HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Well I had a rotor explode on me today in the middle of a full throttle pass. It has about 40 flights on it. I'm just shocked cause I kept it on 3S. But when I got it new the edf unit showed signs of rubbing from the factory so maybe that weakened it.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358879190.234636.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 87.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358879205.509207.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 131.0 KB
Description:
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
That looks on better shape than what mine did wen mine went boom, the housing exploded aswell.
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Yea I only have a support that broke. Thankfully I have two extra motors and edf units. Now I seem to be having a problem with the edf unit rotating in the fuselage and it rubbing the motor wires (since I have an outrunner). So I think Im gonna try electrical tape wrapped around and see if that works without making the rotor rub.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to try, but could not get the rotors on their own anywhere. That is a excellent low amp draw. I was going to try those rotors on 3s. Now I'm thinking of trying the new Lander 10 blade with the JPower motor, just need to mount it somehow.
I was thinking the same thing but with the older Lander 5 blade. I wanted to see wether the 4300kv outrunner or 4200 kv inrunner was more efficient.

My idea was to replace the threaded shaft with a plain one and use Loctite or JB Weld where the new shaft met the endbell. I'm going to guess that the new 10 blade setups will also be using a 3mm shaft.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:12 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Yea I only have a support that broke. Thankfully I have two extra motors and edf units. Now I seem to be having a problem with the edf unit rotating in the fuselage and it rubbing the motor wires (since I have an outrunner). So I think Im gonna try electrical tape wrapped around and see if that works without making the rotor rub.
a couple of small dabs of silicone will stop the spin and still come apart easy, fwiw.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
a couple of small dabs of silicone will stop the spin and still come apart easy, fwiw.

chuck.
Thanks chuck For the reply. I put a couple drops of CA to help hold it. If this rotor disintegrates like the last one I'm gonna just get the lander 6 blade rotor and try 4s.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:08 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,908 Posts
7, 8 or 10 bladed fans 50mm

Ray, the 16A on 4s (!) with the Sky Angel stock motor (4300kV) on the 50mm 8-blade AEO rotor surprise me - even though the AEO multiblade rotors have low pitch, can this be true?
That's the amp draw of the stock 5-blade fan on 3s (!)

As far as efficiency goes, I would be equally surprised if the multiblade fans would be more efficient than low-blade count fans. From what I've read, they are usually less efficient (and often dramatically so in models with poor ducting etc),, only in the case of Stumax and Schuebeler they seem to be approaching the good numbers of 5- and 6-bladers.

I think that going for more than 6 blades would serve only one purpose: better sound - coming from less whine, more white noise, AND lower rpm, just like with the 70mm or 90mm multibladers.
Currently I am running a Haoye 7-blade in my F-16, and the motor is a Turnigy 3610 with 3600kV and it's around 16A on 3s, so a frugal setup. The rotor would be too much of a load even on 3s for the stock motor, let alone 4s.
I didn't manage to balance too well, so there is vibrational noise, but overall not too bad, I've posted this video on this thread already, so only a truncated link here
youtube.com/watch?v=Ye67igwv4xk
I will dynamically balance it, Bob's balancer is on its way to me, and then it should sound really sweet. But the thrust is surely down compared to 5- and 6-bladers, for the F-16 it's sufficient because that does not need lots of thrust to fly great. I have a second one which I will also put into a 50mm shroud, and a thrird one will actually use the stock Haoye shroud which is slightly bigger, very stiff and a bit heavy for a plastic shroud, in the portly T-45. Then I won't have to sand the rotor down to fit (I always buy the whole unit because buying the rotor and the adapter separately is not much cheapter than the whole fan at HK).
I like the idea and light weight of the AEO fans, and they're cheap, pity that they are mostly coupled with completely unsuitable high-kV motors so you need to change that...

As to the new Lander 10-blade fan, it's using a 3300kV and will do some 25A on 4s, depending on the battery - so that's a candidate for a 3600kV Turnigy 2610 on 3s I guess, drawing around 20A (I would not use the heavy alloy housing but only buy the rotor as soon as it becomes avaialable)...
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
I flew my sabre on 4s with stock fan that lasted about 8 flights before exploding, since replacing with a 6 blade fan straight away it was noticeable and fitted the same fan to my t45 yet that sounds quieter than the sabre, I replaced the housing aswell on the sabre but just the blades on the t45. My 2nd, 2nd hand sabre has bigger motor with 8 blade fan on 3s 1300's can't comment on how that flys yet as I havnt managed too. But I'm liking how they fly in this setup half throttle is still quick enuff and have lots if fun with thes little bad boys
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:13 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
468 Posts
I will dynamically balance it, Bob's balancer is on its way to me, and then it should sound really sweet.

What is "Bob's balancer"? thanks
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
What is "Bob's balancer"? thanks
http://www.bobsworkshop.co.uk/outdoo...d-fan-balancer

used by, among others, "the DON"...

I want to get all my EDFs to sing instead of scream - on my AMX I was just lucky to get it balanced pretty good "by hand", and it's amazing how good the stock fan can sound youtube.com/watch?v=xnBcrXFcS5g - my others are not bad, but much louder and not as smooth as the AMX, e.g., here a MiG with the stock 5-blader, and a F9F Panther with the Haoye 6-blader, not bad but...
youtube.com/watch?v=is1GYZwfppk
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Ray, the 16A on 4s (!) with the Sky Angel stock motor (4300kV) on the 50mm 8-blade AEO rotor surprise me - even though the AEO multiblade rotors have low pitch, can this be true?
That's the amp draw of the stock 5-blade fan on 3s (!)

As far as efficiency goes, I would be equally surprised if the multiblade fans would be more efficient than low-blade count fans. From what I've read, they are usually less efficient (and often dramatically so in models with poor ducting etc),, only in the case of Stumax and Schuebeler they seem to be approaching the good numbers of 5- and 6-bladers.

I think that going for more than 6 blades would serve only one purpose: better sound - coming from less whine, more white noise, AND lower rpm, just like with the 70mm or 90mm multibladers.
Currently I am running a Haoye 7-blade in my F-16, and the motor is a Turnigy 3610 with 3600kV and it's around 16A on 3s, so a frugal setup. The rotor would be too much of a load even on 3s for the stock motor, let alone 4s.
I didn't manage to balance too well, so there is vibrational noise, but overall not too bad, I've posted this video on this thread already, so only a truncated link here
youtube.com/watch?v=Ye67igwv4xk
I will dynamically balance it, Bob's balancer is on its way to me, and then it should sound really sweet. But the thrust is surely down compared to 5- and 6-bladers, for the F-16 it's sufficient because that does not need lots of thrust to fly great. I have a second one which I will also put into a 50mm shroud, and a thrird one will actually use the stock Haoye shroud which is slightly bigger, very stiff and a bit heavy for a plastic shroud, in the portly T-45. Then I won't have to sand the rotor down to fit (I always buy the whole unit because buying the rotor and the adapter separately is not much cheapter than the whole fan at HK).
I like the idea and light weight of the AEO fans, and they're cheap, pity that they are mostly coupled with completely unsuitable high-kV motors so you need to change that...

As to the new Lander 10-blade fan, it's using a 3300kV and will do some 25A on 4s, depending on the battery - so that's a candidate for a 3600kV Turnigy 2610 on 3s I guess, drawing around 20A (I would not use the heavy alloy housing but only buy the rotor as soon as it becomes avaialable)...
Well I will for sure let you know what I come up with. Like I said before I am using the slightly larger motor that comes in the AMX and Panther which has been known to draw slightly higher amps. I am not sure what motor was in the one that I tested with Tom77. But the thrust was very high for its size and weight in the screamer! The plane had well over a 1:1 thrust to weight with the 4s pack that he was using. And I need to give Tom77 kudos for putting mine together for me! I got the 50mm AEO 8 Blade housing from Hobbypartz and provided the motor. All the rest was done by him! So a big thanks goes out to him! As soon as I can hook it up to a wattmeter I will post results...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Why is the bob balancer so much???
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Why is the bob balancer so much???
It's totally worth it I think! If it is hand made by him it is totally worth it!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Feb 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I am not sure what motor was in the one that I tested with Tom77...
I was using the smaller of the stock skyangle motors. The one that is partially red and came in one of my T45s. I noticed yours was the slightly larger motor. That should work well.

Also, take note that the rotor and housing you can get from hobbypartz does NOT come with the rotor adapter so it is useless unless you are just replacing a broken rotor or housing. I'm not sure why they selll them like that without making it clearer that you are not getting everything you need. I think its Toysonics that sells it with the rotor adapter.

I got my adapters from the complete AEO unit after I realized their motors were not sized right or something, making them complete amp hogs. (I bought several at once thinking they were going to be what I wanted... Thats a lesson learned.)
Tom77 is offline Find More Posts by Tom77
Last edited by Tom77; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom77 View Post
I was using the smaller of the stock skyangle motors. The one that is partially red and came in one of my T45s. I noticed yours was the slightly larger motor. That should work well.
Ok cool! can't wait to try it out!