SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Are there any spares available for these? Think I need a new fan cover for this sabre

Re seated the fan so it was straight and when the glue was dry I put the cover on and fits as it should, however the gap at the top now has practically gone but that's made the gap bigger at the bottom once the cover is on so I think this mite be a problem.

Fan put in same position but level

Can see a gap on the left there too. Don't really want to fly it just incase this could cause a problem it mite be ok but if its not it could end in disaster. Looks like a new cover would sort it if there are any available.

Cheers

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
So is it true that the changesun 10 blade edf unit is more powerful then dons set up?
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:07 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
I think that it will be fine. So long as it is straight and there aren't any major gaps. Try it out and see. You can tell if there are gonna be problems just by running it up on the ground. Should have plenty of power though!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:07 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
So is it true that the changesun 10 blade edf unit is more powerful then dons set up?
The 10 blade 50mm? Just because there are more watts doesn't mean that there will be more power....Don's stuff is pretty good! Not many match up to his....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I think that it will be fine. So long as it is straight and there aren't any major gaps. Try it out and see. You can tell if there are gonna be problems just by running it up on the ground. Should have plenty of power though!
Think ill tape up the cover too can sort of see through a bit. It had power from what I remember I havnt powered it up again since, just the servos to install then wings and ill give it a chuck.

Rod
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
800 Posts
It looks like the intake lip has been cutoff the fan housing.
It should still fly ok though with that gap around the housing.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
The 10 blade 50mm? Just because there are more watts doesn't mean that there will be more power....Don's stuff is pretty good! Not many match up to his....
I was just wondering cause I'm looking for the best set up or upgrade for my t45 and it's between his and the changesun. I would like to get the max amount of speed I can. I only wish dons had the same sound as the 10 blade.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,116 Posts
quote: I only wish dons had the same sound as the 10 blade.

yep , u pay for the sound in the hi blade count in efficiency.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
I don't know chuck according to paradise hobby the changesun is putting out 399watts compared to dons 375. I just did the math and even if I lost some due to the airframe I think i would still get about the same if not more and the sound.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
It looks like the intake lip has been cutoff the fan housing.
It should still fly ok though with that gap around the housing.
Well it did look quite rough and there wasn't a lip so looks like that's been done

Rod
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:43 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
I don't know chuck according to paradise hobby the changesun is putting out 399watts compared to dons 375. I just did the math and even if I lost some due to the airframe I think i would still get about the same if not more and the sound.
so if i have a 500 watt fan is that better yet? it's about what u get out of the watts in that matters.

so once again, generally speaking, the hi blade count fans will not give u the thrust/ efflux speed that the lower blade count will for the same watts in.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:50 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,068 Posts
Comparison by pure watts can be misleading. Typically what I have seen posted with the high blade count fans (in the 50-70mm size) is higher watts for equal speed or less speed for equal watts. The sound of a Wemotec 50mm does not really bother me, so the whoosh sound of the 10 blade fans really does not do anything for me personally. However, if for equal watts you get the same speed and the whoosh sound is an added bonus then I may try one out. So someone please post a video of a Skyangel Screamer with one of these new 10 blades fans at about 370-400 watts going 100 mph flat and level with no tailwind then I will believe the 10 blade fans are just as good as lower blade fans.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:37 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
The maiden of my A-6 went great! After trimming, it was easy to fly and much more stable than I thought it was going to be. I set the timer for 3 minutes, but I could probably fly longer. I had trouble judging how fast the landing speed should be. I didn't want to stall so it came in a little fast and it flipped over in the soft grass with no damage at all.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:40 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
........Re seated the fan so it was straight and when the glue was dry I put the cover on and fits as it should, however the gap at the top now has practically gone but that's made the gap bigger at the bottom once the cover is on so I think this mite be a problem. ........Cheers

Rod
My solution would be to use card or thin depron to seat the EDF unit in and close up the gap ... sanding of the edge to smooth transition.
If the EDF unit is a good fit .. ie a tight friction fit - then I've found that glue is not necessary. My high-power unit in my T45 has no glue whatsoever .. it never moves.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:53 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
so if i have a 500 watt fan is that better yet? it's about what u get out of the watts in that matters.

so once again, generally speaking, the hi blade count fans will not give u the thrust/ efflux speed that the lower blade count will for the same watts in.

chuck.
Simply put Watts does not = speed.

For example : take a motor and put a propellor on it. You get xxx watts and xx speed / thrust.

Take same motor and put a heavy flat plate beam on it ... you get xxx watts and zero speed / thrust.

As I understand from what I read - the high blade count fans use a finer pitch and rely on the number of blades to get the air volume moved. This in turn gives the reduction in sound.
Look at high performance speed EDF's and you see a small number of blades often 3 .. but serious pitch. So high speed but poor acceleration.

I would put my 6 blade T45 up against any other and reckon I would match or beat in speed ... the only set-up I reckon I'd have trouble matching is Don's own gear ! He's got far more knowledge about this than I ever will.
My problem is power demand ... my 1600 4S at WOT gives me under 3 mins so careful use of throttle is needed to get decent run-times. But at 140kph - I reckon I'm pushing the max limit the T45 50mm can get to and I get a real thrill out of it.

I have had a higher reading - 160kph, but discounted it as another model was flying at the time and could have affected the doppler.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife