HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
does anybody know what the kv on the stock motor is?
I believe this is what you are after Brent?

FoamJunkE was close enough to call it good!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:01 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,724 Posts
thanks guys!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:32 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post
Nice video impailer. Looks like a lot of fun. Which F16 is stock and which one has Don's setup in it?
Thanks - a little blurry, but you get the idea.......The one followed most of the time was 4S (orange nose at the start).
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Looks like a great time! Do you guys have the thrust tubes installed on them?

Don
Huge fun. Will try and get them next to each other a bit more next time! My money is on the Wicked setup lasting longer.......

No tubes Don - I hadn't picked up on the idea here - too many pages......

I am guessing that a tube may result in a burn-out on the stock setup as it is being pushed already? ( I cant believe the spec sheet posted above !!! 16.5A for 20 secs - the 4S f16 is way over that! A little worrying.)

Interested in playing with the idea of tubes though - is there a post here to show how to make them?
Last edited by Impailer; Mar 27, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF Pilot View Post
No, I didn`t measure volts/amps, but I think you should stay with 1000mah to be on the safe side. I`m putting in my don`s 5400/wemo combo in mine

Morten
Are you going 4S on that motor Morten? I'd be interested to hear. I have one of the Wicked 6000kv motors from Don and Wemo fans on 3S in my AMX and it screams. I'd love to know how a 5400/4S performs.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Thanks - a little blurry, but you get the idea.......The one followed most of the time was 4S (orange nose at the start).
So which one was faster?
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiah View Post
So which one was faster?
4S at start, Dons setup took the edge after a min or so. Not measured - only speculating - will do further "testing".

4S has more than 1:1 thrust; 3S Dons/Wemo a little under 1:1 - although JT may be using a heavy 3S pack on his setup.

4S has the benefit of being a little lighter, although the Dons setup had a big pack in it I recall. 4S therefore glides well. Buying a 4S pack is cheaper than buying a Wemo/new motor, so there is another benefit.

Downside of 4S is that it clearly appears the motor/fan/esc are being pushed given the specs set out above. Therefore possibly more expensive long run. I like the comfort of knowing the Dons setup is working within sensible limits.

No clear winner imho. To be fair you asked which is faster, not better - so I'd call it a draw over the length of a 3 min flight.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:03 AM
Norway, Vestfold, Sandefjord
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
Are you going 4S on that motor Morten? I'd be interested to hear. I have one of the Wicked 6000kv motors from Don and Wemo fans on 3S in my AMX and it screams. I'd love to know how a 5400/4S performs.
Yepp, 4s. I have this setup on 4s in the AMX, and it`s very fast. If you search for "kimhey01" on youtube you`ll find som video taken with this setup on 4s in the T-33.

Morten
WF Pilot is offline Find More Posts by WF Pilot
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:27 AM
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF Pilot View Post
Yepp, 4s. I have this setup on 4s in the AMX, and it`s very fast. If you search for "kimhey01" on youtube you`ll find som video taken with this setup on 4s in the T-33.

Morten
OK, thanks - what sort of amp draw are you getting?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:15 AM
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
I`m getting 36amp @ 542watt with 1800 nanotec 4s.

Morten
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
JPower T33 (1 min 13 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,203 Posts
Quote:
Interested in playing with the idea of tubes though - is there a post here to show how to make them?
You should get a nice speed boost on the Wicked wemo combo with the thrust tube as the exhaust diameter is way too big as it comes for the wemo fan.

Here is the tube install:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10

Here is the template:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=20

It will take only a few minutes to do and you can always remove it, but I think you will like the speed increase.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Quote:
4S at start, Dons setup took the edge after a min or so. Not measured - only speculating - will do further "testing".

4S has more than 1:1 thrust; 3S Dons/Wemo a little under 1:1 - although JT may be using a heavy 3S pack on his setup.

4S has the benefit of being a little lighter, although the Dons setup had a big pack in it I recall. 4S therefore glides well. Buying a 4S pack is cheaper than buying a Wemo/new motor, so there is another benefit.

Downside of 4S is that it clearly appears the motor/fan/esc are being pushed given the specs set out above. Therefore possibly more expensive long run. I like the comfort of knowing the Dons setup is working within sensible limits.

No clear winner imho. To be fair you asked which is faster, not better - so I'd call it a draw over the length of a 3 min flight.
Thanks. Has anyone dopplered the speed of either (or both) setups?

I wanted to try out my 4S this morning but the weather is not cooperating...
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,203 Posts
My F16 on the W6000 (with thrust tube) on 3S radar gunned in the 95-100mph range, and a few passes around 103 mph. Now that I have the doppler app I will get some video passes.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,724 Posts
don, what size pipes are you using? 1.4-1.5" ??
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut