HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
807 Posts
Is your throttle channel reversed? Maybe the esc thinks you have full throttle applied.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I finished building the A-6 and I"m having a major problem with getting everything powered up. The AR400 receiver is bound, but when I plug in the battery, all I get is slow beeping from the esc. No servo movement or anything, only a twitch when they receive power. At first I thought the receiver wasn't bound correctly, but after five tries I don't know what's wrong. I haven't seen this happen with any other plane, but hopefully it's a simple problem.
Turn on the transmitter and move the throttle to full. Hook up the battery to the plane. The esc should start beeping. Reduce the trottle stick to zero and the beeping should stop. That's the procedure to set throttle range. At this point you should be good to go.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:25 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Turn on the transmitter and move the throttle to full. Hook up the battery to the plane. The esc should start beeping. Reduce the trottle stick to zero and the beeping should stop. That's the procedure to set throttle range. At this point you should be good to go.
You mite also have to move your throttle trim to lowest position, I had similar problem with a turnigy 25a esc that was in a plane when I bought it, that worked then once I done that!

Rod
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:48 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
You mite also have to move your throttle trim to lowest position, I had similar problem with a turnigy 25a esc that was in a plane when I bought it, that worked then once I done that!

Rod
This is common with Turnigy and Red Brick ESC's ... that the Trim has to be pushed all way down to do FIRST range setting. So Trim all way down, stick full throttle, then power up Rx / ESC. Once ESC gives beep, stick back to idle ... Switch off both Tx and Rx ... Should be set now.
Once that is done - switch all back on again ... the trim can be put back to middle.

It comes from a Tx throttle trim being set-up for wet-fuel engines. Trim has a lot of effect at idle stick position ... giving you possibility to have good idle tick-over but also when pulling trim all way back - stops the motor by closing of the carb butterfly. The trim having no effect at full throttle as there is no reason to have trim then.

But one comment ... usually the throttle range setting only affects power to motor - arming .. most times I will still be able to operate servos even though the throttle is not set. The OP indicates that he has nothing but beeps, no servo movement either. The servos receive power via passthrough from the Rx lead ... and radio command is to Rx not ESC. So I would expect OP to have some movement of servos ....

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
T-33

What would be the recommended Wicked set-up for the T-33? Don't want a Mach buster, just a little more UMMPH in case I run into the problem of getting too near treetop like the last one I had.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:00 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,021 Posts
stock fans clock method balancing

I tried Chuck's method with a plastic washer (which gives a bit and allows for a range of possible rotor positions on the shaft while still be tight enough) in vain because I didn't have a suitable one (and didn't succeed in making a suitable one out of a thicker washer which worked the way I wanted).
Anyway, there is another possibility: Add a second nut on top to "counter" the nut which is fixed in the rotor, and you can dial in any rotor position.
Only drawback: the lower washers are now a bit loose - didn't notice any noise from there though. Makes a lot of difference if you can actually choose the rotor position to minimize vibration (of course you do that after doing your best at balancing motor alone (how much it vibrates when you spool it up) and the rotor statically (needs quite a lot of sanding and weight!)...
PS: I do have Bob's Balancer now but so far I do not succeed in many cases, since many experts use it successfully it must be my faulty operation. Hope to get the hang of it... Problems are manyfold: getting a slow enough smooth rotation of the motor (even with an empty 2s), getting consistent strobe signals etc.
Could be that the crappy bearings make it difficult in case of my latest 50mm fan...
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
On the subject of the beeping ESC problem. I know if my Rx is bonded to my Tx then the ESC just beeps and of course there's no servo movement. So I would make sure or just bind the Rx to the Tx again just in case. After that turn your Tx on and move the throttle up to full throttle and plug in your battery. After it beeps bring it back down to idle. If it still doesn't work then try another ESC. You might just have a bad one.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
What would be the recommended Wicked set-up for the T-33? Don't want a Mach buster, just a little more UMMPH in case I run into the problem of getting too near treetop like the last one I had.
6000kv for 3s and the 4800kv for 4s. I have seen those combos fly and they flew really well! Way more than enough power. Just be careful with up elevator on launch.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
6000kv for 3s and the 4800kv for 4s. I have seen those combos fly and they flew really well! Way more than enough power. Just be careful with up elevator on launch.
and dont forget a big enough battery to support the motor/fan package. will a 1800/3's even fit in the 33?

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:33 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
and dont forget a big enough battery to support the motor/fan package. will a 1800/3's even fit in the 33?

chuck.
I could fit in a 4s 20c 1800mah pack. yes it will fit just fine. Don used a 3s 1800 in there...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Ok so finally got the glued fan cover off so I can straighten the esc wires they look bunched up. I noticed the fan position looks tilted slightly will this affect it in any way along with the gap on the outer edge around the fan where too much foam was cut ?

Cheers

Rod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:01 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,057 Posts
It may a little. But not all that much. Is there a way to move it just a little bit?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Ok so I got my top flite prop balancer in the mail today but the balancing rod is too big. I also went to my local hobby store and tried a 3mm prop balancer and that didn't work either anyone have any ideas on what they used that fit the small 50mm jpower rotors? I'd like it to be usable with my balancer I just got but if not oh we'll I just want to be balanced.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Yeah I've broke the seal of the apoxy to get to the esc wires to straighten them up a little so I can re-position it now. I take it it should be flat ish then? And the gap around the fan housing , is that a problem?

Rod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions! The solution was to put the throttle trim all the way down when binding. Now all I have to do is fix the slightly warped wing. Is heating the foam up with a hairdryer and bending it into shape the best way?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby