694 Posts
Here's the post-mortem photos
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,003 Posts
It may not be pretty, but looks like it's still flyable. While you are waiting for your new airframe to arrive, I suggest piecing the A4 back together and get a feel for how the plane handles. You tape the nose back together, if you're not up for using glue.

One way to secure the tail to the fuselage is to install it, then apply thin foam-safe CA, allowing the glue to wick into the seam, then apply CA kicker. If you do this along the entire seam on both sides, you will have a very secure bond.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old May 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Not to be rude, but if you didn't notice, part of the nose is GONE. If it was just split, and
the chewing along the wing, I would try it. Anyway, I won't be grounded for long, just waiting for some replacement parts for the F-35 model. And if I really feel the need for airtime, I'll just
bust out my Sensei.
Old May 06, 2012, 02:03 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,003 Posts
The plane doesn't *need* the nose to fly ... heck, I've flown a 70mm F-18 with the cockpit section broken off, just to get some airtime before going home and starting repairs. And from your photos, looks like only the tip is missing. So the plane might be a little slower because of the drag, and you might have to make adjustments to CG changes, but it should be able to get back up in the air.

Just tape the split together so that the fuselage can retain the battery, and the plane should be good to go. But that's just me.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Decided I'm going to order the Blue Angels ARF, and transfer the servos, esc, and reciever.
I'm also hoping that the color scheme change will make it more visable in flight. Now on that
"wicking" tip, do you mean to like caulk around the seams at joins? For example, on the A-4
use it where the tail mounts to the fuselage and where the elevators mount to the
tai? And do I have to use accellerator? I'm using the Great Planes CA.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Decided I'm going to order the Blue Angels ARF, and transfer the servos, esc, and reciever.
If you do that, can I bother you to donate the fan cradle to a worthy cause? (of course I would pay shipping) The last A-4 I ordered came without the fan cradle block, dealing with the Vender was worse than a trip to the dentest.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 07, 2012, 08:45 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
@Valkpilot
When you glue the components together make sure you remove the paint on the joining surfaces first! Use a small strip of coarse sandpaper and really rough it up on both surfaces.

I even poke in a few dozen little holes with a jeweller's screwdriver or toothpick for even better adhesion.

Then you can use a 5 minute epoxy. Mine have never come apart.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old May 07, 2012, 09:00 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,003 Posts
Quote:
I'm also hoping that the color scheme change will make it more visable in flight. Now on that
"wicking" tip, do you mean to like caulk around the seams at joins? For example, on the A-4
use it where the tail mounts to the fuselage and where the elevators mount to the
tai? And do I have to use accellerator? I'm using the Great Planes CA.
When I say wick, I mean capillary action, when a liquid will tend to seep into narrow places without assistance. You'll often read in the directions for thin liquid glues, "press pieces together, apply glue, let seep in, keep pressed together for XXX amount of time".

Capillary Bonding (2 min 54 sec)

You don't have to use a kicker, but it is helpful because it immediately sets the glue so you don't have to wait.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Thank you. Some minor semantics problems, but we're on the same page. And speed isn't
so much the problem. I'll work on/assemble a plane on let's say a Sunday, Set up the reciever on Monday, but not actually fly until the next Sunday, so everything pretty much has
a week to set up.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
If you do that, can I bother you to donate the fan cradle to a worthy cause? (of course I would pay shipping) The last A-4 I ordered came without the fan cradle block, dealing with the Vender was worse than a trip to the dentest.
Not quite sure what part you're talking about. I don't recall a piece like that.
The model I have is a Sky Angel 55 mm. Could you supply a picture?
Old May 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,003 Posts
He probably means the foam piece that is screwed down to cover the duct inside the fuselage. Also sometimes called the "hatch".
Old May 07, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
He probably means the foam piece that is screwed down to cover the duct inside the fuselage. Also sometimes called the "hatch".
If that's what it is, then there's a problem. You see I noticed that during assembly
there wasn't one, so instead of bolting & gluing the main wing on, I just bolted
it in case I had to replace/work on the fan.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Not quite sure what part you're talking about. I don't recall a piece like that.
The model I have is a Sky Angel 55 mm. Could you supply a picture?
If you don't have that piece, then there is a problem. First, the Skyangel is not a 55mm fan, it's a 50mm. The fan sits in the fuse and a foam block (the other half of the cradle) seals up the fan and fuse, then the wing is bolted into place. If you don't have the fan block /cradle in there, you're going to have a turbulence problem as the duct is no longer a sealed unit. Thrust and speed will suffer a noticeable amount. Maybe that's why the difficulty flying?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12595
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 08, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
If you don't have that piece, then there is a problem. First, the Skyangel is not a 55mm fan, it's a 50mm. The fan sits in the fuse and a foam block (the other half of the cradle) seals up the fan and fuse, then the wing is bolted into place. If you don't have the fan block /cradle in there, you're going to have a turbulence problem as the duct is no longer a sealed unit. Thrust and speed will suffer a noticeable amount. Maybe that's why the difficulty flying?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12595
DRAZNIK! Found the karking thing! Yes it was installed. PM me your snail-mail
address. Will be a delay, start the workweek tonight and won't be able to ship
until 14th.
Old May 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Here's the post-mortem photos
My crash was actually worse than that! But it will still go back together....just need to get to it...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33