Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 AM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
to me, the T-33 is fairly tame, the L-39 is sporty.... both scoot nicely though on 4s. The T-33 feels the largest, and it just might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvinvegas View Post
Don't underestimate the T-33, it is very cool looking in the air and there is something about it. It's a 4S must though. Heck, to tell the truth, I have converted my whole fleet to 4S, F18 and F16 included.. Now I only have to carry around Sky Lipo 4S 1000's
The T33 maybe my fav that I've owned so far. Mine was 3s w/ a wicked wemo 5400kv setup and I loved it. Very fun. I liked my L39 also, really cool bird!

So far I own/owned the following.
T33 - wicked powered (crashed)
L39 - stock powered (crashed)
T45 - wicked powered (in service and a blast)
F9 - 90% built, stocked powered.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Joe and the rest, what is your opinion of the T-33 and L39? How does it compare to the others in the series?

I've flown the AMX, F-16, T-45, Mirage, F-22, F-35, A6 (hate this) and have an F-18 on the way. I do not want to buy another plane that flies to similarly to the ones above. Appreciate your input. Thanks.
The L-39 looks like it would be a handful but it is actually one of my favorite fliers! It has no bad habits! Very smooth stall, quick on 3s and very fast on 4s.The only thing that you have to be careful with is the roll rate. The outboard ailerons make it roll really fast so make sure to keep the throws low and use expo.

The T-33 was one of my faves too but it was a little harder to fly. It will snap out of hard turns and is a little harder to get the hand launch right. But it does fly well on 3s and really well on 4s. Roll rate can be high as well so just make sure to use expo and lower rates with that too.

And just to clarify....I had the Mig-15, T-33 and L-39 for sale at one point. I sold the Mig-15 and T-33. Decided to keep the L-39.....

The L-39 doesn't really fly like any of the others you listed. The only one kinda close is the F-16....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Thanks everyone! I think I still have shipping space for 1 more.
It's a toss up between the Mig-15, F-86 and F9F. What do you think?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
Quote:
This is my opinion..... The F-86 is pretty draggy and slow compared to the other two. In fact, a buddy of mine added a 6000 kV outrunner with a wemo fan in his F-86 and couldn't believe how close my Mig-15 was on 3s to his F-86 with the hotter motor and fan. The Mig is more spirited than the F-86 but suffers from a case of up incidence molded into the design. it can be cured by a simple modification to the vertical stab before it gets glues to the fuse. I do like my Mig. I also like the Panther but it's not the easiest to get a grip on when you hand launch. Both vids below use stock motors on 3s.

The Mig:
JPower Mig-15 Ducted fan jet (5 min 7 sec)

The Panther:
JPower F9F Panther (2 min 41 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
now this has got me thinking....the nanotech 1800's 3s are similarly thin ...do you think theyll fit?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11905

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20429

would you say...given expectancy of slight nose heaviness the 1800mah would fit? Ill put this 6000KV setup wemo wicked on the f-16 kit instead.
Probably doable, but with some work; not practically a drop-in fit like the 1600. If the quoted dimensions are accurate, then you have to deal with that 3mm extra thickness. The floor is too shallow/thin to get it from there, so you have to go up into the battery lid area. And then you have the corner of the battery close to the edge of the foam lid, leaving not much structure. So maybe glass it afterwards.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,184 Posts
Joe,

Great videos. Thanks for the post.
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,628 Posts
Joe, I noticed on your hand launching the Panther , it looked like you hardly had to give it a nudge. I'm still practicing hand launching these little devils on my own. Nice to have an assistant but I want to master this . Have no problem on my profile pusher jets. These are different.

On the T-45,the first few times on my own I managed to perfrm a full gainer right into the ground. It really doesn't take a quarterback to launch these as I found.

Cheers,

Hawk
P.S. Nice vids. Looks like you fly in the neighborhood? Nice neighbors !
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
Quote:
I don't have the F-86 but only because the servo bulge on the bottom looks bad and I don't want to go thru the trouble of modifying the aileron servos. I have the MiG and F9F. As others have said, the F9F is hard to hold for launch but if you get it right, the large exhaust allows it to scoot out nicely when your technique is perfect. I've own the F9F for a year and have less than 10 flights on it if it tell you something. I like the MiG but just hate the extremely tight space for all of the lipo wiring.

Ranking from best to not-best in terms of easiest to launch and fly for the ones I own...

T-45
F-18
MiG
T-33
F-35
F9F

Whatever happened to the Magistar and U-2? I see that new non-scale generic jet but did Jalin decided enough of the scale 50mm series?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,628 Posts
I wish someone would post some pics on how they enlarged the cabin in the F-16 to accomodate a 1000-1300 3 S. Tight quarters as compared to the cavernous T-45.

Thanks,

Hawk
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Joe, I noticed on your hand launching the Panther , it looked like you hardly had to give it a nudge. I'm still practicing hand launching these little devils on my own. Nice to have an assistant but I want to master this . Have no problem on my profile pusher jets. These are different.

On the T-45,the first few times on my own I managed to perfrm a full gainer right into the ground. It really doesn't take a quarterback to launch these as I found.

Cheers,

Hawk
P.S. Nice vids. Looks like you fly in the neighborhood? Nice neighbors !
The panther needs a push forward and that's about it. It flys right out with no drama. just don't toss it at an upward angle or it pitches up.

yeah, I've got some wide open spaces to fly and most of the neighbors are seasonal so right now, the place is empty.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,585 Posts
I just bought one of these on a whim...at ~$70 I figured why not. I have never flown an EDF before and after reading some I was a little worried on my choice...the F9F. Flew for the first time last night and had a little trouble with the launch....took about 3 tries and one was a little ugly, poping the nose into mother earth pretty hard and it cracked the seam...did not look like much glue was in there holding the halfs together. After that I was thinking I may have made a mistake....went out for one last try just before dark lastnight and got it in the air. A little ugly but it was flying. Did two laps and decded the inputs are too much and landed...nice landing. Set the endpoints down and got a better launch.

This morning I was able to trim a little more and it just walked out of my hand in a nice climb out....I just love this little plane, the smile value is just off the chart for the money. The panther does fly nice, slows down not too bad....not crazy slow but nice scale. I fly on a 800 and everythng else stock....flew for 4 min and that was too long....this time I flew for 3, thought about bigger battery but not sure I want the weight.

Now the questions.....

Where else besides HK can you get these little guys, I really want the T33 in airforce colors, the other thing is they have a Crusader and the A4...thoughts on those two.

These are really good little planes...it is going to get a great deal of time in the air with me....gotta go and check the charge on a battery
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Now the questions.....

Where else besides HK can you get these little guys, I really want the T33 in airforce colors, the other thing is they have a Crusader and the A4...thoughts on those two.

These are really good little planes...it is going to get a great deal of time in the air with me....gotta go and check the charge on a battery
Get the A-4. The Crusader has thrust line issues and doesn't fly well out of the box. The A-4 is a rock solid performer.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:08 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,628 Posts
Cherokee,

I bought my T-45 and F-16 from Banana Hobby who quite franky does not have the best reputation in town. On both occassions, much to my amazement, they arrived at the door in excellent condition in 3days. Figured what the heck, $70 ? Added a few other things like batteries and a ubec that I needed and once I had the order up to $100.00 , free shipping kicked in.

Toysonics and Hobbyb(Canada) also have them. Wish I could collect the entire squadron. The only two I've heard to avoid are the Gripen and the Crusader.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,585 Posts
Thanks...I will check BH...I took a chance on one thing from them and had no trouble....thanks for the info on the crusader....I was looking at it pretty hard....I like the older planes.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
75 Posts
F-86 50mm

Finnaly trimed out and easy underhad toss in the air. F-86 stock and flies great. Still waiting for replacement ESC for the Panthter defective out of the box. Only 5 months and it is coming.
Bill PTC
BillPTC is offline Find More Posts by BillPTC