HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,551 Posts
Oh I forgot one step. The foam nose was painted with one coat of Craft Smart " Sealer"from Micheals and lightly sanded with 320 . It says it " Improves acrylic paint adhesion" on non porous surfaces. But it really filled in the pores in the foam nicely.. Where I didnt use it the finish looked like aligator skin and had to be lightly sanded after painting.
Chuck
Unusuall you had to add nose weight to your T 45 . Both of mine had 2 -7 gram weights on the tail to balance with a 1000ma 4s battery
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:30 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Oh I forgot one step. The foam nose was painted with one coat of Craft Smart " Sealer"from Micheals and lightly sanded with 320 . It says it " Improves acrylic paint adhesion" on non porous surfaces. But it really filled in the pores in the foam nicely.. Where I didnt use it the finish looked like aligator skin and had to be lightly sanded after painting.
Chuck
Unusuall you had to add nose weight to your T 45 . Both of mine had 2 -7 gram weights on the tail to balance with a 1000ma 4s battery

I'm using the stock battery. Everyone's out of 900 - 1100 MAH packs. This thing would really balloon under power before.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm using the stock battery. Everyone's out of 900 - 1100 MAH packs. This thing would really balloon under power before.

Chuck
Do you mean the 850s? Here's the one I use and it's in-stock:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a05-battery.html
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,551 Posts
All my work paid off. A -4 down vectored thrust vane worked a treat. And Gripen as a pusher was a real thrill.
I had to adjust thrust line for a little nose up cuz 1st attempt it went nose down when adding throttle after take off. A little glue work after the slight crash and a little more reflex and 1300ma battery a little more forward and it flew nice. And landed with out too much difficultly. It gave 5 and a half min flight time,
Last flight I went to a newer 1600ma 3s 40c battery and it really woke up , with zooming fly bys, and unlimited rolling verticles. But landing was made more difficult with the higher wing loading.Throttle control, angle of attack ,sink rate , glide slope and landing speed were all very criticle. It took me 3 go arounds befor I had it all together and landed it successfully.. On one go around I sank too fast, bounced off the nose gear and ended up 6 ft up in a high alpha stall crapping my pants I hit the gas and with the quick response of a hi Kv E motor, on a 6x4 efishcent prop I climbed straight up outta danger Flight time on that flight with the 3 go arounds was about 8 min. Lets see you do that with an EDF Pics in a bit
Last edited by alpea 41; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

Chuck
Both 50mm T45's I have ... were both nose heavy with anything but the stock battery. With stock - it balanced correct.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:47 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,601 Posts
It balanced at the recommended setting, and ballooned horribly at first. I think it may be a thrust issue. There's a lot of + incidence. I'm using the stock 850 MAh pack.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,551 Posts
Some entertaining videos. My 14yr old son is at times a P I T A flying buddie. He dislikes videoing and so amuses himself with it. I try to tell him not to make me look bad but it seems today I didn't need his help He does load all the equipment and planes tho so that beats your average F B
You guys know how experimental projects can go. You gotta test and modify before it becomes perfect.
So here's flight 4 on the Gripen where all went perfect untill time to land.
There is one full throttle pass towards the end
20130210 0416 (1 min 11 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,551 Posts
Here's the 1st and 2nd try where things weren't so perfect.
One thing I learned quickly. On a pusher jet with landing gear and a positive incidence canard hold a little down elevator until V 1 is reached then release the down and it will RoG all by itself without striking the prop on the ground
20130210 0414 (3 min 23 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,551 Posts
And here I launch the A -4 , he flys , then we switch and without being completely checked out on my new down thrust mod. I try to fly slow and close for better picture taking. Well I screw the pooch at the end on this flight in a steep banked turn at slow speed to bring it at us . I stall it and although I go to "Military Power" to save the ship the time delay between throttle up and go is too great and luckily she finds a tumbleweed and wasn't damaged
Nobodies perfect

20130210 0415 (1 min 45 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
My A6 arrived today and gotta say what a strange looking bird.

Straight away I noticed the wings. Bent AGAIN what is it with these ? That's 3 out if 4 that has bent wings and these look to be the worst

All out of 2mm cf rod, that'll help keep them straight when I get some. So looks like a bit of tinkering with this one to get it air worthy, aswell as swap esc and blades for a 4s setup like my others

Also how small it seems compared to the others.

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,642 Posts
Yeah warping is pretty common with these birds. Screamer and Katana were the only ones not warped. Screamer is a chunk of stiff foam shipped in a foam shell unlike the usual tape + cardboard for the others.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Not good that really, I mean I know they're only cheap birds but come on sort it out..

I've currently got the wings bridged across a gap with some weight on them, will leave overnight then sort em out tomorrow gimme summat do while weather is pooo.

Rod
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,642 Posts
Underpowered at 3s (stock) + warping = death. Can't believe they haven't fixed the incidence issue on the Mig15 (all that extra nose weight makes it a fat slow bird at 3s).

I just received my 2 RC Lander 10-blade units... I may stick one in into a F86 or replace the 5-blade Lander on the Screamer.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:15 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
881 Posts
they need to start selling unpainted airframes. I think this warping happens during their painting process. All the airframes I have that were unpainted had no warping.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
they need to start selling unpainted airframes. I think this warping happens during their painting process. All the airframes I have that were unpainted had no warping.
Hmm that explains y I said 3 of 4 have warped the only one that hasn't is the t45 because that isn't painted

Rod