HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
432 Posts
I'm surprised that the hot-water police haven't said anything about the bent wings...

I've given up on buying any more Skyangel planes. I like planes that fly straight. Straight due to true parts, proper incidence and ducting exhaust angles.

You can boil those brand new bent parts you want, but I'm fed up.
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I'm surprised that the hot-water police haven't said anything about the bent wings...

I've given up on buying any more Skyangel planes. I like planes that fly straight. Straight due to true parts, proper incidence and ducting exhaust angles.

You can boil those brand new bent parts you want, but I'm fed up.
ya , i somewhat agree, for me it's a shame that some are great airframes that get ruined by being warped . i have 3 that are in some stage of trying to get them straight enough to warrant finishing them.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,449 Posts
10-blade Lander (Cyclone from RC Castle) is definitely wooshier than the weed wacker 5-blade Lander (from HobbyKing). Sticking it into a F86 raw frame.

I hit a tree in 20+ mph winds with my 4s Screamer. Only damage? One fin became unglued. SkyAngel QC problems galore except with the Screamer. 20+ flights, tons of abuse, nothing warped.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
432 Posts
User abuse has nothing to do with the warps. The parts come warped new out of the box.
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:42 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,913 Posts
I imagine the warps to form when the paint dries faster on one side (forced - with hot air to save time?) than on the other
it's not the wrapping, that is pretty well thought out
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
User abuse has nothing to do with the warps. The parts come warped new out of the box.
I understand, but certain jets are prone to warping due to packaging, design, etc.

Screamer is a solid chunk of foam. OTOH my Katana is warped to heck due to the thin wing/stab design. My Mig15 arrived warped all over (fuse, wings, tail).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I quit mentioning how well pusher props work in the EDF forums, people poo poo the idea. The truth is pusher props are far more efficient. Just gotta watch out for that prop on hand launches.
All True. But if you're going to go that far, then why not just put the prop on the nose? Even more efficient - and better balanced. (And 5 fingers come back every time.)
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
All True. But if you're going to go that far, then why not just put the prop on the nose? Even more efficient - and better balanced. (And 5 fingers come back every time.)
I'm pretty sure people make them pushers after nosing in their jets
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
Pushers are very efficient and can look cool too. But I still love the EDF's. Especially now that there are the 8-12 blade fans out there. Instead of that whine and zing you get the whooshy turbine sound. Much cooler!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Looks like my wings on my A6 are straightening up had weight in them over 24 hrs now. Will start to build tomorrow hopefully, will start with fan and esc and fit rx

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Pushers are very efficient and can look cool too. But I still love the EDF's. Especially now that there are the 8-12 blade fans out there. Instead of that whine and zing you get the whooshy turbine sound. Much cooler!
LikeName: thumbsup.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 3.7 KB
Description:
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,014 Posts
I find it kinda amusing that the guys who have the most experience with these jets are open minded about them as pushers. A couple of other posters are making assumptions and incorrect posts in regards to the facts. No offense to those posters but if I may I'd like to clear up those Facts.
#1 A motor and prop on the nose is not gonna balance the Gripen better. I chose it for this because it was extremely nose heavy as a EDF . I also extended the landing gear wires and added a rudder so that it R O Gs and I dont have to hand launch it. People have been hand launching pusher Strykers , Rad Jets, and all of the Shumate park jets and it is not that risky if you know how to do it.

#2 No my plane has never" been nosed in". A hand launch went bad but that was little damage.

#3 My Gripen is the 4th Sky Angel jet I personally know of to be converted to pusher.
about 5 pages back a poster posted a video of a pusher Mirage ( it's another one that ends up nose heavy) It was very fast and flown very well. One of my club mates did the F-16 with a hi Kv heli motor and it ripped close to 100mph. Another of my club mates has done the F-86 as a medium powered cruise around sport plane .
So try to keep an open mind and ask details rather than showing your ignorance with incorrect statements. You just might learn something. O K
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Hi Al, have you tried putting in a funfighter motor on them? I'd love to see a video of one in action.

My mirage is running 3S with an AXN motor, and it's kind of slow.. It flies great and is faster than the stock EDF, but I'm just itching for more speed.
btw, I looked up to 10 pages back and couldn't find the mirage video that you mention. I did a search for "mirage" and the last pusher video that I found was mine back in September. Is there another video that I missed?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,014 Posts
Today I flew it some more. I now have the timer set at 8min. and the nice thing about long er flights is there is more time to experiment with the flight envelope. A couple of cool new moves showed up today.
In a verticle up line I went for a tail slide chopping the throttle, just at apogee I changed my mind and poured on throttle this caused a torque roll you wouldn't of believed. It spun like a top probably 3 or 4 revolutions a second till it picked up speed. On another up line I left the sticks at neutral as air speed fell off to zero. It went over the top to inverted and started a slow inverted very flat spin. My 1st thought was OOPS. I went to full down elevator , nothing, double OOPS. I kicked in the motor off we went flying again.
About the only negative to it as a pusher I've seen( besides it not being COOL) is the large intake openings are acting like an air brake . I went with a 4s battery just for the heck of it and it only increased speed a tiny bit. The air brakes are resticting terminal speed. The other thing it does I think , Is as the air in the fuse gets compressed a bubble of air escapes out the intake 1st one side then the other causing a small oscillating wing rock kinda bobble .
I'm closing up the inlets with streamlined covers. This will ruin the top and bottom profile view but I wanna see if it changes anything.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,014 Posts
No it was yours I was talking about. Yeah I have a unused fun fighter motor and have considered it.