HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
hi can you tell me the dimensions of your outrunner that you are using? Also it has a 3mm shaft right?
hi, it's this one...

http://www.r2hobbies.com/turborix-rc...ess-motor.html
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:58 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
check out the selection of motors at HK - best suited would be the 2610 or, for higher power, the 2615 series of EDF motors: smaller diameter (26mm instead of 28mm), and many different kV values to choose from.
moderate power 3s: 2610 3600kV
high power, 4s: 2615 3000kV
for example (for smaller lipos, for big lipos you can go with the 2615 3400kV on 4s, but your battery must
be up to it, otherwise you get a setup like anlucas which is effectively limited by the lipo, and will draw a
lot more if the lipo is up to it (and eat smaller lipos)...
- for "reasonable" power on 4s, I think that the 3300kV inrunner combo (which should soon be available at HK)
would be a very attractive and efficient setup. The outrunners with standoff are not much lighter (or even heavier)
than the Lander inrunner - which is slim and not obstructing the airflow...
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:13 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I 've joined the 50mm bandwagon with the AMX and F-16.

I have setup the fans (Cyclone Power 10 Blade) last night and finished the AMX for a weekend maiden.

Here's a short video of a test run on the 10blade fan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjM2JqhRzhI

These 10Blade fans sound great but they need strong batteries.

I can run either 3S or 4S but the small 850/1000mah are not up to the task.
For around 20Amps I get about 350gr thrust.

A somewhat heavier 1500mah battery allows the fan/motor to produce thrust in excess of 400gr.

I have seen some of you guys run up to 1800mah batteries.
What's the consensus on all up weight? Should I go with the bigger batteries or stick to smaller ones?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Interesting test. I heard that blowing down on the sales will not give you a true reading of static thrust. Also putting it into the airframe will rob some more thrust.
If you get a chance please test again once you have it mounted in the airframe with nose pushing down on the scales.

Thanks
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:39 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
Interesting test. I heard that blowing down on the sales will not give you a true reading of static thrust. Also putting it into the airframe will rob some more thrust.
If you get a chance please test again once you have it mounted in the airframe with nose pushing down on the scales.

Thanks
True, only useful for getting a ballpark number and for comparison purposes on the same fan using different batteries etc.. From comparisons with measurements from a proper thrust stand using larger fans though the differences are in the area of +-10%.

Will be running the nose on the scale test later on in the day....
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Anyone fit a landing gear set to their T45 or F18? After today I'm really done with hand launching. Trying to launch in a south wind is ridiculous. I basically can't cause that's where the pilots are and it's just a pain in the a$$. So I've decided to find a set of landing gear hopefully that'll allow me to take off from the run way and stop the gymnastics show at the field.I seen the set Nigel put on his but my plane is already too nose heavy and I really don't want a steerable nose wheel adding to it. So has anyone used a fixed not steerable landing gear that works with those jets?
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
So has anyone used a fixed not steerable landing gear that works with those jets?
Yep. Click the link to my blog and scroll down though the videos until you find the T-45. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544314

It works, the challenge is to get it aligned and rolling straight.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Yep. Click the link to my blog and scroll down though the videos until you find the T-45. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544314

It works, the challenge is to get it aligned and rolling straight.
Where did you get the landing gear from? or did yours come with your plane? I know hobby king doesnt include the landing gear with their kits. Of course thats where I got my plane from.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:52 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,680 Posts
The F18 (and F16, T45, L39) should come with 3 plastic landing gears. I had spares but I just used them up on my recent build.

They do tear off in rough landings easily... so you trade a nicer take off for potential landing damage.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
The F18 (and F16, T45, L39) should come with 3 plastic landing gears. I had spares but I just used them up on my recent build.

They do tear off in rough landings easily... so you trade a nicer take off for potential landing damage.
No I never got anything like that when I bought the PNP version of the T45. Then when I bought the bare airframe version I didn't receive them either.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Where did you get the landing gear from? or did yours come with your plane? I know hobby king doesnt include the landing gear with their kits. Of course thats where I got my plane from.
Banana Hobby kits have them... you also get a bonus of warped wings too!

HobbyB painted airframe kits should have them too. Their kits were fully complete (the ones I got).

Landing gear in my EDFs have been the major source of pain. Don't cheap out when you move up - by Eflites or better...
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,059 Posts
Quote:
No I never got anything like that when I bought the PNP version of the T45. Then when I bought the bare airframe version I didn't receive them either.
Depends on Seller .......... Hobby King for example do not include the landing gear.

TBH - most people wouldn't use wheels I reckon.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
I just want to be able to take off from the run way. I've had enough with hand launching. I understand that I can't put retracts on a 50mm edf jet so ill deal with the gear down. Does bananahobby or hobbyb sell the landing gear separate?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,023 Posts
I just ordered a set of gear for my wicked powered T45 yesterday. $6. Belly landings are taking its toll. I may do a rudder mod to it as well.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Well good thing today I got my two used edf units. One is a stock motor with a 6 blade fan and the other is a stock edf unit and fan with a 5800kv motor. I changed the fans in my T45 and when I put it at full throttle even with my 1600mah battery it almost hovered. I think with a 800mah it would hover for sure. Great set up with a hobbyking 50amp esc. I hope the f18 is near this with the 5800kv motor.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,059 Posts
Quote:
I just want to be able to take off from the run way. I've had enough with hand launching. I understand that I can't put retracts on a 50mm edf jet so ill deal with the gear down. Does bananahobby or hobbyb sell the landing gear separate?
I bought the $6 Stinger landing gear from Hobby King ... includes nose wheel servo as well !
It has plug-in legs - so you can remove whenever you want to go hand launching etc.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife