. Good deal that I just could not pass up. Highly acclaimed.

What I really like about the JPowers 50mm line-up, is the Henry Ford Interchangable parts concept. Fan's, motors,esc's etc. The mini warbirds like the Rare Bear use the same basic components. So, I always have a "hangar queen " to go to in a pinch.

Hobbyb is my new best friend.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
The Sky Angel F16 flew great, but it was brittle (for a newbie like me). No warped surfaces and if there were it would be easy to fix compared to my Mig. It's a like a delta wing (no rudder, only 2 servos controlling both ailerons and elevator).

However, the Mig has survived because the wings, stab, tail are all much thicker and stronger even though the foam arrived warped. The underside of the F16 (duct) is thin and was severely damaged in the crashes. The electronics survived. The servo horns and the fan blades did not.

I just order a F18 kit only - which I'll use the guts from the F16 on. I love these Sa jets, but realize they are pretty fragile.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I just order a F18 kit only - which I'll use the guts from the F16 on. I love these Sa jets, but realize they are pretty fragile.
Some are more fragile than others. The F-16 is perhaps the most fragile, the nose area of the F-18 isn't far behind even though the rest of it is quite robust. The Mig is pretty darned tough, as is the F-86.

If you want to see fragile, you should have been around in the days of the early foamies. Breath on them wrong and you had confetti.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Haha... I know the feeling.
I am almost ashamed to admit that I have almost 40 in service EDFs. My hanger is almost full.
40?? Our laundry room has room for 8. I'm at 7 (total) now. Guess I'll be in the garage next, but I will need some authorization. Just so I have a case, anyone see any problems with tempertaure swings in the garage hangar?
dagger169 is offline Find More Posts by dagger169
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,625 Posts
I see a problem becasue I have a problem. Live in the DFW area where it's been over 100F most of the summer. The garage, unless it's very well ventilated acts like "hot house" Good fro growing tomatoes but not good for planes IMO. Not a good environment for glue, especially if you have any foamies that are built using hot glue.

I try to keep my best of breed in my office. The big ole trainers like the Cub, C-182 and T-28 can sleep ot there. The good thing with the Skyangels and the JPowers Mini-Warbirds besides being small is that you can hang them on the wall with a simple picture hangar.

Wife thinks my office looks hideous but it's my man-cave and sometimes you just have to put your foot down and remind that you're King !-LOL (yeah, right) I tell her it's my wall of fame I did agree not to hand them from the ceiling.

-Hawk
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger169 View Post
40?? Our laundry room has room for 8. I'm at 7 (total) now. Guess I'll be in the garage next, but I will need some authorization. Just so I have a case, anyone see any problems with tempertaure swings in the garage hangar?
Well, that's just the jets. There's more stuff like prop planes, helis, quads, ultra micro stuff. It's a disease for sure.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
The cub is de-winged already and I can probably squeeze 2 more minis in. Guess I'll sneak one into my son's room. Hang it like the models i built as a kid.
...thought... I bet he would love to start flying and collecting planes too! That's it!!! Problem solved....
dagger169 is offline Find More Posts by dagger169
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:40 AM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Just airbrushed a retired F-18. Did it fast just to test my talent. Not so bad i think...
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Not bad! I would lose orientation. I have a hard time with orientation so I applied a flat white on the bottom of one of my F-22 and the other I used yellow tape. I perfer the flat white.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2010
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Just airbrushed a retired F-18. Did it fast just to test my talent. Not so bad i think...
Yes very cool for the living room display,but that baby would be hard to see for me i would imagine ... very stealthy sweet jet!
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2010
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Well, that's just the jets. There's more stuff like prop planes, helis, quads, ultra micro stuff. It's a disease for sure.
Man and i thought i was over doing it... You may want to try a 12 step program...Just kidding ,in 3-4 years i may be close to that who knows
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,625 Posts
Guys,

I had a slight mishap with the F-16 yesterday. Spooled-up full throttle and and right as I was ready to toss, she spit the fan out of the fuse. The bell housing is cracked. Motor is okay.

Best place for a diirect replacement? Toysonics? Hobbyb? I try to avoid HK... for these small orders.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Guys,

I had a slight mishap with the F-16 yesterday. Spooled-up full throttle and and right as I was ready to toss, she spit the fan out of the fuse. The bell housing is cracked. Motor is okay.

Best place for a diirect replacement? Toysonics? Hobbyb? I try to avoid HK... for these small orders.
Toysonics.com and bidproduct.com are two that I've not had an issue with.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,625 Posts
Thanks Joe,

Just ordered a bunch from Toysonics.

Hawk