HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
That's an old video. Description with the gyro says version 2. As for gyro's on planes a no no...... Eflite AS3X UMX Mig15 and all of the UMX series planes. The little Mig15 is a very fun flyer and handles the wind great thanks to the AS3X. Going to try 3s batt on it give it a speed boost.
The reason i think gyro's are not so great is it prevents the pilot from learning to fly correctly as the gyro makes it extra easy..but for those that can't fly without them i think its a good thing...i myself want to be in control so i gradually always improve my flying skills...What i think would be cool as far as gyro's and planes go,is if u could switch it on from transmitter if u lost site of your model and the gyro would land plane safely automatically....they may already have this...
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:31 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
The reason i think gyro's are not so great is it prevents the pilot from learning to fly correctly as the gyro makes it extra easy..but for those that can't fly without them i think its a good thing...i myself want to be in control so i gradually always improve my flying skills...What i think would be cool as far as gyro's and planes go,is if u could switch it on from transmitter if u lost site of your model and the gyro would land plane safely automatically....they may already have this...
You are mixing gyro with uav or stabilirator boards

Gyro can't fly for you, just sense the rotation and has no idea if the aeroplane is level or upsidedown

Tchuss

E_lm_70

Ps: often the vibration of an edf make the gyro totally useless, non digital servo also dont help much with gyro
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
I use a bungee ramp on my bigger planes (you really don't need a ramp, just some PVC rails to rest it on). The planes do not "ramp up" to speed. When you release, there is instant airspeed.

On the smaller planes, like these 50mm and the 64mm Mig-15, I just hold it in my hand and let it go. No fuss - works great. Nominal bungee pull is 5 lbs per lb of plane. I use 6 pounds for the 50 mm EDFs and 7 to 8 for the 64mm. Be sure to hold 1/4 to 1/3 back (up) elevator stick at release and have the fan running at full throttle You can ease off the back stick as soon as the bungee drops off the airplane (about 1 sec after release).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
i was just on tower hobbies site and theres a jet(evader) they sell and they include a bungie cord... I thought a ramp was also needed,but bungie is just staked in ground and plane is pulled back..then just let go....what a sweet launch, and so simple...I think this would solve a lot of launching issues with edf jets...i will see if i can post it here... here's the launch http://youtu.be/ZC1DZvXzHIg
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
thax for that bungie info
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:07 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,746 Posts
Took the Katana out for more media tonight. I think this one definitely has the potential to be one of the fastest stock Sky Angel 50mm airframes. I cannot wait to see it with a Dons Wicked or AEORC setup!

Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Did you put in a thrust tube or just leave the exhaust at 50mm diameter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Took the Katana out for more media tonight. I think this one definitely has the potential to be one of the fastest stock Sky Angel 50mm airframes. I cannot wait to see it with a Dons Wicked or AEORC setup!
]
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Good stuff! There are 3 fans that could make this thing a bullet! Great pix!! And any word on the spar?
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,746 Posts
The one in the photos is bone stock...no thrust tube. Ray, no spar that I can detect. The stock EDF in this one is pretty crusty sounding. I have had some run pretty decent right out of the box, but this one needs a little TLC. But it goes pretty good nonetheless!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,131 Posts
Quote:
The one in the photos is bone stock...no thrust tube. Ray, no spar that I can detect. The stock EDF in this one is pretty crusty sounding. I have had some run pretty decent right out of the box, but this one needs a little TLC. But it goes pretty good nonetheless!
Pretty good is not good enough for me...LOL
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,223 Posts
Just ordered the Katana and Screamer from Hobbyb.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:31 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,746 Posts
Should have a video of the stock Katana done soon

I am sure you will do something special to both of 'em Don!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,739 Posts
Looks top me like Hobbyb is the place most committed to the JPowers Skyangel and Funfighter series, especially, spare airframes and parts.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:32 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Looks really good, I'd love to see some video of it flying!
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:01 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,739 Posts
Stopped by the field yesterday and gave the T-45 a go. I still don't have the hand toss down pat. Tried an underhand toss and rolled her nose first, 10 feet away. Cracked fuse. Minor damage. I think my problem is when I go to the right stick, I'm applying elevator AND aileron(back right). Keep trying until I can do this by myself.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:49 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,746 Posts
That is why I launch them with my left arm. It feels a lot like trying to throw a football with your left hand ... At first. But it let's you keep your right thumb on that all important right stick, for immediate correction or input. Find an elevated spot to launch them if you can. Having a couple extra feet of altitude from the start can sometimes make the difference.
RCG Plus Member