Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:54 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! The solution was to put the throttle trim all the way down when binding. Now all I have to do is fix the slightly warped wing. Is heating the foam up with a hairdryer and bending it into shape the best way?
What I did with my sabre bent wing was bridged it over a gap on the kitchen work tops and put weight on it and left it for a good 24hrs and that worked for me although its not completely straight it u can't hardly tell only I can because I know whereas before you could clearly see the bend. I meant to do the vertical stab too before I glued it but I forgot.

I stay away with any heating appliance just incase, before you know it you could have a melted Wing instead. I dunked mine in hot water for about ten seconds before putting the weight on
Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
6000kv for 3s and the 4800kv for 4s. I have seen those combos fly and they flew really well! Way more than enough power. Just be careful with up elevator on launch.
Thanks all. BTW, the T-33 has plenty of nose room like the T-45. And I won't be hand launching. Will modify the airframe for the stock SA
LG.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Last edited by Valkpilot; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:25 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
is this the fan? EDF Ducted Fan Unit 6 Blade 2.17inch
any QC problems?
Cetainly is ... bog standard HK unit ... Hoiye (can never spell it !)

You can do same to stock unit as well ...

But you need to change shaft to the 3mm threaded - use the stock shaft - and ream the rotor to fit.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:37 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Well I did it this way cause I don't have any servo extensions. I probably wouldn't mind putting servos at the back since I'm using a 1600mah 3s 40c battery with no weight added to the back and I know she's nose heavy cause I have 6 clicks of down trim on my elevators. If you do put dual servos at the rear post it on here with pictures and then when I get some extensions I'll move my servos back.
This is on my Lanyu ... but is similar to what I would do on the 50mm ... but 50mm in fact has MORE depth of foam along side of fin so servo could sit above stab and rod to a top mounted elevator horn ....

Here is the Lanyu 64mm with my mod :

The Lanyu uses the same stock system of long thin rods from front to back ... not something I'm fond of ...

Nigel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:42 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
mopetista, solentlife - thanks for your input.

I had thought it was maybe a loose connection.
On my bird, the esc is attached to the fan by two wires, the red one is totally not connected, it terminates before even reaching the fan - but is present.
There is a yellow and black wire attaching the ESC to the fan motor.

Ill check for loose connections tonight. Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,
Nath.
No wonder !! Brushless motors are 3-phase and need ALL 3 wires connected. What happens when only two are - is jittery pulsing as the motor doesn't have power to all coils ...

Nigel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! The solution was to put the throttle trim all the way down when binding. Now all I have to do is fix the slightly warped wing. Is heating the foam up with a hairdryer and bending it into shape the best way?
Good ... glad to hear that's sorted.

OK - wing .... careful use of hairdryer while bending wing more than straight ... that is bend it PAST straight and then ease of as it cools.

I have a Workmate - one of those work-tables that top is like a long vice. With wings and fuselages - I put them in with wedges and then play a hot-air blower over it while winding the handles to twist the structure. I then leave it to cool.

You have to be careful not to overheat or you get over-expansion of the air in the foam stucture causing the crocodile skin effect.

Note also that the original bend will slowly return over time ...

Nigel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:54 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
758 Posts
Thanks Nigel,

I didnt know that! The red wire will need to be extended and thread through above the fan to reach the motor, looks like Im pulling the EDF out this weekend then!

Such a pain in the butt, I had gone ahead and glued the wing on already...

Is there an easy way to weaken the glue that holds the fan unit in place?

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
Ok so finally got the glued fan cover off so I can straighten the esc wires they look bunched up. I noticed the fan position looks tilted slightly will this affect it in any way along with the gap on the outer edge around the fan where too much foam was cut ?......
Cheers

Rod
Get that edf unit straightened level ... a small offset will rob thrust and speed .. I know - I made the mistake on my first T45 when I changed the fan unit to the 51mm. I didn't notice the slight 'tilt'... later I noticed when strange sounds came from there - opened up ... straightened it up, cured the sound - was a loose bit of foam !! I'm sure there was a definite improvement.

Too much foam cut ? Make sure entry into and exit out of fan is SMOOOOOOTH ... with no sudden lip.

It only needs small things to rob us of precious thrust ...

Nigel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions to my jpower rotor problem? I have to make this one last another 3 weeks until I get paid again so I can either get the lander 6blade rotor, 50mm 10 blade edf unit, or the micro wemotec 4800kv 4s set up.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:50 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,979 Posts
I watched a very experienced EDF builder , flyer some of you know him,( Bob Vincent ) balance a rotor (50mm ) by marking one blade then sanding it a little then running the motor and fan while holding it in his hand to see if the vibration and the noise was reduced or increased . If the vibration was increased he then sanded a little off the opposite side of the rotor. And so on and so forth untill it ran fairly quietly . It was primitive but it worked.
Be carefull not to squeeze the housing too tightly and only add throttle slowly and partially. An out of balance fan usually makes more noise at partial throttle settings than full throttle ..
Give it a try
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:01 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
I watched a very experienced EDF builder , flyer some of you know him,( Bob Vincent ) balance a rotor (50mm ) by marking one blade then sanding it a little then running the motor and fan while holding it in his hand to see if the vibration and the noise was reduced or increased . If the vibration was increased he then sanded a little off the opposite side of the rotor. And so on and so forth untill it ran fairly quietly . It was primitive but it worked.
Be carefull not to squeeze the housing too tightly and only add throttle slowly and partially. An out of balance fan usually makes more noise at partial throttle settings than full throttle ..
Give it a try
work at it long enough and when the blades are all sanded off it will be smooth
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:39 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,979 Posts
Thanks I needed a laugh
Really it only took him about 15 min. and 3 or 4 tries and the fan was way quieter and dynamicly balanced using that method. Or spend the bucks and get the $500. laser dynamic precision machine. What do you use? Mr. Smarty pants.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,004 Posts
bubble gum and duct tape!!
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:05 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,996 Posts
I have seen this done too. It took about 5 mins the way that I have seen done. Cut out a whole bunch of 5mm squares of electrical tape, draw a line on the fan and then place the tape on a spot. Hold it in your hand and barely run it up. Move the tape 90 degrees at a time. When it feels better add more tape to that spot until it gets better. once its perfect then mark that spot and move the tape to the inside of the rotor. Dynamically balanced fans actually sounded worse that this method...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:18 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Give it a try
My stock JPower EDF fan rotor shattered while holding in hand.. I was NOT
squeezing or holding hard to deform it - but within a few sec's of starting - next I knew was shards of plastic on the ground and my hand with lacerations - luckily none deep. I consider myself very lucky that nothing hit my face or eyes ...

And before anyone says it - this was stock motor / fan ... not my 5000kv mod.

Take care ........... those shrouds are not designed for such treatment.

Nigel