HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,594 Posts
There are a few posts related to this and the Mirage ... which most refer to the poor CoG of the model. I know a guy on Wattflyer had terrible time with the Gripen ... videos uploaded etc.

Not knocking USA - but I do wish a few more colour schemes / models were available that were not USA based ... especially since such as the T45 have derived from the Bae Hawk etc.

I remember back in 1980's .... Kfir, Mig 15's ... were some of the leading models .. in fact I used to go to Displays at RAF fields in UK where JHH and others from USA would mix with UK pioneers such as the Normans ..... and of course guys like me starting out in DF ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
There a lots o non-US planes I'd like to see, like the MiG-21, SAAB Viggen, the Blackburn Buccaneer, or a 50mm de Havilland Vampire. Jus as much I'd like to see a Chance-Voight
Cutlass, RA-5 Vigilante, or even a 50mm F-104. And I don't really like having squadron names or carriers that the plane served on either, but you either take what you can get,
or you change it yourself.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:57 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
I've posted this as a thread and got zero responses, so i'll try again here... i have several of these jets and like them. i just bought a JAS-39 Gripen in this series to get away from the typical "american" military jets and to diversify my fleet. After searching the forums it has become apparent that not many pilots fly this jet. I've heard it's nose heavy, but that's about the extent of the info I've found. Does anyone know of a link or thread that has more info on this jet? It surprises mr that nobody seems very interested in this state of the art jet. Any response would be appreciated!
use the search this thread function, there is quite some information and video links, but scattered.
I have mine ready for maiden, with a 850mA 3s lipo all the way back and some foam carved out to get it 5mm further back I am at the recommended CG.
Should fly like the Swedish guy's Gripen, that is, not bad (I posted the video link a while back). But still loads of reflex needed. Might try to get CG further back than the 88mm as per manual.
But maiden will have to wait, it's winter over here...
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
use the search this thread function, there is quite some information and video links, but scattered.
I have mine ready for maiden, with a 850mA 3s lipo all the way back and some foam carved out to get it 5mm further back I am at the recommended CG.
Should fly like the Swedish guy's Gripen, that is, not bad (I posted the video link a while back). But still loads of reflex needed. Might try to get CG further back than the 88mm as per manual.
But maiden will have to wait, it's winter over here...
cheers
Clemens
Balance her out level, but when in the air climb on full power only! I lost mine
because I had her at half and on an inbound lap it was getting too close to the trees, so I hit the throttle and pulled back on the stick and it went rolling out of
control into the woods. I think it was that and the fact I was using Anylink on
my DX6i and a Tactic RX. This is where I fly at:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
881 Posts
Ouch! sorry to see your airframe got burned, but thanks for posting, that is excellent advice about UBECs. I have been flying without them but have ordered 2 especially because my F35 will now be drawing 21 amps, near the limit of its esc.
I went for these after reading some recommendations on rcg.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/parkbec6v

Maybe a separate rx battery is even better, but I dont want to add the extra weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Well here is the main reason why I always use a UBEC in these little birds... My AMX threw the motor, was able to land just fine but the ESC fried as a result of the shorted motor. Had it not been for the UBEC I would have had to fish the plane out of the water.... The airframe is a total loss but at least it didn't crash into anyone or the water... Receiver and battery are just fine....

green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,094 Posts
single cell lipos work just fine for the RX & servos

I wouldn't go for UBECs, I find it a lot easier to just use 120mA or 200mA single cell lipos. Never had a problem, at least not with the ORANGE RX, and the servos are fast enough (I do this on the slope mainly).
HK sells single cells which sport a plug which you can put in the binding port of the RX, e.g.
but each his own (and since I fly stock or 6-blade on 3s, the stock ESC and BEC are just fine)
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Flew my T45 today 1st time since last crash and repair in January.

Did the same again tilted to the left managed to correct it and pulled up was very close to the deck so I landed it no damage. Got my buddy to chuck it then and again was droppin the left wing. Only thing can think off was the gusts of crosswind that made it do that. It wasn't really windy but gusts were noticeable and was changing directions all the time so even when launching into the wind was ok then it would tilt as the wind changed. Other than that was perfect had few batteries with it
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,642 Posts
Flew my (warped due to UPS crushing it) Katana with 10 blade Lander fan yesterday. Sweet silence! Had ducting issues (crack) so the 2nd, 3rd launches ended badly - which is so common with these jets. Decide against fixing it because the warped surfaces cause it to behave oddly.

10bl fan went into a L39 that somebody donated to me yesterday (my luck!). I had to trim foam to fit a 4s 850mah in then added landing gear.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:36 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I wouldn't go for UBECs, I find it a lot easier to just use 120mA or 200mA single cell lipos. Never had a problem, at least not with the ORANGE RX, and the servos are fast enough (I do this on the slope mainly).
HK sells single cells which sport a plug which you can put in the binding port of the RX, e.g.
but each his own (and since I fly stock or 6-blade on 3s, the stock ESC and BEC are just fine)
That is a great idea too. I am too scared to try it with a Spektrum rx and 4 servos (although they draw very little current when stalled).
Maybe my other option is a 120mah ~ 160mah 2s battery and a couple of diodes.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
All my UBECs are connected to same battery leads as the ESC ----- same as most other people.

Motor shorts the ESC ... ESC goes POOF - shorts out LiPo ... instant surge on leads ... POOF goes anything connected to them.

As I say - when it comes to shorts - who knows the permutations of results you can have !!

Edge ..... I'm still in Singapore trying to finish up job and get home !!

Nigel
I understand what you mean...but I always connect my UBEC's at the deans connector. In my experience the leads do burn at the ESC and maybe a little down line as well. it's rare for them to just fall off at the deans connector. The only place that it was still connected was on the deans plug and I used a very strong heatshrink that has glue inside of it as well. It kept everything in place. Now had I done it the other way with the wires connected some where down line then it would have been a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
I've posted this as a thread and got zero responses, so i'll try again here... i have several of these jets and like them. i just bought a JAS-39 Gripen in this series to get away from the typical "american" military jets and to diversify my fleet. After searching the forums it has become apparent that not many pilots fly this jet. I've heard it's nose heavy, but that's about the extent of the info I've found. Does anyone know of a link or thread that has more info on this jet? It surprises mr that nobody seems very interested in this state of the art jet. Any response would be appreciated!
You need to search and you will find what you want. There are a ton of responses regarding that jet. But truth is that it needs a lot of reflex and doesn't fly all that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post

Did the same again tilted to the left managed to correct it and pulled up was very close to the deck so I landed it no damage. Got my buddy to chuck it then and again was droppin the left wing. Only thing can think off was the gusts of crosswind that made it do that. It wasn't really windy but gusts were noticeable and was changing directions all the time so even when launching into the wind was ok then it would tilt as the wind changed. Other than that was perfect had few batteries with it
How are you throwing it? Because if you are throwing it there is your problem. It is not a throw. It's a push. If you throw it will spin to the left or right depending on what hand you use. And yes there is torque involved with these little jets as well (I have videos that prove this). 3s is ok for a full throttle launch but you need not launch at full throttle if you have a 4s set up. Here is how I launch my T-45 and my Katana... Notice that I don't grip the plane like a ball but more like a shot put. And that when the plane leaves my hand it is perfectly level with no twisting either way...

gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,594 Posts
Quote:
I understand what you mean...but I always connect my UBEC's at the deans connector.....
That's where I connect as well ... but when the LiPo went PHUT ! so did the rest !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:

I haven't had that problem, but then again I take-off from the ground. One of the benefits of having a paved runway.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:

I have the same problem happen to me when I hand launch my T45. I've found it's caused by a south crosswind. (can't throw into it cause then I would be throwing it at the spectator tents) or I throw it too hard or just wrong into the wind. It'll scare the heck outta yea when it happens. I found its better to give it a slight toss into the wind like your tossing a dart. Good luck with the T45.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,466 Posts
Well..... some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. I flew the T-45 yesterday with the wicked 6000 / wemo on 4s 2200 40C. Parts of the flight were simply stellar. Other parts were..... well..... I revert back to my first sentence. It sure was wicked fast for a T-45, but I can tell there are a few issues. The airframe drag is pretty high. It goes pretty much the same speed regardless whether going up or down. I was having a blast until I pulled up on the elevator a little too quickly, I hadn't tamed down the throws due to the added speed and I literally blasted the wings right off due to pulling too hard out of a dive. A sudden sneeze and that little convulsion had caused me to jerk my hand just a bit. It was kinda peaceful watching major parts of both wings fluttering in the breeze while the fuse turns into a possessed dentist's drill bent on a journey to the center of the earth. The resulting debris field was spread out over several hundred feet with one fairly good sized crater. LOL. I was able to recover everything except the lipo, that one now looks like an accordion and is done. The motor and fan are remarkably untouched and work, as does the esc and receiver. Servo wires are a bit mangled so I have to do some splicing to see if they still work. One has to love the way EPO spreads out the load on impacts though. Suffice to say, if I decide to do that again there will be a carbon spar in the wing. I think I would rather put this combo in the Screamer. It's more slick in terms of drag. No pics or video of the carnage, it was a lonely walk of shame to the destruction zone.

RIP T-45. LOL..... Time to dig out a backup airframe. Probably going back to stock fan on 4s.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:44 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
I have the same problem happen to me when I hand launch my T45. I've found it's caused by a south crosswind. (can't throw into it cause then I would be throwing it at the spectator tents) or I throw it too hard or just wrong into the wind. It'll scare the heck outta yea when it happens. I found its better to give it a slight toss into the wind like your tossing a dart. Good luck with the T45.
Yeah I'm not throwing it too hard I know it only needs a little push and on 4s I'm throwing around half throttle, two out of four flights was ok straight as a dart as it should be, can only be the wind as once I fought to get it straight it flew perfect as it should

Will see how the nxt few throws go and maybe wait till vertically no wind so I know for sure that its not me, which I'm certain it isn't as I've flew this a good few times before this and never had that problem.

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors