HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
792 Posts
forgot to ask, are the connectors on the Sky batteries the correct ones?
skylane42 is online now Find More Posts by skylane42
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
forgot to ask, are the connectors on the Sky batteries the correct ones?
no, you'll have to change them. The kit esc uses small banana plugs, I changed all my connectors to the Deans "T" type.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
The stock power systems use wee bullet connectors ... the smallest I have seen!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Oct 2007
415 Posts
Thanks Gooniac and The Don. I wish I had a little more funds available right now.I would get some if I did. I love ur motors Don!! Recommended to anyone using this thread!!!
handyflyer is offline Find More Posts by handyflyer
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I have those in stock as well and at a lower price :-)

Don
As Don mentions, he is also a source for the stiffer fans (Link to the fan on DonsRC). I recently bought one off of him HERE, and it came with a 6000Kv brushless Inrunner attached to it. I decided to use it in my Sky Angel L39, as the more I fly it, the more I love it and I think it would benefit the most from a little more power. I had to up the ESC from the stock 20A to one that could handle around 30 amps. I also increased the size of the lipo from a Thunder Power G4 Pro Power 45C to a 3S 1250mAh G4 pack. I had to cut a little foam out of the battery area to get this bigger lipo in. The bigger lipo also blocks the tongue of the front of the hatch from sliding into the fuselage. I cut the tongue off and used a couple of magnets to
secure the front of the hatch. The AUW RTF went from 11.7 ounces to 14.3 ounces, the power went from around 175 watts to 325 watts and the watts per pound increased from 239 watts per pound to 365 watts per pound. The CG shifted a little forward but I think it should be flyable where it is, without adding any weight to the tail. Now if the rains will just abate!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
As Don mentions, he is also a source for the stiffer fans (Link to the fan on DonsRC). I recently bought one off of him HERE, and it came with a 6000Kv brushless Inrunner attached to it. I decided to use it in my Sky Angel L39, as the more I fly it, the more I love it and I think it would benefit the most from a little more power. I had to up the ESC from the stock 20A to one that could handle around 30 amps. I also increased the size of the lipo from a Thunder Power G4 Pro Power 45C to a 3S 1250mAh G4 pack. I had to cut a little foam out of the battery area to get this bigger lipo in. The bigger lipo also blocks the tongue of the front of the hatch from sliding into the fuselage. I cut the tongue off and used a couple of magnets to
secure the front of the hatch. The AUW RTF went from 11.7 ounces to 14.3 ounces, the power went from around 175 watts to 325 watts and the watts per pound increased from 239 watts per pound to 365 watts per pound. The CG shifted a little forward but I think it should be flyable where it is, without adding any weight to the tail. Now if the rains will just abate!!
NICE!! I have done a similar hatch mod on an airfield P-47 and it worked great! My L-39 has 418 watts with a 4s 30c 1000mah pack, Himax 50mm fan and it is so much fun!! This is a very light and clean airframe so yours could actually be a little faster since it is a little heavier. I can get it to climb pretty steep at less than half throttle so I rarely use full throttle so the battery last a long time! Can't wait to see how yours flies! Nice to have so many options! I may try the 6blade fan from Don in my A-4 when it comes.... 4s of course!!

Also make sure to shrink the exhaust down to 39mm and you will get even more speed! I used mine with the stock outlet for a while but it flew much better when I made it smaller. And I think a thrust tube would work just as well...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:57 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
Yeah Ray, I need to get a 4S system going in one of mine too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I have those in stock as well and at a lower price :-)

Don
Don, do you have a good Wicked Moror option for this 6 blade fan for 4S ? If so do you have an numbers on it and also do you offer your "mounting and balancing" option with it?

Just trying to check some options until the Wemo Micro Fans are back in stock!

Thanks,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Last edited by jfruge; Dec 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
I have no way to mount a Wicked to a 6 blade fan unit. I did get an email from Wemotec today and will have a dozen or so fans sent in the next day or so, which means I will have some in about a week.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
John, just run the 6 blade fan on 4S using the kit motor and esc for now until Don get's more Wemo's back in stock. It pulls 20 amps and puts out 275 watts.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
RC Nut!
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
John, just run the 6 blade fan on 4S using the kit motor and esc for now until Don get's more Wemo's back in stock. It pulls 20 amps and puts out 275 watts.
Matt, thanks for the info I will give that a try.

Don, I would like to change my preorder from the Wemo 3S Wicked setups to the 4S setups. I will send a PM for your records!

Thanks,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
i just got the F16 today from Venom just like the others with some slight exceptions

it comes with motor ESC servos and a 3s 850 20C battery everything is pre-installed
just glue on the wings and tail surfaces drop in RX and go

it doesn't come with a charger ect and it also doesn't come with landing gear which being a grass field is fine by me

im impressed with the quality of this thing truly i am and am looking forward to the first flights this Saturday "while freezing my butt off!"

anyone with one of these note any bad habits or tendencies i should know about?

Tim
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
So the Venom versions include a lipo?! That is the first I had noticed that. I guess I should have read the fine print a little closer. That makes their pricing more attractive for sure!

Popular opinion is that the F16 is one of the fastest of the lot, so hang on!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
one of my 4 came with that same lipo pack, I think it was the L-39 I got from Banana Hobby. My L-39 also came with landing gear.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
I snagged both of mine (F-86 and F-18) from Banana Hobby. They both included lipo and balance charger. The F-18 also came with landing gear which I opted no to install. Did I mention 59$ each? That was on black friday though. The F-18 is hella fast if you ask me.

Dustin
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie