HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:12 PM
Registered User
JGuilty13's Avatar
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
For those of you in need of spare parts, replacement parts, bare airframes, etc...I am curious and would like some feedback...

WHAT exactly should we carry spare parts wise? We are thinking about stocking some parts for the Sky Angel mini war birds, 50mm EDFs and 35mm EDFs. Airframe only, motors, ESCs, fans and shrouds, etc

What would you folks like to have easy and immediate access to?
Bare airframe for as many as possible (especially Mig-29 ) as well as spare stock fan units and stock fan rotors.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:21 AM
KK6MQJ
Bajora's Avatar
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
We managed to get the Mirage out for the first time today. I removed the Don's Wicked/Wemo out of the T-33 and installed it in the Mirage.

WOW, but does this EDF fly sweet! Hand launch was easy, with Dons combo providing plenty of oomph. Super smooth in the air thanks to Dons balancing job and plenty of punch out when the throttle was pushed to the stop. We were pretty jazzed after getting to fly this twice today before the rains blew in and ended our flying session.

I am going to try to get a full article with more stills over at HDFlyer.com in the next day or so.



Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Germany, BW, Brackenheim
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
A little update and maybe some advice.

Hi guys.

I was out flying my L39 yesterday, when upon trying to fly a half loop into roll, when i managed to stall her. I was at full throttle on entry but not amazing high off the ground, thus the inevitable happened, i couldn't get the airspeed back up into the engine and thus nosed her in.
I have managed to CA her back up and i think she will still be flyable.
So i suppose my question is what do you guys think the limitations are and what are the best upgrade to these jets? I am running stock parts with Turnigy 1000mah 30c batteries. This is my first EDF and in my opinion its fast but not crazy.
jjooeehunt is offline Find More Posts by jjooeehunt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Slaanesh's Avatar
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Simply running the jets on 4S instead of 3S is usally a good upgrade. Balance the rotor and away you go!
The L-39 is a perfect contender for 4S 1000mah battery due to it's weight distribution and ease of achieving CoG.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
ozzi supercub's Avatar
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
I think the Mirage will be the new 50mm speed king
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:44 PM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
We managed to get the Mirage out for the first time today. I removed the Don's Wicked/Wemo out of the T-33 and installed it in the Mirage.

WOW, but does this EDF fly sweet! Hand launch was easy, with Dons combo providing plenty of oomph. Super smooth in the air thanks to Dons balancing job and plenty of punch out when the throttle was pushed to the stop. We were pretty jazzed after getting to fly this twice today before the rains blew in and ended our flying session.

I am going to try to get a full article with more stills over at HDFlyer.com in the next day or so.



Very cool! Were you doing some slow flight in the pix? I can see that the elevons are almost maxed out. Just wondering if it came out nose heavy...and I bet the review you will be having will tell me everything...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjooeehunt View Post
Hi guys.

I was out flying my L39 yesterday, when upon trying to fly a half loop into roll, when i managed to stall her. I was at full throttle on entry but not amazing high off the ground, thus the inevitable happened, i couldn't get the airspeed back up into the engine and thus nosed her in.
I have managed to CA her back up and i think she will still be flyable.
So i suppose my question is what do you guys think the limitations are and what are the best upgrade to these jets? I am running stock parts with Turnigy 1000mah 30c batteries. This is my first EDF and in my opinion its fast but not crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Simply running the jets on 4S instead of 3S is usally a good upgrade. Balance the rotor and away you go!
The L-39 is a perfect contender for 4S 1000mah battery due to it's weight distribution and ease of achieving CoG.
It sounds like you are flying it a little tail heavy. You should move the CG forward just a little bit more because this plane doesn't have a rudder to help you get out of a spin. I fly mine just a tad a head of the recommended CG in the manual and when it stalls it just mushes forward a little and doesn't even drop a wing. Its nice to have the extra power of 4s but I have flown the plane on 3s and 4s. 3s is way more than enough to make this plane fun to fly. I flew mine on 4s and a stock fan and it flew really well but I fly most of the flights at half throttle with full only needed for vertical climbs.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
KK6MQJ
Bajora's Avatar
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
More Mirage 2000 media over at

HDFlyer.com

in the latest article there!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:42 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
munce31's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Excellent. The Mirage appears to fly well!

No news on when its going to be released?
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
More Mirage 2000 media over at

HDFlyer.com

in the latest article there!
The Mirage and the little A-10 look great! I didn't know that the little A-10 had gear! Pretty cool!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Germany, BW, Brackenheim
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
cheers for the advice

Quote:
It sounds like you are flying it a little tail heavy. You should move the CG forward just a little bit more because this plane doesn't have a rudder to help you get out of a spin. I fly mine just a tad a head of the recommended CG in the manual and when it stalls it just mushes forward a little and doesn't even drop a wing. Its nice to have the extra power of 4s but I have flown the plane on 3s and 4s. 3s is way more than enough to make this plane fun to fly. I flew mine on 4s and a stock fan and it flew really well but I fly most of the flights at half throttle with full only needed for vertical climbs.
Sounds like something worth trying with the extra weight in the nose. I have no 4s batteries though. And so will have to use a little ballast or move the battery more forward into the nose.
jjooeehunt is offline Find More Posts by jjooeehunt
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
Finally got some photos of my KMP version of the T-45/Hawk.
I just built the same plane! Looks great and flies great on a 25C 1300. Super easy to launch, probably the easiest EDF I have.
Warbirdfan63 is offline Find More Posts by Warbirdfan63
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjooeehunt View Post
Sounds like something worth trying with the extra weight in the nose. I have no 4s batteries though. And so will have to use a little ballast or move the battery more forward into the nose.
Just moving it forward will do the trick. No need to go up in battery size. I actually was using a 4s 40c 1000mah battery with a small 1/4 oz nose weight in at first. But ended up not needing it when I moved the battery further forward. Here is how it flies with my current CG and on 4s

Skyangel L-39 with LED afterburner effects. (4 min 29 sec)
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:08 AM
KK6MQJ
Bajora's Avatar
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
OK, here is a short video giving an In-Studio, close-up look at the Sky Angel Mirage 2000 and JAS-39 50mm EDFs ... plus, a little on the 35mm A-10 and Mig 29 EDFs and Sea Fury and Skyraider mini war birds as well.

Also ... a little info on the soon to be available "Nano War Birds"

Product Close-up: New Sky Angel 35mm A-10, 50mm Mirage and JAS-39, Sea Fury and Skyraider Mini War Birds

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:51 AM
Registered User
TheLeabres's Avatar
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Just moving it forward will do the trick. No need to go up in battery size. I actually was using a 4s 40c 1000mah battery with a small 1/4 oz nose weight in at first. But ended up not needing it when I moved the battery further forward. Here is how it flies with my current CG and on 4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH09eBFX6SM
good video, thanks. if you put some strands of fiberglass cloth at the exhaust, it'll make the afterburner effect brighter with the shape of a flame coming out too!
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:04 AM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
good video, thanks. if you put some strands of fiberglass cloth at the exhaust, it'll make the afterburner effect brighter with the shape of a flame coming out too!
I agree! But didn't want to slow it down any. I only left it in there for a few days and put it back to normal. Besides the L-39 never had an afterburner to begin with. The F-16 would be a great candidate for one though!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Adelaide & SA flying & chat #2 Zootster Australia 21300 Dec 19, 2014 09:23 PM
Help! Where can I buy Genkem Nova 27 in SA? MegaTesla South Africa 2 May 14, 2011 04:25 PM
Discussion SAL-SA Glider in Gobi dune romanticus Slope 11 Nov 30, 2010 11:40 PM
Question SA 2010-02 Castle ICE 100 "failed cut off" ?? LandCruiser Castle Creations 2 Oct 20, 2010 12:07 AM
T-33 Spring-air minis HW609 Derrek Curtis Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Apr 25, 2001 04:42 PM