HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
Just a question. No one talks about the A6. Whats wrong with it?

Thanks
verkair is offline Find More Posts by verkair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:31 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,041 Posts
It's a trickier plane to handlaunch. More like a pitch, as shown in a HobbyKing demo video.

A6 & F8 - HobbyKing Skunkwerks Series (2 min 51 sec)
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
After you figure out the hand launch on the A 6, does it fly well?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:33 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Verk,

Where do you fly? I'm a member of the 114th in Grapevine . Was thinking about maidening the F-16 today

http://www.114thrc.org/

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
I actually live in sherman. So I fly there at the local field. But one of my buddies in keller flies at the grapevine field.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:12 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
So I built my first skyangel jet ever...came in the mail last friday.

My observations...though I have a sick feeling that I may be singled out here.....here we go...

Requires a thin reviever.....im using the DEVO reviever from walkera....and this thing needs to be cut in order to accomondate.

secondly...the two servo delta wing setup is great but when linked up I have issues getting my ailerons to work properly, mainlyb ecause of the angle of attack of the push rods....tried to loosen and or tighten the horn rod rotation and still no promising results, Elevator angle of attack for push rod is ok, so no issues.....somehow i get the feeling this issue is local to me since I dont see others mentioning this issue.

Consequently, I have cut out my own servo slots in the default landing gear cut out....rigged it in such a way similar to the skyangel warbirds...using 9g servos......this line of action resulted in the requirement of one servo revers-er for the one of the elevator servo via y-harness. Aileron setup now has its own y-harness as well ..standard 4 channel config.

And yes, since this will be 4s, and 30 amp esc with only 2amp linear bec....too much current draw to call it "Safe".....a 5A external ubec was also factored in to the equation....

Seems like alot of work for something I might be missing conceptually. I did give a good amount of time to try troubleshooting the stock servo setup before I convinced myself to
plan B

Consequeses.....more time spent than anticipated, lack of ability to do high alfa, additional hardware committed, additional weight...but I will be happy if this thing flies well, as Im sure it will anyhow.

Regards

tengarang
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Last edited by tengarang; Jul 02, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
tengarang,

Which model did you get ?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:53 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
tengarang,

Which model did you get ?
I got myself the F-18

i got the F-16 on the ship on its way as well
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
On the F-18, I had the ailerons linked originally but soon went simple...just a dab of hot glue to hold the aileron in place and just used the elevators in a delta wing config. No crazy roll rate but flies just fine for me.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:04 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
On the F-18, I had the ailerons linked originally but soon went simple...just a dab of hot glue to hold the aileron in place and just used the elevators in a delta wing config. No crazy roll rate but flies just fine for me.
yeah I was tinkering with mine for the longest time, but the stock configuration seems to slip....tried locking down the slippage but then that buys me no surface travel, and seems to put quite a strain on the servo.

If I can get this figured out I will do so stock config on the f-16 kit i get since this will effectively save me 2 servos.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
yeah I was tinkering with mine for the longest time, but the stock configuration seems to slip....tried locking down the slippage but then that buys me no surface travel, and seems to put quite a strain on the servo.

If I can get this figured out I will do so stock config on the f-16 kit i get since this will effectively save me 2 servos.
Part of what makes the F/A-18 so much fun is the linked controls. It takes time to set it up and make it work right but it's totally worth it when you do. Expo goes a long way and cutting the throws when used as ailerons goes a long way too. I used lots of throw but lots of expo as well and it keeps the crazy roll rate in check but allows me to go nuts when I want to. I have had mine for almost 2.5 years now and never get tired of it! You can do things with the F/A-18 that you can't with any of the others...

Although it may be easier to do it does take away from the way that the plane handles.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Im oging to try and search for a video to see if there are guys out there that have put some sort of documentation on setting up the linkedmethod. If at all possible I will try the linked method on the F-16....F-18 already has cutouts for the standard 4 channel config.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Fellow Skyangel Pilot Pat Gagnon( crxmanpat) has a great on line store in case you didn't know. Placed an order for a slim 800mah battery on Sunday and it was shipped on Monday !

Service anyone?

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Im oging to try and search for a video to see if there are guys out there that have put some sort of documentation on setting up the linkedmethod. If at all possible I will try the linked method on the F-16....F-18 already has cutouts for the standard 4 channel config.
It says that you are from San Jose, CA. I fly at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale and you should come out and see us fly them. Sunday's are the best time to come out. There are at least 6 different ones there. And 3 of us regularly fly in formation too...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
It says that you are from San Jose, CA. I fly at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale and you should come out and see us fly them. Sunday's are the best time to come out. There are at least 6 different ones there. And 3 of us regularly fly in formation too...
Weve probably met but masked by username here ive been frequenting the Sunday meets and its solely because of those meets that compelled me to getting these mini jets...awesome

Yeah .... ill get around to that....F-18 is already too late got that configured standard...F-16 ill bring on by.

i seen you guys ... fly em, nice.