HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Hi all,

I crashed my F-18 badly yesterday when i lauched it. Broked the fuse in 3 and one wing fell off.

How do you handlaunch your jet, do you apply full throttle or only 3/4 or 1/2 and when airborn then apply full? I do apply full but having hard time controling it.

Thx.
Depends on what set up you have. But if it stock it will be fine launching at full throttle.. If you have an upgraded fan or use 4s then you can launch at half.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Hi all,

I crashed my F-18 badly yesterday when i lauched it. Broked the fuse in 3 and one wing fell off.

How do you handlaunch your jet, do you apply full throttle or only 3/4 or 1/2 and when airborn then apply full? I do apply full but having hard time controling it.

Thx.
F-18 was my first EDF also...and also crashed it badly on my maiden. Click on my username to get to my blog and read the part about how to properly handlaunch planes, especially weaker EDFs.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:06 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
I dived into to EDF with the Red Arrows T-45. Very impressed. I bought it from Banana Hobby for which I was very skeptical. Had never bought anything from them and had heard bad reports. What a pleasant surprise. Arrived in 3 business days, well packaged with no damage. Maidened last week. First launch I over-tossed it and it quickly turned over and smacked the ground nose first. Minor, field repairable damage. Second attempt was much smoother.No issues. Flew great. On the third attempt, had to declare an emergency as one of the alierons starting to detach in flight. Was able to land safely. Will use welders glue to fix.

I'm sold on this series. Want to collect some more like the F9F Panther and T-33. For a speed fix, my Radjet will out run these but it's not always about speed, at least for me.
-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
It's now time for my F-18 to retired. RIP

I have glued the nose back at least 5 times. More CA than foam...LOL

I'll order a new kit as soon as Hobbyking has it back in stock.
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Apr 2010
201 Posts
Thought I'd post on a few of my babies.

T-33 is from a Hobby King kit and with the esc from the 50mm A-6 intruder and the engine is the new hobby king aluminum 4200kv 50mm running a 1300mah zippy 4s.

good flight times and great performace plus the engine sounds like a real jet when i 3/4 throttle.

Mig-15 is the is the RX ready from hobby king with the stock esc and motor is from that same crappy A-6. I'm running a turnigy nano-tech 850mah 4s and it will take off on grass without throwing it. I've had over 30 flights with the above setups and they work great.

Both paint jobs were done by me with either rattle can or air brush. I also made all the decals.

I'm also tossing around the idea of an IAF scheme for my fathers A-4D and maybe picking up the F-16 or F-18. I really want to pick up the 50MM Panther and do a cougar conversion. If i do i'll post a how to on it so you guys can do it too. I think it will be pretty easy.

Razerworkz is offline Find More Posts by Razerworkz
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerworkz View Post
Thought I'd post on a few of my babies.

T-33 is from a Hobby King kit and with the esc from the 50mm A-6 intruder and the engine is the new hobby king aluminum 4200kv 50mm running a 1300mah zippy 4s.

good flight times and great performace plus the engine sounds like a real jet when i 3/4 throttle.

Mig-15 is the is the RX ready from hobby king with the stock esc and motor is from that same crappy A-6. I'm running a turnigy nano-tech 850mah 4s and it will take off on grass without throwing it. I've had over 30 flights with the above setups and they work great.

Both paint jobs were done by me with either rattle can or air brush. I also made all the decals.

I'm also tossing around the idea of an IAF scheme for my fathers A-4D and maybe picking up the F-16 or F-18. I really want to pick up the 50MM Panther and do a cougar conversion. If i do i'll post a how to on it so you guys can do it too. I think it will be pretty easy.
That mig looks awesome!! Good job on the T-33 as well!! And I loved doing the grass take off with my mig when I had it! Much easier than tossing it...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old May 02, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Can anyone recommend a set of landing gear for the planes that don't come
with them? Not good at tossing and flying, and don't want to lug around a catapult.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old May 02, 2012, 10:01 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Can anyone recommend a set of landing gear for the planes that don't come
with them? Not good at tossing and flying, and don't want to lug around a catapult.
Here's a catapult vid with the T-45:
T45 3S First launch on Catapult 18-04-12. (5 min 21 sec)
Old May 05, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Binding help

Got the A-4 and I'm getting the continuos beeping and no throttle problem,
and can't find the fix that's listed on here. Could someone provide a link?
Old May 05, 2012, 09:57 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Went through the exact same thing on the T-45. First, did you try unplugging and replugging two(2) of the 2mm leads from the motor to esc? Can be any 2.

Next, are the leads going from the servos and throttle connected in the correct orientation. Sounds like they are or you would not hear any beeping at all.

Did you try reversing the throttle on your TX? In the end, that's what was occuring for me. I have Futaba and seems like with every plane, I have to reverse the servo settings.

Don't worry, you'll find the right combo. Just take one step at a time.

-Hawk
Old May 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,041 Posts
That makes sense. If the throttle channel is reversed, the ESC would go immediately into program mode, hence the string of beeping sequences.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old May 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
The reverse trick worked, and luckliy I was holding on tight. Thanx folks!
Old May 05, 2012, 06:47 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
The reverse trick worked, and luckliy I was holding on tight. Thanx folks!
Way to go ! It can be frustrating sometimes.

-Hawk
Old May 06, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Well, the first flight didn't go very well. Got her going down the runway, pulled back, and it went straight up, and strait down. I think the rudder/elevator assembly came off.
Guess I didn't use enough epoxy. Looks like somebody took a bite out of the nose, and it's split along the seam. And the wings are a little chewed up. Guess I'll just have to get an ARF
and transfer the systems.

Edit:
Could this have been caused by the plane not being balanced?
Last edited by Valkpilot; May 06, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additionl info
Old May 06, 2012, 11:41 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,041 Posts
PIctures would be helpful, if you can.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud