HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
.........Personally I happen to like the sound of EDFs, it adds to the excitement for me when flying. I would not want to watch an Indy 500 where the cars were all quiet as they pass by, but that is my preference I guess. The roar is all part of the experience and fun for me.
That's 2 of us then !

Quote:
...... So when I see those high pitch angles near where the rotor meets the hub I keep thinking they are on the wrong path. They look to me more like they are trying to compress the air radially instead of accelerate the air axially. It just seems like any fan with those high pitch angles near the root uses more power. I was first turned off to such rotor design by the Haoye 7 blade 51 and 64mm rotors which have that high root pitch angle. I have the feeling that some of these companies are just copying what the other is doing instead of designing the rotor from the ground up.
I tried the 51 and it gave overall the same as my 6 blader now in speed. Sound was similar ... but amps was up. I think the blade pitch change may be to compensate for the lower speed of rotor nearer the centre ... rpm is same of course but swept distance increases as we move out along the blade. Maybe they are trying to get same air movement near centre as at tip ? That would also answer why amps count is higher (along with 7 blades of course).

I think with proper matching of motor to the 51 - could produce a good unit - but not for speed.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Or doing the grass touch and goes with the Mig..LOL
Well, this is included in the 5-10cm above ground low passes when flying over grass.
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:35 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I do not believe that is the case at all. Pusher props jets are not a new idea, they have existed a long time now. I intentionally choose to fly EDFs because I like them and the challenges associated with EDFs. Not because I am ignorant of the fact a pusher prop can go as fast with less watts or I somehow am simply unwilling to accept new ideas. I simply like EDFs and I like the whole ducted fan concept for model airplanes, so I don't care if a pusher version goes 3000 mph and can fly for 400 hours on a 1S 30 mah lipo. It still is not an EDF

Well put sir. IMO pushers make these edf planes look like cheap toys. Like "little Billy from down the street" flies them.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
Well put sir. IMO pushers make these edf planes look like cheap toys. Like "little Billy from down the street" flies them.

did u read that billy?
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Hahaha....LOL....good one, Chuckles Ok, Edf talk here only, I can dig it.

What other good 800 40c 4c batteries are there besides Sky Lipo? I need to order a few.
--Ray
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
I've been reading china hobby line are good.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Thanks Mike, yeah I have been running their 1300 30c 3s in another plane and like them....but I didn't see anything smaller than a 1000 4s on their site. My F86 is a nice balanced weight with the 800, also fits decently......that plane's battery compartment is tiny...lol.
--Ray
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post

What other good 800 40c 4c batteries are there besides Sky Lipo? I need to order a few.
--Ray
Go up to 4s 40c 1000mah packs if you can. The Sky Lipo are good as are the China Hobby Line. I use both and am starting to lean a little more towards the China Hobby Line even though they are just a tad heavier. The have less voltage sag and come with the deans plugs installed! Plug in and go!
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:46 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
How cool would it be if we all got the opportunity to fly together?
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:01 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
How cool would it be if we all got the opportunity to fly together?
I definately respect your way of thinking my good man

maybe we ought to make it a culture thread soon to come evolution of action item...its strikes home.

all the dedication and followup....must owe it to some form of regression
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Go up to 4s 40c 1000mah packs if you can. The Sky Lipo are good as are the China Hobby Line. I use both and am starting to lean a little more towards the China Hobby Line even though they are just a tad heavier. The have less voltage sag and come with the deans plugs installed! Plug in and go!
Thanks Ray,
I may have to move to the heavier battery since the 800 4s 40's are scarce. Bummer since the 800's balance it perfectly and I don't like the thought of having to add tail ballast......just seems wrong LOL.
Maybe a combination of a higher kv motor and a 3s battery (using the same 6 blade Toysonics rotor) is the key?

--Ray
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
China Hobby batteries have been good for me as well.......I haven't tried anything above the 1300 30c 3s but those were as good a performers as the Sky 1300 40c 3s....call it good.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:15 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post

--Ray
i am not sure on stock, but the nano's from h/k have been equal or better than the sky lipos, a small bit heavier but rated at 850. none of the massive quality problems of the sky lipos either. the 45-90c nanos seem to make a bit less heat than the 40c sky lipos w/ the same use.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:27 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,795 Posts
ive owned sky nanos Volt Gen Ace....zippy

CHNL definitely places her rightful place in superiority IMHO.

Case in point, I did a watt test with a chnl brand 3s 1300mah lipo. Plugged it in the peak charger...says its still full..only after 3 more tries before the meter tells me it needs more charging but not much before it hits full again. voltage sag is virtually eliminated.
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:10 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,089 Posts
10-blade single rotors available

- complete with spinner and 3mm adapter. Just "found" this on RC Castle...

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2367

(not that the alloy shroud is heavy (it's the inrunner in the 3300kV combo) - but maybe useful for some wanting to use some plastic shroud for which an airframe has already been adapted...)
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista