HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:38 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Remind me, when using the hot water method, how do you keep the foam from beading up?

My F-16 is bent out of shape.

-Thanks,

Hawk
Keep the water below boiling, don't leave the parts in the water to long and if it does bubble use the back of a cold spoon to make them go back...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:54 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,738 Posts
I use hot water from coffee pot. Never measured it myself but was told it should be 190*F which is just right for these foams. I've used boiling water from pot on stove on a test piece and you'll definitely get the alligator skin.

I bend foam to desired shape and with 3rd hand, slowly pour hot water on, then maintain holding until it cools down...about 60 seconds. Repeat as necessary.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Thanks for great info Gooniac! I never used exellerator with CA...does it work with permitex and loctite brand super glue...i also have a large tube of Normal CA coming from HK...Any special brand of excellorator is best or r they all basically the same...thanks again
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:58 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
ANOTHER 50mm EDF from Sky Angel ... the Screamer. Glue the twin stabs and the nosecone on and this one is ready to go.

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
I just ordered 50mm F9F sky angel.. I.read a lot of reviews and watched a couple of videos... It seems to be a good choice...i hope this will be a great first edf jet experience...Price was only $75.86 from usa warehouse... i hope i can fly it around 20-30 mph at first untill i can get the feel for it...not used to speed will only 4 months flying trainer type plane thus far...
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:00 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,629 Posts
Dang-it,

The Screamer looks like another winner from Jpowers. Looks familiar too ! I love it when the Chinese copy other Chinese.

Hate2crash- I hear the Panther is pretty tame like the T-45. Even with these little jets, like any edf, going from the trainer world is still a transition. Should not be intimidating though. The pocket rocket Jpowers prop warbirds are much faster.

Have someone else hand launch it for you while you man both sticks. It won't take a hard toss. Straight away - follow through. You have to stay ahead of it. If you have a Sim, try aan edf or two to get the hang of things. Keep it relative close. They can get small in a hurry,especially, when you're new to this. With not much wing area they will tip stall in the turns if you go too slow. Don't ask me how I know. When they tip stall at low altitude, they tend to death spiral. Don't ask me how I know. You don't want to baby it in the turns. Slow down once you establish final.

You'll have a blast with these planes. even though you'll crash em one way or another on occasion. I've gone to prepping them right out of the box with packing tape applied to the nose and o the LE's.before even flyng them .

Enjoy !

Now I have to go ponder buying the Screamer. Shoot !

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; Aug 03, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence Hawk... can y tell me what a SLM is and whats LE's as i'm not all that great with this EDF terminolgy...I read a few reviews on f9f setting the DR and expos at 50% as well as cg ..i have a flysky 9x i should be able to hand launch...If trimmed decent...supposadly she flys straight out and up with no tork roll...at least thats what i read...once i get it high hopefully i will get the feel for it before i crash and be able to do some ovals and trim her out...the key for me is having a properly setup plane in a huge field and believing i wont crash...i have pretty decent reflexes and learning to fly planes is all about muscle memory...if i can get some stick time on her and fly it a few times a week i should get better all the time...i just hope this plane won't kick my butt...i am looking forward to the challenge..
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
H2C, abbreviations not specific to EDFs...

I read slm as sim, maybe Hawks spell check rules his roost!

LE leading edge as forward edge of wing.

I have the T33 which has a decent wing on it and I'm sure the F9 will fly similar as it has a good size wing too. I stayed away from small wing edfs to start with (F4D Skyray and now the 33) to give me a chance with this change of aerodynamics. They take a bit to get to or pick up speed due to the smaller area of airflow compared to a prop. Takeoff with the 33 has proven the heart rate part of my flying with the left roll and ineffective controls at the low speed (prop planes generate their own slipstream especially over elev and rudder unlike the ducted air of the edf) two roll ins on launch, one ok the other at full tilt busted nose and left 1 blade on rotor. Mended and replaced and getting good flights but often the launch is SPECTACULAR! (still)

Launch at about 20-30 degree angle, not too steep, and get up the usual 3 mistakes high and try not to do too harsh maneuvers but let it 'fly', and not too slow on landing.

That Screamer look great, familiar colours... But I'm sure the swept delta will be different again in handling to the other releases.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:01 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence Hawk... can y tell me what a SLM is and whats LE's as i'm not all that great with this EDF terminolgy...I read a few reviews on f9f setting the DR and expos at 50% as well as cg ..i have a flysky 9x i should be able to hand launch...If trimmed decent...supposadly she flys straight out and up with no tork roll...at least thats what i read...once i get it high hopefully i will get the feel for it before i crash and be able to do some ovals and trim her out...the key for me is having a properly setup plane in a huge field and believing i wont crash...i have pretty decent reflexes and learning to fly planes is all about muscle memory...if i can get some stick time on her and fly it a few times a week i should get better all the time...i just hope this plane won't kick my butt...i am looking forward to the challenge..
The CoG in the instructions is 25mm from the point of the bulge at the end of the air intake not the edge of the air intake the difference is only a few mm but it will make it an exciting first flight if you get it wrong, if anything make sure it is here or just a few mm forward otherwise she can be a handfull. The roll rate is blink and you will miss it fast so get the rates set to something like 30% on low to start with to get into it. Make sure you put a couple of blobs of silicon glue on the fan housing to fuselage under the hatch to stop it rotating in the fuselage dont go wild you may need to get it out at some time, check the wires from the motor aren't rubbing on the rotating motor case(ask me how I know that) dont tighten up the hatch too much as it can bend the housing and you end up with blades touching. I have used both 800mah and 1300 mah lipos in mine, with the 800 they need to be as far forward in the nose as possible to tame the CoG, I find it very noisey so you may want to fly somewhere away from houses etc to avoid complaints. Launch wise I hold mine just behind the wing and give it a firm push about 30 degrees nose up and haven't failed yet. your elevators should be lined up perfect with the tail at neutral, you may need to feed in some down trim at the CoG shown but better it climbs than dives into the dirt. Elevator response is very good so be gentle till you get used to it. Once airbourne its not a fast model but its quick enough for some fun, she likes to drop the nose in turns a bit but will roll from horizon to horizon if you can keep up with roll rate......lol. I have flown in 20mph wind but it was uncomfortable she would hover into wind and was gone in a flash downwind, better waiting for a calm say less than 5mph day. Landing is a piece of cake but dont expect to cut the gas and glide forever she needs some power kept on until the last second.

Thats my experience of the F9F hope it helps and good luck with the first flight...from your flying experience I would imagine it will be an exciting and busy 3 mins for you.

Dave

Ps as its a small model it can get away from you quick so keep it close and limit your first flights to 2-3 mins to be safe.
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Last edited by dav3uk; Aug 03, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Thanks to Dave and Dramjet and everyone else...I have 3 1000mah 3s 20c packs for my f9f already for an 800mm corsair i have crashed 4 times during maiden hand launch i will use runway as recomended next time i maiden this one... ON F9F I will make sure ailerons r set at 30% DR and EX and how hard a toss at 30 degree? and should i go full throttle or 3/4 throttle? at the place i fly the grass is very thick so if i take a hard crash damage should not be super bad...Again this at depends of speed and angle of attack(don't ask me how i know)lol thanks
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:24 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
ANOTHER 50mm EDF from Sky Angel ... the Screamer. Glue the twin stabs and the nosecone on and this one is ready to go.
WOW

Wing load is just 26 .. compared to the 55 of the T-45 or 60 of the F-18

This is looking a mega versatile EDF ... fast and floating on the same time

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
H2C,
Best throw you can get.. I go full power but essentially mine is stock with 30 amp ESC due 6 blade replacement fan. I'm sure the upgraded fans installed in others setups will give a better (ie less ) launch.Like the long grass idea.
Good luck.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:53 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
About a month ago I was enjoying my new T33 when during a fly by it spat the EDF blades out the back like a confetti drop. It glided in nicely with no damage. Anyway I replaced the EDF with a Hobbyking 50mm 4800kv Alloy EDF.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22947

I maidened it today expecting a moderate performance boost, but was disappointed with the lack of power. It was a real slug in the air so i returned it to the ground after about a minute. I did have to carve out a little foam to make it fit, but now i'm wondering whether the intake or exhaust are inadequate in their stock form. Has anybody else used one of these alloy EDF's that I've linked, and if so what was the outcome?

Mick

ps- I was running a 3s 1300mah Nanotech Lipo
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Last edited by Bravo47; Aug 04, 2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
WOW

Wing load is just 26 .. compared to the 55 of the T-45 or 60 of the F-18

This is looking a mega versatile EDF ... fast and floating on the same time

Tchuss

e_lm_70
That's good but if air-feed to the EDF is not clean and good -Wing loading means nothing unless you want to slope soar it !
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
About a month ago I was enjoying my new T33 when during a fly by it spat the EDF blades out the back like a confetti drop. It glided in nicely with no damage. Anyway I replaced the EDF with a Hobbyking 50mm 4800kv Alloy EDF.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22947

I maidened it today expecting a moderate performance boost, but was disappointed with the lack of power. It was a real slug in the air so i returned it to the ground after about a minute. I did have to carve out a little foam to make it fit, but now i'm wondering whether the intake or exhaust are inadequate in their stock form. Has anybody else used one of these alloy EDF's that I've linked, and if so what was the outcome?

Mick

ps- I was running a 3s 1300mah Nanotech Lipo
After reading your review and a couple of other on this HK unit it seems a stock replacement makes more sense....Do they sell stock replacements for skyangles or do u have to buy an entire new plane??