HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Ok folks, need some input. I'm debating on wether to get the SA F9F or to try the Starmax
64mm version. The price difference is $10 before S&H, and I've had the 64 version before,
unsucessfully. About the only plus currently is that the Starmax has a steerable nose and won't require modification for LG.
I can well imagine the Starmax to require no mods (unlike the Sky Angel F9F) and be a great flyer etc.
However if possible I usually try to get an EPO model, I still do crash my planes once in a while. If you've already had a Starmax 64mm you know what I am talking about. If it had been EPO, you'd still be flying it.
There's a really nice EPO 64mm F9F which I also own, the Freewing Panther, and I just read in the thread that it's currently only 85$ or so at motion rc, here's the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309643
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:23 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I can well imagine the Starmax to require no mods (unlike the Sky Angel F9F) and be a great flyer etc.
However if possible I usually try to get an EPO model, I still do crash my planes once in a while. If you've already had a Starmax 64mm you know what I am talking about. If it had been EPO, you'd still be flying it.
There's a really nice EPO 64mm F9F which I also own, the Freewing Panther, and I just read in the thread that it's currently only 85$ or so at motion rc, here's the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309643
the starmax is epo, none left in eps though they were the best, imo, either way a far better airframe than the freewing, i have them both . the ducting on the freewing is some of the worst . major cheaters needed on the bottom and draggy as well. i like mine but only for the woosh i get from the cheaters w/ a very quiet fan. other than the nice paint scheme it does nothing as well as the starmax.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:24 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
FMS also makes a 64mm panther. been flying that one for years.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
514 Posts
Has anyone moded the F-86 so the wing is removable like the T-33? Please post a link if any exist. TIA
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
757 Posts
Thanks for the input. As far as the foam differntial is concerned it didn't matter. Seared the nose off with an irregular break and smash. And the Freewing would require the LG mod that the 50mm would, plus the color scheme looks too much like one that's been gutted and turned into a handeling trainer. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the servo wires
having an exterior connection at the wing join. I think that might have been the root of my problems(yes I went there).
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
Has anyone moded the F-86 so the wing is removable like the T-33? Please post a link if any exist. TIA
I don't know of a mod, but the Art Tech 35mm has the wing attached with magnets.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Wrench66 4th post down wing mod
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...58665&page=744
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:29 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
903 Posts
I think I know part of the reason the F22 loses about 10% thrust compared to better ducted JPower airframes. The ducting after the fan opens out to much more than 50mm diameter. Here is a picture with a paper tube of 50mm diameter just to show how much the foam ducting opens up compared to what it should be.

I will try to insert some depron to narrow it down to something closer to 50mm.

green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,189 Posts
Well here is the main reason why I always use a UBEC in these little birds... My AMX threw the motor, was able to land just fine but the ESC fried as a result of the shorted motor. Had it not been for the UBEC I would have had to fish the plane out of the water.... The airframe is a total loss but at least it didn't crash into anyone or the water... Receiver and battery are just fine....

gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
My latest sabre has 5800kv with 8 blade fans and 30a Esc using 1300 3s. Havnt a clue how it flys yet have done some mods but just a little windy for my liking to chuck it..................
I bet the 8 blader is a lot less pitch than the standard 5 blader. I know my Turnigy 5000kv is amps hungry and there are better motors out there ... but a 30A ESC would not last long with it ... I seem to recall my set-up is average 28A .. with a max WOT of 35A ... on 3S. Second I have stopped running low capacity packs - keeping those for pusher models ... The amps draw on EDF's needs all the help ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:33 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Well here is the main reason why I always use a UBEC in these little birds... My AMX threw the motor, was able to land just fine but the ESC fried as a result of the shorted motor. Had it not been for the UBEC I would have had to fish the plane out of the water.... The airframe is a total loss but at least it didn't crash into anyone or the water... Receiver and battery are just fine.....................
OUCH !!

OK ... I'm now going to throw a curved ball .... I have had a UBEC go down when motor shorted. The motor then zapped the ESC which caused the LiPo to fail ...

Trouble is "shorts" are unpredictable for effects ... the only thing you can say with any certainty - is they are bad !!

Nigel
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
OUCH !!

OK ... I'm now going to throw a curved ball .... I have had a UBEC go down when motor shorted. The motor then zapped the ESC which caused the LiPo to fail ...

Trouble is "shorts" are unpredictable for effects ... the only thing you can say with any certainty - is they are bad !!

Nigel
How on earth did that happen? The UBEC is a separate circuit not even connected to the motor.The heat from the fire melted all of my wires leading to the motor, battery and UBEC after it was on the ground. But it was still working after the motor went dead... by the way you can see my edge in the background...LOL It flew great today!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
Thanks. Just what I was looking for
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
How on earth did that happen? The UBEC is a separate circuit not even connected to the motor.The heat from the fire melted all of my wires leading to the motor, battery and UBEC after it was on the ground. But it was still working after the motor went dead... by the way you can see my edge in the background...LOL It flew great today!!
All my UBECs are connected to same battery leads as the ESC ----- same as most other people.

Motor shorts the ESC ... ESC goes POOF - shorts out LiPo ... instant surge on leads ... POOF goes anything connected to them.

As I say - when it comes to shorts - who knows the permutations of results you can have !!

Edge ..... I'm still in Singapore trying to finish up job and get home !!

Nigel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:09 AM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
I've posted this as a thread and got zero responses, so i'll try again here... i have several of these jets and like them. i just bought a JAS-39 Gripen in this series to get away from the typical "american" military jets and to diversify my fleet. After searching the forums it has become apparent that not many pilots fly this jet. I've heard it's nose heavy, but that's about the extent of the info I've found. Does anyone know of a link or thread that has more info on this jet? It surprises mr that nobody seems very interested in this state of the art jet. Any response would be appreciated!
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9