Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:44 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
THose numbers look great Ray!

I got my screamer last night, and the fan came in today. Threw her together decided to use

5000KV setup 38Amps at 370 watts on 3s 1800mah 35C. Levels out to 36Amps at 340Watts.

4100KV motor I mentioned earlier starts out with 21Amps at 240watts..then levels out to something lower.

Now I have not optimized the timing of the esc to low timing due to the 6 magnets of the 5000KV so I may get alittle more out of it once I complete the programming.

Also the switching frequency is unknown, may step it up to 16Khz and see if that will squeeze a bit more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m90-ducted-2010-5000.html

THough your experiment makes me wanna try my 4100KV on 4s 1300mah batteries...hmm something to think about...

Im going to hypothesize that the AEO fans have more pitch compared to these cyclone 10 blades..seems like youre getting more power out of those AEO...but at the expense of current draw and 5mm more overall diameter

Since Now I know this fan can take 5000KV on 3s giving ~55000RPM
Ill probably take the risk and run her up on 4100KV 4s ~ 60000RPM

Judgement day. 4100KV on the 10blade fan on 1300mah 40C 4s has resulted in 26 amps @ 304 watts. eventuall levels out to 289watts at some lower current.

ESC timing has not been calibrated...only had 1 hour to work on the screamer today.

The decision has been made to utilize the 5000KV motor from hobbypartz on 3s 1800mah to achieve max power and fully utilize the ESC's capability. The wasted energy will be remedied via thrust tube to improve the efficiency.

Getting the 10 blade fan to fit requires a bit of dremel work to fit in such that the magnets touch...FYI
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:33 AM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post

The Katana flies great in stock form! Super stable and reasonably quick. I am not sure if anyone has used the 6000kv wicked wemo set up in it yet but it would be a good match for it! It has a large exhaust so the thrust tube is a good idea if you want to get some decent speed out of it.
I will be ordering the 6000/wemo setup this week but will maiden on 3s with the stock setup. Bit of a speed junkie these days so I am sure the wicked setup will be welcomed Any recommendation on battery size? I have read quite a few things but from what I see, its personal preference.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:28 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,972 Posts
I use a 3S 1800 with the Wicked 6000/wemo combo.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:04 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Ok so here is what I have done so far. I went and look back at when I first set up my AMX with the AEO fan....And it was over 2 years ago!! So I guess that even after the recent meltdown I can't complain. I got way more than I had expected out of it. My A-4 has been running that same fan for almost a year now with no issues either so I took that fan out to try some other set ups and got busy getting this 55mm AEO with 4750kv motor into the Screamer. I am using a 40amp Dynam Detrum ESC and an AEO 5v 5amp UBEC. It is ready to go in and the ESC area was widened in the plane to fit it in there. It is still in the airstream so it will stay nice and cool. When I get home today the servos and ESC will go in. Battery will be either the Gens Ace 3s 25c 1550mah pack or the China Hobby Line 3s 40c 1600mah battery.Take a look at what I have done so far...

here is the broken housing from the AMX and the new trimmed one for the Screamer

I had to trim down the lip on the fan to get it to fit. It took a while but came out good!

It is really simple to assemble! I did have to remove the intake to get into the ESC and fan area though... You can see the foam covered grinder wheel.

Lots of sanding/grinding to get the fit that I needed.

Fits perfect now! Just a little bit more to go..
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Last edited by gooniac33; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:39 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Judgement day. 4100KV on the 10blade fan on 1300mah 40C 4s has resulted in 26 amps @ 304 watts. eventuall levels out to 289watts at some lower current.

ESC timing has not been calibrated...only had 1 hour to work on the screamer today.

The decision has been made to utilize the 5000KV motor from hobbypartz on 3s 1800mah to achieve max power and fully utilize the ESC's capability. The wasted energy will be remedied via thrust tube to improve the efficiency.

Getting the 10 blade fan to fit requires a bit of dremel work to fit in such that the magnets touch...FYI
So my stock 10 blade 3300 on 4s is going to be an underpowered dog?

That's bad news on the fit. Did you grind the fan housing, foam or both?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
On the Screamer, the panels under the body that you can remove are glued in with a very weak glue. What should I use to glue those back on so that they will be fairly easy to remove later if needed?

Also, just want to mention that the decals are barely attached. Almost a static cling fit. No residue left behind.

Anyone think some carbon across the wings is needed?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:18 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
On the Screamer, the panels under the body that you can remove are glued in with a very weak glue. What should I use to glue those back on so that they will be fairly easy to remove later if needed?

Also, just want to mention that the decals are barely attached. Almost a static cling fit. No residue left behind.

I will let you know what I come up with. I am going to most likely use CA on every spot that is coming up. I have seen this plane flying with the wicked wemo 6000kv motor on 4s and none of them have had carbon anywhere. No need... its strong foam just need to make sure that it is glued where it needs to be...
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,405 Posts
Quote:

I would use UHU creativ glue for the underside panel. It's a contact adhesive that retains a decent amount of flexibility yet holds strong. It CAN be peeled apart with enough force so it's perfect for use with componants that you want to be able to disassemble.

Decals can be hit an miss. About 1/3 of the Skyangel jets that I have came with that decal condition while the rest were fine. It's a roll of the dice as to what you get.

I've been flying the heck out of mine, the wings are pretty darned sturdy for most uses. The only time I would say carbon fiber might be needed is if you go to a pusher prop with a heavy motor, 3300 mAh lipo and a on quest for light speed.... then I could see adding a little reinforcement. Short of that, you should be fine.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:32 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,504 Posts
Quote:
So my stock 10 blade 3300 on 4s is going to be an underpowered dog?

That's bad news on the fit. Did you grind the fan housing, foam or both?
well...under powered may not be the case for you because your running a different motor with...although the current draw may be the same but the power output might be better...which is my hope with the inrunner . My hope is the difference between the outrunner and inrunner is HUGE...since I have invested in one on its way to me now as well

I just grind he foam housing...not the fan but the foam

to me 300watt range would be acceptable minimum limit, anything below will need to be dealt with
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
well...under powered may not be the case for you because your running a different motor with...although the current draw may be the same but the power output might be better...which is my hope with the inrunner . My hope is the difference between the outrunner and inrunner is HUGE...since I have invested in one on its way to me now as well

to me 300watt range would be acceptable minimum limit, anything below will need to be dealt with
Don't forget that thrust and watts are 2 different things. Just because the watts and amps are low doesn't mean that the thrust is too! Perfect example is my A-4 with the AEO 6 blade and larger 4300kv outrunner. On 3s it is under 300watts but the thrust feels much more than that! An efficient motor won't draw a lot but still give good thrust....
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:48 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Don't forget that thrust and watts are 2 different things. Just because the watts and amps are low doesn't mean that the thrust is too! Perfect example is my A-4 with the AEO 6 blade and larger 4300kv outrunner. On 3s it is under 300watts but the thrust feels much more than that! An efficient motor won't draw a lot but still give good thrust....
that is a good point, thanks for pointing that out .... size of the fan increases, power decreases with same result.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:43 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.
Just hoping the fan fitment isn't too challenging.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:46 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,214 Posts
Quote:

The tests on my 10blade with a 4000kv outrunner on a good 4S battery where very good - in excess of 670gr of thrust for around 30amps. Only problem is the battery needs to be good - 45c at least.

My main problem is that there is a significant (20-25%) drop in static thrust when the fan is fitted in the airframe.

I, too hope that the inrunner will be a better performer.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:56 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
The tests on my 10blade with a 4000kv outrunner on a good 4S battery where very good - in excess of 670gr of thrust for around 30amps. Only problem is the battery needs to be good - 45c at least.

My main problem is that there is a significant (20-25%) drop in static thrust when the fan is fitted in the airframe.

I, too hope that the inrunner will be a better performer.
Are you using a thrust tube? If not then that could be part of the problem...
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,405 Posts
In a way, EDFs are the same as props. Blade number, diameter and pitch all play a part in the watts. You might have lots of watts and the plane can still underperform.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320