HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:43 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,763 Posts
Got a chance to fly in 20mph winds today...LOL These things are a blast!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Flew today with the original habu with my T45 in formation. It was kinda hard though cause my top speed was almost too slow for him to control his plane.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
So after flying today, my t45 was acting funny while flying so I quit early and decided to work on it. I took off my old wing that was broken in half and put on my new one from when I bought the kit version for the fuselage. Then I took out the stock 20amp ESC and put in my hobbyking 50amp ESC and soldered the wires. So after all that I did another power analyzer test.

My old test results:
21amps 241watts

My new test results:
28amps 315watts
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,201 Posts
OK guys I need the final word
Tailrons only or ailerons and elevator for a F-18?
Got my Dons 6000 motor mounted and
ready to install servos.
Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:21 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
I personally like the F-18 with the ailerons to allow for better high slow flying and since mine was a rocket the ailerons didn't slow it down much at all like some have stated. I'm building my fourth F-18 and mine will have both control surfaces.

I'm taking my time on this airframe since I'm doing some glAssing on several parts to include the entire fuse. I can't wait to finish her up.

Happy flying!
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
My Grippen was a difficult hand launch so much so that only I could successfully throw it with a 2 handed launch , my right hand pushing from the tail cone. And have somebody else take the Tx till it was flying. So I've decided to make it a pusher with a Suppo 2212 06 22000 Kv and a 6x4 prop. I've made longer gear legs they are spindely and look weird but my goal is to fly it without the 2nd person as a launch pilot. It did take off of asphault O K but on my dirt home field the short gear meant it ingested sand and rocks .
For about $20 ... build a catapult bungee launcher ....... then you are truly independent with consistent good launches .........

I use mine for all pushers, EDF's ... and even the parkjet which is the worst torque roll bird ever ... gets away nice and clean. My PKJ was measured at 113kph at exit of the launch rails without power applied ... now that's more than enough !!

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:03 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
glad you mentioned that joint...i thought about running some bamboo skewers along the inside

i'll leave it like it is
I've used cocktail sticks across the joint - but then next time it takes half the intakes and other with it. So now IO make sure it's well glued with 5 min epoxy and accept that in a smack - it will break there again but usually without too much surrounding damage.

I did try to find a way to generally strengthen the whole nose length - as I cut out a lot of foam to fit my oversize LiPo's ... I run 4S 1600's in my T45 ... best was 1/4 stock light balsa set into sides running back to intakes and sanded back smooth. Balsa is better than CF ... as it has a certain amount of give. But to be honest on my later T45 ... I didn't bother ....

I tend to think that many people over-stiffen there models and then create worse impact damage as a result. Typical is the cracks and breaks that occur at end of CF runs or at CA joints ...

Nigel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
So after flying today, my t45 was acting funny while flying so I quit early and decided to work on it. I took off my old wing that was broken in half and put on my new one from when I bought the kit version for the fuselage. Then I took out the stock 20amp ESC and put in my hobbyking 50amp ESC and soldered the wires. So after all that I did another power analyzer test.

My old test results:
21amps 241watts

My new test results:
28amps 315watts
No surprise there at all .... when I swapped out the stock ESC - I noted a change in motor sound as if it was running higher rpm ..

The 20A stock ESC is lets be honest OK for the piddly little 850 LiPo ... but once you move up in battery - it's good idea to up to a 50A ESC ... The Hobby King standard ESC is actually a good ESC for the T45 as it is an exact fit for that slot .. it presses in nice and tight. I do run a cocktail stick through though as insurance to keep it there.

Nigel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED-E-FLYER View Post
OK guys I need the final word
Tailrons only or ailerons and elevator for a F-18?
Got my Dons 6000 motor mounted and
ready to install servos.
Larry
Keep the ailerons linked and you will love it! You will be able to get the plane to high alpha with them so long as you just set up the right amount of expo. The plane will be very fast with that motor as well!! You will get the best of both worlds with that set up...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:22 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,308 Posts
Yeah Nigel , I've used a P V C bungee pedal launcher B 4 . And it was a problem solver
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Keep the ailerons linked and you will love it! You will be able to get the plane to high alpha with them so long as you just set up the right amount of expo. The plane will be very fast with that motor as well!! You will get the best of both worlds with that set up...
There is a school of thought and my 70mm F16 seems to bear it out as well ... that linked elevators + ailerons can cause loss of height / nose down in a turn. It's a balancing act ... snappy response of roll but a small price to pay in pitch in certain cases ... Adjustment in the combination needs tuning.

My F15 scratchbuild is linked ... and she screws out in loops but has rolls so fast - you better not blink ! Tried adjusting ... measured everything and all exact same movementt ... still she doesn't like loops ... strange !

Nigel
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:07 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Velcro is what I use to hold my esc's in place, still not flew my 2nd sabre yet think ill run that on 4s instead of 3s 1300's. still got servos to fit, will be buyin another edf sometime within the nxt wk, although I'm jut gonna buy the kit this time as I have about 7 stock esc's from my other jets and fun fighters. Plus a couple of new turnigy ones and already have a few servos so works out better i get the kit. Always excited when a new plane arrives

Weather rubbish all wk so no flying anytime soon
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:59 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
There is a school of thought and my 70mm F16 seems to bear it out as well ... that linked elevators + ailerons can cause loss of height / nose down in a turn. It's a balancing act ... snappy response of roll but a small price to pay in pitch in certain cases ... Adjustment in the combination needs tuning.

My F15 scratchbuild is linked ... and she screws out in loops but has rolls so fast - you better not blink ! Tried adjusting ... measured everything and all exact same movementt ... still she doesn't like loops ... strange !

Nigel
I have a video of my F-16 flying....and it does everything really well! Its all in the way you adjust them. You don't want the same amount of movement on both surfaces. You have to find the sweet spot. On my AMX its next to no aileron movement. On my F/A-18 it is a lot but still less than the tail. And on my F-16 its about half of what the tail moves. The F-16 is flying over 95mph and does nice big loops! Again its all in how you tune it and how you fly.

On another note... I got my fan back form Tomm77 and it looks really good! I still need to figure out what I will put it in... but here it is! Good job getting it together!! Results will be posted when I get them...

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,325 Posts
When I posted : My F15 scratchbuild is linked ... and she screws out in loops but has rolls so fast - you better not blink ! Tried adjusting ... measured everything and all exact same movementt ... still she doesn't like loops ... strange !

It was not meant that all 4 surfaces had same ... but that elevators moved exact same as each other ... and ailerons moved same as each other ... but not that the two controls were same.

My F15 has less 'elevator' movement on the ailerons by a large margin ... about 50% ... the elevators have about 75% of aileron ... gives very sweet level and bank / turns etc. - but still needs care in loops. Rolls as said are WOW ! And I think that may be part of the reason ..

My F16 is still in testing flights as I finalise her power-train ... but will need dialing down on the aileron when using elevator ... in the banked turns, any up elevator results in ailerons going up as well ... reducing lift on the wing ... when already you suffer from wing not being level ! As gooniac says - adjustment - which also agrees with my comment of adjustment as a balancing act.

Nigel
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
When I posted : My F15 scratchbuild is linked ... and she screws out in loops but has rolls so fast - you better not blink ! Tried adjusting ... measured everything and all exact same movementt ... still she doesn't like loops ... strange !

It was not meant that all 4 surfaces had same ... but that elevators moved exact same as each other ... and ailerons moved same as each other ... but not that the two controls were same.

My F15 has less 'elevator' movement on the ailerons by a large margin ... about 50% ... the elevators have about 75% of aileron ... gives very sweet level and bank / turns etc. - but still needs care in loops. Rolls as said are WOW ! And I think that may be part of the reason ..

My F16 is still in testing flights as I finalise her power-train ... but will need dialing down on the aileron when using elevator ... in the banked turns, any up elevator results in ailerons going up as well ... reducing lift on the wing ... when already you suffer from wing not being level ! As gooniac says - adjustment - which also agrees with my comment of adjustment as a balancing act.

Nigel
Great minds think alike!!