HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Hong Kong, Mike
Oh ok sorry it didn't click when I read it. I'm hoping it'll only take 5-10 days like nitroplanes.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
I am ready to build my l39 ...i read this system is well balanced but does not perform as well as stock motor and fan...They also have a 3s alloy setup which is my first choice http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Version_.html I am looking for more power than stock if possible.... I want to stick with 3s ...thax
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Screamer LG

Anybody rig their Screamer with landing gear? I'm going to use the mains off
of a Nitroplanes Mini X, but I'm debating on wether to use a modified SA nosewheel, or a main off on a PZ UM P-51. Comments please.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
556 Posts
AMX - Tailerons Only?

Picked up an AMX airframe from Hobbyking. Wondering if anyone has tried tailerons only (ie pinned ailerons)?

My experience with the F-18 is that it flies better this way, so interested to hear the views of others.

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:05 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,821 Posts
I tried pinning the ailerons on the F-16 and was disappointed in the roll rate or lack thereof. Not much surface area on the elevon setup. I suppose the F-18 and AMX might be different.
-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:47 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom View Post
How do you get 10+ minutes? I
Well, with a balanced impeller, it has enough thrust to stay in the air even at 30% throttle. In that flight I ran it at around 35% because the battery was too far forward and I had to compensate with too much elevator and it would loose altitude and speed at 30%. I will try this again, but will move the battery a couple mm back to avoind inputting too much elevator and thus creating less draw and increasing flight speed, and hopefully flight time above 11 mins. At 30% throttle the motor draws around 5.5 amps (at least in the static test, it is possible for that number to be a bit lower in the air).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I for sure can be done with some throttle management. It doesn't take much to keep the little bird in the air on 4s. So I am not skeptical at all! I have gotten some 8 min flights on my T-33 and L-39 even with some full throttle blasts on occasion. I am positive that it can be done with no full throttle passes at all...
I've gotten 8 mins 30 secs with some full throttle blasts, but this time I decided to see how long it will go it I just set the throttle in one position and keep it there until the li-po alarm sounded at 3.5 volts per cell, under load. I run 3s li-pos, and I can only assume the 4s will take it down quicker, due to the higher weight.
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:06 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,956 Posts
Hatetocrash: I have the 3s version of that alloy edf HK sells, and in a word: dissappointed. Stock fan is as good, or better on 3s. These are heavier, but look cool. I have one I run on 4s, just to get the f-86 in the air. Pretty lackluster, really. I would maybe get the 4s dr mad thrust one.....----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Hatetocrash: I have the 3s version of that alloy edf HK sells, and in a word: dissappointed. Stock fan is as good, or better on 3s. These are heavier, but look cool. I have one I run on 4s, just to get the f-86 in the air. Pretty lackluster, really. I would maybe get the 4s dr mad thrust one.....----Metalguy
Everybody is talking about the Dr. Mad Thrust edf unit - please someone get it soon and test it, and SHARE the results. I've got a bad itch to order one, but dont want to make the jet heavier unless the unit really delivers the stated specs.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I hear you...so stock fan is the way to go...i wonder if there is a motor from HK that fits stock fan that would be a superior power plant compared to stock motor on 3s...? i don't need a rocket just a setup with a little more punch...Like better power and another 10mph speed... I will be using a 30amp esc so watts need to be around 300 max...i am not sure what stock motor watt draw is on 3s? any help is appreciated...i will be fixing my f9f also so i will need 2 edf systems...thax
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I hear you...so stock fan is the way to go...i wonder if there is a motor from HK that fits stock fan that would be a superior power plant compared to stock motor on 3s...? i don't need a rocket just a setup with a little more punch...Like better power and another 10mph speed... I will be using a 30amp esc so watts need to be around 300 max...i am not sure what stock motor watt draw is on 3s? any help is appreciated...i will be fixing my f9f also so i will need 2 edf systems...thax
The stock motor on my T -45 reaches around 230W at WOT on a 3s.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:19 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
The stock motor on my T -45 reaches around 230W at WOT on a 3s.
you should always say WHAT lipo it is - I assume you are talking about a 40C 1000mA lipo - it will be quite a lot less with a cheapo 850mA 20 or 25C lipo - then it's more like 180W settled on a full lipo. Even better: stating the Volts, not only the Watts. BTW you asked again for the Dr Max Thrust aka Lander aka Cyclone Power 3300kV 10-blade alloy data. I gave them twice, that should do
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Mar 09, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:21 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,059 Posts
Quote:
The Turnigy 4800kv or 5000kv EDF series 2610 .... but you need to cut back the motor mount tube to allow the Turnigy to sit in. The JPowers stock motor is longer in the shaft extension at front.
Second - you swap shafts between the motors to fit stock fan.

Tip : If you do this change - stock LiPo size will not be enough as amps draw whatever route you take will increase .......

The stock motor and above Turnigy's are all 4S capable.

I run the 5000kv in stock shroud but with 6 blade rotor from the $3 EDF from HK. I also use a 1600 4S 35C Compact LiPo ...... about as fast as you'll get on a 'budget' in the T45.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
you should always say WHAT lipo it is - I assume you are talking about a 40C 1000mA lipo - it will be quite a lot less with a cheapo 850mA 20 or 25C lipo - then it's more like 180W settled on a full lipo. Even better: stating the Volts, not only the Watts. BTW you asked again for the Dr Max Thrust aka Lander aka Cyclone Power 3300kV 10-blade alloy data. I gave them twice, that should do
How far back did you give that info? I tried to read from the 100th page, but i just couldn't take it and just moved to the latest.

I am using a Nano tech 1000mAh 3s 45c lipo. Can't really say what the voltage was, but it drew just over 19 amps and the watts were at around 230. I will have to start filming the watt meter tests for later reviewing.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:38 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3516
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:52 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
I really like the CNHL "ChinaHOBBYLINE" batteries I recieved in the mail today. They come with Deans connectors and are nicely packed package..similar to the sky lipos..but with Deans...Lovely
They are some really good packs for me thus far! Just order from the USA warehouse and get them in as little as 3 days! I love not having to swap out the deans plugs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
I just don't like the weight. 1600mah 3s 40c battery for both sky lipo=148g and cnhl=165g. I hope they last longer and pack a bit more punch for 18g more weight. I have been interested in them though.
There is a little more weight but the performance is way better! I am getting much more punch with these batteries even when compared to Gens Ace which were pretty awesome to begin with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
CNHL are offering free shipping and time has been in line with other US vendors. Their WH is in California.
--Ray
So far to date my fastest shipping time has been 2 days from time of ordering. I am only a couple hundred miles from the warehouse so it shows pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
short intake and exhaust have always been the route to big performance, nothing new here. tigershark delta.

so ... 33... show me the big difference between in and out runners other than price? i still say a watts a watt , as long as u aren't making heat. i will give u that an inrunner in a alum housing MAY be able to be able to dissipate more heat, but a outrunner on a standoff ( ala don's ) has proven to match power to weight.

the one factor that u get and pay for in a inrunner is a factory balanced motor, typically.

chuck.
I really don't have an answer to the questions. But in my experience the outrunners with the same size and KV draw higher amps. The RPMS will be similar.

Quote:
I am ready to build my l39 ...i read this system is well balanced but does not perform as well as stock motor and fan...They also have a 3s alloy setup which is my first choice http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Version_.html I am looking for more power than stock if possible.... I want to stick with 3s ...thax
Out of all the 50mm jets that I have had the L-39, t-45, F-16 and Katana fly really well on stock 3s set ups. You really don't need to upgrade the power on any of them as they are since the seem to be perfectly matched to the fans that come with it.If you want to great 3s set up the Himax is a good upgrade and can use the same size battery as stock. The only downside is that it is $60. Don's Wicked set ups are good as well but you need bigger batteries to match. Fly the L-39 stock and see how you like it. You may not need to change at all. It flies really well with stock set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff View Post
Picked up an AMX airframe from Hobbyking. Wondering if anyone has tried tailerons only (ie pinned ailerons)?

My experience with the F-18 is that it flies better this way, so interested to hear the views of others.

Jacques
The AMX is a different beast! No where near what the F-18 does. The AMX will do great with the tail moving only and the main wing pinned. I opted not to but the surfaces on the wing barely moved at all. The tail was doing all of the work for the most part.
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33